Canning fully cooked smoked meat safely

angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Canning fully cooked smoked meat safely

Post by angelwannaB » Sun Dec 07, 2014 19:14

after losing $100's of meat & other items in my freezer I hardly have the heart to store my smoked meats in the freezer. I have searched gov sites & other sources on this subject coming up with no info except on youtube. Pocono Prepper posted a video of canning smoked brisket, I have a full size one and would appreciate any input on canning smoked meat, dry or otherwise...I know if its possible someone here could help me....thank you in advance :lol:
Just passin thru ....
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Canning fully cooked smoked meat safely

Post by Devo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 19:33

angelwannaB wrote:after losing $100's of meat & other items in my freezer I hardly have the heart to store my smoked meats in the freezer. I have searched gov sites & other sources on this subject coming up with no info except on youtube. Pocono Prepper posted a video of canning smoked brisket, I have a full size one and would appreciate any input on canning smoked meat, dry or otherwise...I know if its possible someone here could help me....thank you in advance :lol:
If you do a google search with the words "USDA smoked canned meat" you come up with many hits. Here just one that I found

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/p ... 345%29.pdf
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Sun Dec 07, 2014 20:20

thx Devo...I have books on canning meat but can't find anything specifically "smoked" meat.... I've canned many different things with meat...however I am interested dry canning sliced smoked brisket ... has anyone canned smoked meat...if so how did it turn out, mushy, or did you cook it partially before processing

I watched the video on youtube of Pocono Prepper, she shows how, just wondering if Chuck wagon or anyone has done this method
Just passin thru ....
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 20:27

angelwannaB wrote:thx Devo...I have books on canning meat but can't find anything specifically "smoked" meat.... I've canned many different things with meat...however I am interested dry canning sliced smoked brisket ... has anyone canned smoked meat...if so how did it turn out, mushy, or did you cook it partially before processing

I watched the video on youtube of Pocono Prepper, she shows how, just wondering if Chuck wagon or anyone has done this method
This is written for big game, but no reason why it wouldn't work for brisket.
Everything I've read says to use a pressure-canner for meats and high protein food to keep them safe from the baddies. Are you using one?
http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum ... ?TID=11292
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Sun Dec 07, 2014 20:41

yes, got an AA & couple prestos...know the routine just never saw this particular method addressed .... many dry can cooked ground beef & have great success...I want to preserve this giant brisket I'm getting ready to put in my MB electric smoker ... definately NOT wanting to freeze after my losing all my butts, ribs & other briskets not to mention my veggies :roll:

have you ever tried it or heard of anybody doing it?
Just passin thru ....
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 21:21

No, I have a All American pressure cooker and always wanted to can some smoked speckled trout but only got to the point of researching it.
I know there is a whole section in Home Production Of Quality meats by Stanley Marianski for canning if you have that book.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 21:54

Read this over also. Seems to be pretty simple since your brisket is already cooked. Unfortunately it will have to be cubed so it fits into jars but I'm sure it will be fine. Here is blog you might be interested in.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay105.html
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 07, 2014 22:14

You must have some liquid in the jar for canning meat. The meat is going to be very much over cooked when it is finished. But with that said just do up a canner load and see how it works. I canned the entire content of my freezer when hurricane Isabel knocked out the power for a week. (We have a gas stove)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 07, 2014 23:46

It can be done in retort bags without liquid. Think of MRE's.
There is some info here:
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Q-View/R ... erBags.pdf

Look at Butterbeans post in robbed at the border thats how the ribs were done

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... 0494#30494
Last edited by Bob K on Mon Dec 08, 2014 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Mon Dec 08, 2014 01:46

thx everyone, yes I have Kutus & Marinski bros books...appreciate your help
Just passin thru ....