Beef Liver Pate

Butterbean

Beef Liver Pate

Post by Butterbean » Fri Dec 25, 2015 08:51

For the holidays I thought I'd make some pate. Have made it in the past but never really made any that really suited my taste. Always too gritty or to livery so I tried to learn from the past and make something that better. Ended up making this concoction and it turned out really good. So good that even people who don't normally eat liver really liked it.

Here is my process.

After cleaning and cutting the liver I marinated it in muscadine wine. Just seemed to be the thing to do at the time.

Next I cut up two med-large sweet onions and put them in the skillet with about a half cup bacon grease and fried till caramelized then added eight cloves minced garlic and cooked further for about five minutes then removed this mix with slotted spoon.

I then added diced liver to the grease and cooked till no blood showed then set it aside to let it cool some.

I use a basic Pate/terrine spice for a foundation.

It consists of:

1 teaspoon black pepper, coriander, thyme, bay leaf then a 1/2 tsp mace, marjoram, and Cajun spice mix. All based on dry ground measurements.

For each pound of liver I added 1 teaspoon of this mixture. Then add 1.5 tsp of allspice for each pound. Allspice is magic on liver and takes away that metallic taste people find offensive with liver. Then added a tsp of kosher salt to each pound and 1/4 tsp of black pepper.

Add all to food processor once cooled some and pour remains of bacon grease from skillet over the top and chop. It was obvious the Pate was heading toward that grainy texture so I began adding sour cream until it took on the silky texture I wanted but the taste was still lacking so I thought so I added two tablespoons of prepared dark German mustard and for the heck of it I added three drops of Carolina Reaper hot sauce. Any would do but people familiar with The Reaper know it hides itself and only reveals itself at the end with a beautiful flavor - when used judiciously. Three drops is a plenty so a drop per pound is gracious plenty.

The the silky texture and marvelous flavor of this pate is incredible and the flavor from the Reaper at the end just sets this dish off. I'm imagine any self respecting trained chef would find fault in this recipe but it works good for me and everyone who tried it - even the non-pate types - liked it a lot. I plan on trying this with venison. I think it will be a hit too.

Our Christmas Eve finger foods.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 25, 2015 13:12

That sounds good Butterbean!

I think you just redefined "adjust to taste" :shock:

Fine looking Horsdevours .....especially all the homemade stuff !

Merry Chrstmas
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 26, 2015 20:08

Bob K wrote:I think you just redefined "adjust to taste" :shock:
:lol: Yeah, I sortof let my taste buds get carried away but I have to say there wasn't a single person who didn't like it. Maybe this should be called an anti-pate? :mrgreen:

Just look at how creamy it is. Of course when you add bacon grease and sour cream I don't think you could expect anything less. :mrgreen:

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 28, 2015 22:54

Nice job on the pâté! The recipe has been added to our Members" Index.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 28, 2015 23:29

Thanks. I think its pretty worthy. Everyone whose tasted it loves it. Evil people who aren't crazy about liver. I can't wait to try this with some venison.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 28, 2015 23:35

Butterbean wrote:Thanks. I think its pretty worthy. Everyone whose tasted it loves it. Evil people who aren't crazy about liver. I can't wait to try this with some venison.
Evil people? Freudian slip? :lol: :lol:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Dec 29, 2015 00:21

redzed wrote:
Butterbean wrote:Thanks. I think its pretty worthy. Everyone whose tasted it loves it. Evil people who aren't crazy about liver. I can't wait to try this with some venison.
Evil people? Freudian slip? :lol: :lol:
:oops: :oops: Even is what I meant. I think my computer is possessed!