pork bellies gone bad!

hugestapedius
Beginner
Beginner

pork bellies gone bad!

Post by hugestapedius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 18:08

Bradley smoker forum directed me here, looks like a great resource.

fml .... walked into my shop to find the refridgerator door left open 2-3". I had 10 lbs of pork belly curing. any idea if the cure might have saved the meat?. the fridge temp was 60f.

heres the stats:

-10lbs ($50) of pork belly fresh from hog 1 hr before curing.
-had been curing(skinless) in Mr. Sausagemaker maple cure (dry paste). for 5 days before
-door was left open apx. 15 hrs. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif
-temp of fridge was 60f when found, didn't check IT of meat but was cold too the touch.
-the ice box was still melting in the freezer above and dripping cool water onto the Tupperware.
-curing belly was ziplocked and tupperwared.

what if I smoke it then fully cook it.
common sense say when in doubt throw it out but $50 is $50

did the cure save this or is it junk?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 20, 2014 18:18

It hasn't been above freezing very long. I would keep it and finish it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 18:19

I don't think there is any need to throw the stuff out. Since the bellies have been curing already for 5 days, the nitrite and salt have done their job. And 60F is not 80F. Meat cures faster with nitrite at higher temps, so all that happened is that your curing period was shortened. Go ahead smoke, eat and enjoy.
hugestapedius
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hugestapedius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 18:22

I stuck it back in fridge @ 37f . would that effect it. kinda was thinking I shud have just smoked it lastnite. (when I found it). non the less I will put out now n smoke it.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 21:22

Sausage makers should remember that just because a piece of meat has been "cured" and protected against "pathogenic" type bacteria by using sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite, doesn`t mean that it is protected from the "spoilage" type of bacteria such as Pseudomonas spp. or Brochotrix thermophacta. Modern science would like us to know that uncooked or under-cooked animal flesh that spoils is typically quite "toxic", and consumption can result in serious illness or death. That being said, allow me to state that because they don`t produce toxins, Pseudomonas spp. and Brochotrix thermophacta are not typically or technically deadly, though they can be most unpleasant and cause severe discomfort and sickness.

As humans, the first thing we normally do is smell the meat although spoilage bacteria sometimes damage a project without giving off an odor at all. Look at the meat very closely. Is there a slimy texture? Is there a drastic change in color other than the normal exposure to air? Sometimes a questionable area may be cut away.

Remember, cooking or smoking the meat will not restore the damage that spoilage bacteria has caused. And meat that has already been infected with a pathogenic bacteria which has had time enough to produce toxins, cannot be "cured" by adding any amount of nitrates or by smoking it until the cows come home. Smoking does not "cure" meat. It flavors it and helps to keep mold from developing. If the meat has been infected by clostridium botulinum, the only "cure" is a flame-thrower. :roll:

I would like to know how long a period of time the refrigerator door was left open and what the estimated temperature was inside. I doubt if there has been severe damage to the project from the description hugestapedius has given us, but we should know all the facts. Are there any indications of spoilage?
I stuck it back in fridge @ 37f .
Also, be aware that the ideal temperature for the nitrite to cure meat is 38-40 degrees fahrenheit.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 22:23

The fridge door was slightly ajar for 16 hours. It took that long to raise the temp to 60F. So it was not in that temp for the entire period. Besides, 60F is the top temp that you can dry cure at, so I don't hear any alarm bells going off here. The salt and nitrite were in the meat for five days before this incident, and not added after. We normally rinse and and dry cured bacon for up to three hours at room temp (70F) before placing in the smoker anyway. And the OP is intending to smoke the bacon to a cooking temp, so to pitch these bellies would be plain nuts.
hugestapedius
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hugestapedius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 22:44

Bellies are in the smoker now in the second hour of maple.
I did little investigating. Called Mr sausagemaker.com they confirmed that the meat SHOULD be ok since it hadbeen cured for 5-6 days prior was skinless and wrapped tightly.
Ill b the test tummy before anybody else tries it.
thanx for everybodys valued opnion
hugestapedius
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hugestapedius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 22:47

^correct the fridge was open for apx 16 hrs and the temp was 60f when i found it. The ice chest was still thawing out etc. So it must have been a slow increase.
Im very surprised the compressor didnt burn out trying to keep up
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 21, 2014 00:05

Also that 60°F was air not meat or water temperature.
Ross- tightwad home cook
hugestapedius
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hugestapedius » Sat Jun 21, 2014 00:33

Correct just had a digital thermometer sitting on shelf
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 02:53

Huge,
I'm sure your project will be fine. You came to the right place pal... plenty of good folks around with sage advice. There are other forums around, (ptuooey!), :roll: but nobody delivers an opinion or an answer like we do! ...on a plate with mashed taters and salad! Ol' ssorllih will even coach you how to sail a boat! :lol: You can learn how to pick and eat mushrooms from Red, and me?... heck, I'll show you how to get on your horse from his backside! :shock: Welcome to WD, Hugestapedius. You're in good company.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D