This and That

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

This and That

Post by Shuswap » Sat Nov 29, 2014 16:13

Hog House Smoke Out

I used CW`s Canadian Bacon brine for the hocks and ham bones. This is the recipe I used for the dry cured bacon:

Loaded up the new Bradley Original for the first smoke with first time for streaky bacon, hocks, and ham bones. Bacon dry cured and hocks/bones brine cured. For the bacon I added maple sugar to the ingredients - another first and the test piece was terrific.

Ambient temp was 36F. Smoked for 2-1/2 hours but I screwed up the process so ended up with a slightly heavy smoke and IT of 133F on the bacon. Finished in the oven at 200F until 150F reached. I spilled my problems to Roger at Bradley in Delta BC and he has told me where I went wrong on a couple of fronts. Not preheating and not opening the damper enough. Geez constantly being a student is a pain! Bradley`s response to enquiries is immediate and helpful - can`t be positive enough!

Refrigerated overnight before slicing and enjoyed bacon/eggs/potato cakes for breakfast - delicious! Sliced all 4 pounds, wrapped portion sizes, vacuum packed some and bagged the other. M`s got one of the bones going in split pea soup and holding a hock for beans this w/e. The others are vac packed and in the freezer.

Now she has ordered up a loin ham and smoked salmon. Who started this?

Phil
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Nov 29, 2014 17:32

Wow Phil that stuff looks great!!

Are those beautifully laminated and turned clubs there to deter the free sample crowd?

I make loin "hams" a lot. Boiled style, great on sandwiches or in casseroles. Even small ham steaks on occasion.

Plus the loins go on sale a lot, Ross was nice enough to point out that Price-Rite has a sale this week for $1.39 lb in this neck of the woods.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Nov 29, 2014 17:45

:lol: Actually the first one was intended to be a french rolling pin but it had worm holes in one end so I cut that off and kept turning it down to make a mixing paddle. Of course, then I had to make a 2nd one. I only use them for the first mix of ingredients and then go back to cold hands for the final mix. Its amazing where this hobby takes us.
Phil
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 05:38

Phil that bacon is A-1! Lean and delicious looking, I would eat it as is. Frying will ruin it!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Dec 14, 2014 14:37

That Bacon looks fantastic!

I have a question on the Canadian Bacon and Kassler Ham:-

After smoking (for example the Ham to 150 IMT) how long can I keep it refrigerated before having to slice and freeze or freeze the whole Bacon / Ham?

As a general rule I always keep it refrigerated 1 week maximum then vacuum pack and freeze.

Keep in mind my experience is restricted and would appreciate some feedback.
Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 02:27

Hi Bubba,

7 days seems to be the most recommended period for smoked meats if wrapped in plastic or butcher wrap. If you vac seal, one month would probably be safe. Having said that, if you know you will be freezing the product, I would do so after one or two days in the fridge after smoking. That way it will be fresher and better tasting after thawing and will keep longer in the fridge. If you already had it resting for a week in the fridge, then froze it, you really should consume it right after thawing since the seven days in the fridge prior to freezing should be taken into account. In freezing it you are not starting with a new seven day period in the fridge.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:23

Thank you very much Redzed, I appreciate the advice.
Ron