Pork Loin $1.99lb.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:36

Ross, you wrote:
How do you fellas manage to make a good juicy C.bacon without further drying?
I'm just now removing a few from a nice 5-day injection/soak. Brining is the secret. The brining process is unique and adds incredible moisture in that salt entering the cells alters the protein structure. However, in meat brined less than six hours may be dry when cooked. Conversely, in meat brined more than 24 hours, the texture will become mushy as the salt begins to break down interior muscle fibers.
Chickens and turkeys naturally contain some salt and lots or water, which coexist in a happy balance until we throw it off. Nature restores order (called "equilibrium") by moving water to the surface where it dissolves salt. Doesn`t this cause the meat to dry out? You bet it does! This is where correct "timing" comes in on our part. If we cook a bird that has been brined for merely three hours, the cooked product is drier than if we hadn`t salted it to begin with. However, if we cook the bird after six or more hours of brining, the results change entirely. By that point, the exterior salt had pulled so much water to the surface that the balance of the salt concentration had changed. To "restore equilibrium, the water simply changes directions, flowing back into the meat, but this time the salt "goes along for the ride" although it is dissolved. You may ask if other compounds or spices can be introduced into the meat by this method. The answer is yes, IF... the flavoring agent is water-soluble. These include sugars and salts, black and cayenne pepper, chili powder and paprika. If the compound is `fat-soluble`, such as capsaicin in peppers, it won`t work.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:44

Thank you. Always good to get a well considered answer.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:11

Chuckwagon wrote:Ross, you wrote:
Quote:
How do you fellas manage to make a good juicy C.bacon without further drying?
I learnt something new from CW's reply.
A long time ago after I made my first Ham using Loin (Canadian Ham / Kassler), CW said I should submerge the Ham in cold water as soon as they come out of the smoker when they have reached 150 IMT. I followed his advice and still do this every time.
Last week Sunday I started another batch of Loins in brine, they are in the smoker at the moment. I guess it's a personal preference, I like the lean Loin ham sliced thin or thick and I do not find them too dry for my preference.
Loin ham has also become a "comfort zone" for me, I have made them so many times and know they will not come out bad.
Ron
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 17:39

sawhorseray wrote:After cancelling the Vegas trip we're now booked into Boomtown next Sunday and Monday. Oh my, Cabelas is right next door and I've got a $300 gift card! Life is good. RAY
Every six months, I venture up to Lake Tahoe with my old college roomies for a guy's weekend. One of our destinations is always that Cabelas. Some of the guys love the fishing stuff, another the guns, me-I hang out in the 'food prep' section where all the grinders, smokers, fryers reside. Our next trip is in late April. :mrgreen:

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Feb 10, 2013 17:49

NorCal Kid wrote:
sawhorseray wrote:After cancelling the Vegas trip we're now booked into Boomtown next Sunday and Monday. Oh my, Cabelas is right next door and I've got a $300 gift card! Life is good. RAY
Every six months, I venture up to Lake Tahoe with my old college roomies for a guy's weekend. One of our destinations is always that Cabelas. Some of the guys love the fishing stuff, another the guns, me-I hang out in the 'food prep' section where all the grinders, smokers, fryers reside. Our next trip is in late April. :mrgreen:

Kevin[/quote

Funny, that's been my favorite section of the store for years now also! If fact we just finished reading the morning paper and I'm considering approaching my wife about driving up ther this morning. It's one hour and fifty minutes driving time from my house to the Boomtown parking lot, no recent snow and none in the forecast. Boomtown will give us a combined $155 cash each day, free room and meals, and they bring me all the complimentary Glenlivet I can handle. It's either that or go to the store for some English muffins and a eggs Benedict brekky. That the other thing I like about pork loin for Canadian bacon, the slices fit perfectly over a English muffin. Maybe I'll just go see what the boss thinks! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 12, 2013 22:59

Yesterday at 5pm I pulled the brining loins from the fridge and tossed them into a ice water bath for three hours to reduce the salt content.

I had them sock'd up and hanging in the kitchen for a hour before going into the Pro 100, pre-heated to 100°, to dry for a couple of hours

At 11pm I raised the temp to 110° and put on a tray of moistened applewood, time to hit the sack. Up at 6:45 this morning to raise the temp to 130° and put in a fresh tray of chips, then back to bed for a couple more hours

Removed the chip pan at 11am, closed the dampers, and raised the smoker temp to 175°. Now it's just a waiting game till the IT reaches 145° when I'll pull the loins and give them a half hour ice water bath before going into the fridge for the night.

I'll need a hearty breakfast before all the slicing and shrink-wrapping begin, Mrs G is bringing home more English muffins. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Feb 13, 2013 17:56

Couldn't sleep good, up at 3:30am to finish the project

Ended with a nice haul of tasty CB. Maybe time for a omlet!

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 18:17

Good job Ray! Should last you till the end of the week. :grin:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41

Yeah, and with a spread like that, I wouldn't be able to sleep either! :shock: My eyes would look like a couple of sheep droppin's in mercurochrome. Nice job pal. Did you say your next huntin' trip is out here in Utah and you're bringing the CB? Mmmmmm. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D