How To Bone A Boston Butt (Pork Shoulder)

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

How To Bone A Boston Butt (Pork Shoulder)

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 22, 2013 16:35

Topic was split 092313@12:45 by CW. This post CONINUED from "Need Help Brining" at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6765

Go with what the pros recommend, debone that butt and use CW's Canadian bacon brine. I like to add a ounce of Mapeleine to that brine from time to time just to change things up. If you aren't accustomed to deboning a porkbutt it can get a little tricky until you've done it a few times, it's always nice to get the bone out without the finished product looking like someone took a machete to it.

This guy give a good video as to how to go about getting out that bone. Good luck! RAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWrEDbdPsQ
Last edited by sawhorseray on Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 22, 2013 17:51

I think that is a butt. A picnic has the knuckle and the round bones and usually a good slab of skin. The method for removing the bone is a bit different on each one.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 22, 2013 20:55

I always buy the entire shoulder, usually 18-20 pounds total.

They seem to always be cut in half with one bone pictured previously and the other like this

There are a few different twists and turns but it still all boils down to following the blade. Of course it never pays to be in a big hurry when deboning, unless you're a butcher by trade. Some of the competition BBQ guys I've seen are pretty darned impressive also.RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 22, 2013 21:30

get into too big a hurry and you can put yourself into the work.
Ross- tightwad home cook
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 18:19

Thank you everyone for helping me out with this i will post pics of the smoked picnic when done. should i smoke it for 4 or 5 hours and then hot water bath it does that seem good
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:07

I've never tried the hot water bath method on a loin or butt. I keep them in the smoker until IT is reached and then dump them in ice water for 15 minutes. Fact is the only time I tried the hot water bath on some sausage everything disintegrated into a gloppy mess and got tossed so I just stick to the smoker now. Good luck and keep us posted on your results. RAY