Cold Smoke and Spoilage

Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Cold Smoke and Spoilage

Post by Scogar » Mon Feb 15, 2021 02:46

LOL Red, it should make you hungry since it was your exact recipe that I literally copied, but to restate it for others: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9291&hilit=kasseler.
  • 1 whole pork loin
    8% brine with sugar (72g salt and 8g Cure #1, 30g sugar) per litre of water
    Spices (per litre)
    6g peppercorns
    6g whole coriander
    1 bay leaf
    4g crushed juniper berries
    1 clove garlic
In my case, I made 4 liters of brine so I multiplied your recipe by 4. I cut the loin in half, and put each piece into a 2.5 gal ziplock and split the brine with one half in each bag. 6 days later, the afternoon of Monday the 8th of February I pulled and let it equalize until Wednesday at which time I started the cold smoking process. I used white oak sawdust in one of those coldsmoker trays. Each day lasted 8 hours of smoke. I went with three days instead of the two you earlier suggested because the evening after the first smoke I placed the loins in the refrigerator instead of my cooler. Meaning, I started smoking on day 2 the meat which was at 1°C. Since I learned from this site that I should probably not cool the meat down so much between smokes, I added another day.

My temps on the 3 days were:
  • Day 1 - 24-29°C
    Day 2 - 15-18°C
    Day 3 - 10-15°C
I learned to use my smoker on cold rainy days instead of nice sunny days if I want the smoke to remain cool. Thanks Red, this was a delicious recipe and I don't know that I would change anything.