Tartar Sauce Recipe Needed

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Tartar Sauce Recipe Needed

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 06, 2012 06:09

A couple of decades back I tried making my own and things just didn't live up to expectations, way too "eggey". I eat a lot of lingcod and snapper, egg-washed, dipped in panko or bread crumbs, fried in olive oil and butter, couple of minutes a side at most. Hoping to find a good recipe here that's not all spice'd up, just a nice compliment to some good fish. Thanks in advance for your offerings. RAY

PS: I'm a firm believer in pickle relish.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Sep 06, 2012 14:33

Just checked Food Network. They have 192, figure you should be able to find one to your liking. Good luck.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 06, 2012 17:40

nuynai wrote:Just checked Food Network. They have 192, figure you should be able to find one to your liking. Good luck.
Thanks, I printed the first one that came up, looks like it'll work great. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Sep 06, 2012 18:30

I like sweet pickle relish chopped fine mixed with real mayonaise. I tend to turn up the volume of the relish. In a pinch, I use Hellman's mayo.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 06, 2012 20:18

Butterbean wrote:I like sweet pickle relish chopped fine mixed with real mayonaise. I tend to turn up the volume of the relish. In a pinch, I use Hellman's mayo.
Hellman's is the same as Best Foods, which is what we get out here in the west, it's all I've ever known for mayo. I'm going with sweet pickle relish and fresh squeezed lemon juice instead of wine vinegar, probably try it out tomorrow with some lingcod fillets.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Sep 06, 2012 21:43

I've never used vinegar or lemon. Might have to try that though.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 06, 2012 23:04

Butterbean wrote:I've never used vinegar or lemon. Might have to try that though.
I was interested to see what things would come out like so I took a break from my busy schedule,(ha-ha), and pounded out a little batch. I made quite a few changes from the recipe the Food Network called for because I can't see spending $5 worth of gas to go to the store and buy 50≠ worth of ingredients. I have a lemon tree in my backyard and just used what what on-hand, came out OK. Here's the FN recipe, then my changes

1/2 cup good mayonnaise
2 tablespoons small-diced pickles or cornichons / sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon Champagne or white wine vinegar / juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon capers / finely chopped yellow onion
1 teaspoon coarse-grained mustard / honey mustard
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 00:44

I like adding some prepared horseradish to mine. Not to mention cocktail sauce.

Tartar sauce is one of those things that you keep tasting it till you get it right. Hopefully you are still hungry by the time you are done! :mrgreen:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 00:56

I just like mine plain but I do like malt vinegar on my fish and coctail sauce on the side.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Sep 07, 2012 02:50

Cabonaia wrote:I like adding some prepared horseradish to mine. Not to mention cocktail sauce.

Tartar sauce is one of those things that you keep tasting it till you get it right. Hopefully you are still hungry by the time you are done! :mrgreen:
I've changed tonights menu and will have the Costco lamb loin chops I found in the freezer tomorrow, the lingcod is thawed and ready to go. I agree about the horseradish, I used the honey-mustard because I didn't want to open a new bottle of deli-mustard with the thought of using only a teaspoon of it. How foolish and lazt of me, I have the stuff in the pantry. I do have prepared and creamed horseradish in the fridge, I like to combo them up. I'll make a little adjustment right now, horseradish is good for the sinuses. I like cocktail sauce with fried shrimp, and egg-rolls. RAY
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Sep 08, 2012 02:11

A little prepared horseradish made the difference for the tartar sauce going from OK to good. I love lingcod and cabazon, two of the oceans greatest gifts.

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Sep 08, 2012 06:45

Lingcod and cabazon - a fine meal indeed!