A link to yet another source of information.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

A link to yet another source of information.

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 10, 2013 04:24

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/cure_smoke/curing_pork.pdf
Considering the many questions that are raised here another credable source is always good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31

Ross, thanks for posting this link. It makes a good read. I was interested in the infestation possibilities of live insects.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:53

Rancid pork-It's Whats For Dinner! :shock:

"Rancid flavor - A rancid taste is frequently associated with home-cured pork. Many people prefer cured meats with a ripe, rancid flavor that results from adding salt to the cure formula and long term aging. Salt increases oxidation which causes a rancid flavor. Salt accelerates the action of an enzyme present in muscle called lipoxidase. Smoking reduces the activity of this enzyme but ascorbic acid, which is sometimes used in liquid cures, increases the activity of lipoxidase. Since a rancid flavor is typical of home-cured pork, it is considered a. trait associated with this curing method."
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Apr 10, 2013 18:58

I'm not able to open the darned thing and with the talk of rancid meat and live insect infestations I know I'm missing out on something. Darned computers!

Got 8.7lbs of honey-cured pork loin in the Pro 100 right at 145°, won't be too long now. Put the smoke to them last night at 6pm, set the alarm for 2am to change chips and raise temp, set it again to wake up at six and remove the pan, close dampers, and raise the temp to 175°. I'm hoping for a taste other than rancid. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 10, 2013 19:19

sawhorseray wrote:I'm not able to open the darned thing and with the talk of rancid meat and live insect infestations I know I'm missing out on something. Darned computers!

Ray go to the link in the first post back in January and open that one.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Apr 10, 2013 22:31

That's the one I tried and there's no way it'll open for me. I clicked on it, copied and pasted, and typed the address into my browser, just not meant to be for me on this computer I'd guess.

Just pulled the loins off the smoker, took and hour to go from 150° to 151°, 21 hours total time in the Pro 100

I'm letting them cool down to 100° on the kitchen counter before throwing them into the fridge overnight before slicing tomorrow. I'm interested to find what kind of flavor the honey-cure my buddy gave me provides. Now I'll make a loaf of rye bread for grilled ham and cheese sannys tomorrow, big TV day with the Giants in Chicago and the start of the Masters. After yesterdays pick, shovel, and tilling to get the veggie garden in I've cleared my slate to just solid TV! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Apr 12, 2013 00:42

I decided to slice things up just before the Giants-Cubs started today, wanted to have lunch all set when the Masters started at noon. Last nights plan to make a loaf of rye bread went south when I realized I was out of yeast and carroway seeds, bought a loaf of marbled rye at the store this morning. The loins came out with a great appearance, a little salty, I couldn't taste any honey sweetness, no appearant cheese-skippers or larder beetles visible on the meat.

The $5 loaf of marbled rye was flavorless and seemed to already be going a bit stale around the crust. I did get some hi-end swiss cheese for my Masters sanny, but even with mayo and honey-mustard it was a little too dry, the bread really sucked.

I tossed the leftover half of honey-ham-cure that my friend gave me, I'll be happier going back to using CW's Canadian bacon brine. I might be able to get a French toast brekky with ham tomorrow out of that loaf I bought, then I'll toss that too and just make a loaf of real bread. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 12, 2013 04:55

If you want fresh bread you must make it at the place where you plan to eat it. When I make bread on Saturday then for breakfast on Sunday I am eating day old bread. :shock: :grin:
Ross- tightwad home cook