[USA] Braunschweiger - Liver Sausage

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Re: [USA] Braunschweiger - Liver Sausage

Post by Rick » Sun Dec 08, 2019 04:05

I didn't see where the recipe called for any ice water? If I use my buffalo chopper how much crushed ice can I add?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 08, 2019 06:27

None.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Mon Dec 09, 2019 01:11

No water and 2 cups non-fat dry milk, I thought it might come out on the dry side.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 09, 2019 03:29

These wobbly bits aren't lacking in moisture whatsoever. In fact, if you make it don't stick a temperature probe in the chub when you first begin to poach it because it needs time to set up or you'll have a bloody mess on your hands.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 09, 2019 03:33

Here is what the grind looks like and as you can see from the throat the meats are nearly frozen.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sat Dec 14, 2019 08:47

I know this is an old thread, but while researching liverwurst I was pretty well set on starting with cooked/ poached liver as I've seen numerous recipes calling for it, but then I come across this recipe with Butterbean grinding raw liver. What would be the pros or cons to either?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Dec 15, 2019 17:38

Good question. I really couldn't say but in this case the mince/slurry is the whole pluck of wobbly bits all seasoned and ready to go into the casing. I don't know if adding cooked liver would change the consistency or not but it seems like it would. And why would you want to cook it twice other than to possibly dilute the flavor of the liver which this is already diluted by way of the other meats. Just my thoughts.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00

Thanks for the reply BB. To add to my confusion I started researching the difference and in Liver sausage chapter of the "The Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausage" they state...."Liver must NOT be cooked" then in all the recipes I looked at, the instructions states, to poach for 8-10 minutes. What?
Then the liver sausage recipes on their website calls for cooked meats and raw liver.
I think I'm going to go with the raw product and add some cure in a small batch and see what I end up with.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:40

I'm wondering it the reason some recipes call for cooked liver is too make the product more spreadable. The cooked proteins wouldn't be binding the the fats and water, so it's more of a pate in texture then a cooked sausage?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 16, 2019 20:13

DanMcG wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:40
I'm wondering it the reason some recipes call for cooked liver is too make the product more spreadable. The cooked proteins wouldn't be binding the the fats and water, so it's more of a pate in texture then a cooked sausage?
That makes sense.