1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp whole fennel seed
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp curing salt
(no salt)

If not smoking, omit curing salt.

Cheap bacon is the way to go. It`s much fattier. Just make sure that it`s naturally smoked.

Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate overnight. The next day either shape into patties or stuff into links.

If making patties, freeze until ready to use. If making the fresh sausages, poach in just enough water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. If smoking, take up to 160 internal.

A friend of mine made this and while I do not have any pictures, it is fantastic smoked with red willow or diamond willow!!! Even without salt, it is good, as the herbs give it the flavour.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:57

Sounds interesting!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 24, 2017 16:26

Sounds like a fun recipe! Might be worth having on a weekend breakfast menu. :grin: Is the omission of salt a dietary thing or just not necessary? And is the bind not compromise if there is no salt in mix?
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Fri Mar 24, 2017 18:44

redzed wrote:Sounds like a fun recipe! Might be worth having on a weekend breakfast menu. :grin: Is the omission of salt a dietary thing or just not necessary? And is the bind not compromise if there is no salt in mix?
I also questioned the lack of salt as a binder. However upon having had some, I think that the combination of prague powder, maple syrup, & beer provided the necessary bind to the meat. The sausage was tasty, and not at all crumbly.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."