Tinned corned beef: How do you make it?

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Tinned corned beef: How do you make it?

Post by markjass » Thu Jan 15, 2015 06:50

Am thinking of making something along the lines of tinned corn beef. Not looking for a recipe, but interested in the process.

What method is used when making this?
What cuts of meat would you use?
Is it made like a terrine?
Is it cooked as a whole then shredded?
When is the cure added?
Is the meat cured first?
How is it cooked, poached, baked?
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jan 15, 2015 16:06

Mark-
Do you want info on canning (tinning) corned beef?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 15, 2015 16:51

Canning corned beef follows the same rules as canning fresh meat. Pack it raw in wide mouth pint/half liter jars, add no liquid, clean the sealing surface apply the lid and band, Process in a pressure canner 75 minutes at 10 PSI at sea level 15 psi above 1000 feet elevation. allow the canner to cool naturally and open the canner and remover the jars to a towel when the pressure in the canner is at zero. http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/strips_ ... hunks.html
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 15, 2015 16:55

Pastrami is merely smoked corned beef. This is the recipe for pastrami stop where is starts with the smoking and can the meat.
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... s/pastrami
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Jan 15, 2015 18:02

Hi Mark,

We have some information here too.

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-other-meats/formed
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 15, 2015 19:25

Mark, I was too late to add this as an edit. But when canning meat you must leave one inch of head space between the top of the meat and the rim of the jar.
Ross- tightwad home cook
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Fri Jan 16, 2015 14:52

Thanks for you for your comments. Canning meat is not on my agenda. I need to think on and then ask the right question. I suppose what I want is a cured shredded beef product, maybe a loaf that works well for sandwiches or a pressed beef (like ham).
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 16, 2015 23:45

Mark , Why not use beef seasoned as for corned beef or pastrami and some of it ground and some knife cut into chunks and stuffed into large casings. There are recipes for doing that with pork and I have often don it with poultry. This is pork seasoned and cured as for ham.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Sat Jan 17, 2015 01:55

Here's a thread... http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... ght=corned
Too bad Benjamin was criticized and it didn't go far. :???:
Butterbean

Re: Tinned corned beef: How do you make it?

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:29

markjass wrote:Am thinking of making something along the lines of tinned corn beef. Not looking for a recipe, but interested in the process.

What method is used when making this? I cure and season meat first cut into small chunks
What cuts of meat would you use? Any you wish depending on what you want.
Is it made like a terrine? Yes ... it can be
Is it cooked as a whole then shredded? Any way you wish - some can be ground and some chunked.
When is the cure added? Cure first with seasoning and put in vac bag to cure.
Is the meat cured first? Yes - that's how I do it
How is it cooked, poached, baked? Any way you want. Can even smoke it. Just don't cook too hot.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:00

Found the answer to what I was looking for. A recipe for british corned beef. Here is the link: http://helengraves.co.uk/2014/12/how-to ... ent-151868
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Feb 05, 2015 14:19

Mark-
On this side of the pond that would be called corned beef hash and usually potatoes are also added.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sat Feb 07, 2015 00:39

In the UK (where I come from) and New Zealand (where I now live) corned beef hash is a dish that is made from tinned corned beef. Which is diced or mashed up. It usually has potatoes (mashed or fried), and spices that are mixed together and then fried either alone or with other ingredients such as onions. The debate on corned beef has is endless. Should mash or fried cubed potatoes be used. Here is an article from a British national newspaper that was published 2 days ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ash-recipe

From my feelings nothing green should go in (leave that to bubble and squeak) and the potatoes should be cubed and fried.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sat Feb 07, 2015 01:09

In the recipe that I am considering using for brining (herbs and spices are not listed, not my recipe) the brisket (3 kg one) is brined in:

330g salt
300ml vinegar
2750 mls of water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
36g Prague Powder No.1

They cure the meat for 7-10 days.

There are about 3785 mls of water in a US gallon. The amount of cure seams quite low (mainly to add the colour and flavour). The amount of salt is high compared to what I use and low compared to the M. brothers, ? to offset the amount of cure. I was surprised about the use of vinegar. This will flavour, tenderise the meat (change its texture) and act as a preservative.

When I cure bacon or ham I would use:
150g salt and about 94.5g of cure for about 3 liters of water. I cure ham, by that I mean the individual muscles from the rear leg rather than the whole leg for 6 days. I do not fully understand degrees SAL. Am I right in assuming that I use less than 20 degree SAL.

The M. use about 120g cure (the amount I use is based on their calculations) and 600g of salt for a 60 degree SAL. This is to salty for me.

Am I comparing like with like. What are peoples thoughts?
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Cracked it

Post by markjass » Mon Mar 09, 2015 14:09

Will write at length with pictures. Needless to say I cracked it. I did not set out to recreate the commercial product, just a product that is less bad for my health and tastes a truck load better.My corned beef tastes stunning. So much richer than the tinned variety (some call it bully beef), it has a lot less salt, preservatives, E numbers, no sugar and much less fat in it.

Did not make much because I was not sure of the recipe that i adapted. I cured the beef for 7 days, poached it in the oven for 5 hrs, then shredded it. pressed it in a block overnight in the fridge. I have had sandwiches, hash and tonight I used the hash mixture to fill a pie. This is the first time I have ever made a pie. Truth be told I bought the short crust pastry. Next time, that wont be to far away, I will make my own pastry. The pie is designed to be eaten cold for lunch with a salad.