[USA] Make your own pastrami for great sandwiches

two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Sat Mar 17, 2012 21:13

Here is my first attempt at making Pastrami. The taste was phenomenal! I used some simple seasonings of black pepper, coriander, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes, all held in place with a coating of yellow mustard.

Here are a couple of seasoned briskets about 4# each.

This is after about three hours of thin Hickory smoke.

And here is the finished product after I removed a slice or two for tasting. Never gave it a thought if I was cutting across grain or with grain; I just wanted a taste!

I definitely plan on doing more of these!
Thanks for stopping by.
Jim
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 20:06

Jim they look great!
Dick

Never quit learning!
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Sun Mar 18, 2012 21:15

I would have wanted a taste, too! Great Job!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Mar 19, 2012 21:31

Dick and Lynn, thanks for the encouragement. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it really was. The hardest part of the entire process was the waiting to taste it!

We ate half of one brisket just for Saturday evenings dinner, serving three adults and one child!

Lynn: The next time I try this I will have a shaker of some sort at the ready, to evenly distribute the seasonings. I know you have one coming up, so thought I would share that tidbit.

Jim
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Mon Mar 19, 2012 22:32

Thanks for the tip, Jim.

Smoked and finished the pastrami this afternoon. It's happily ensconced in the fridge. So far, Saturday's corned beef leftovers have kept the pastrami safe!!! Hopefully tomorrow I'll post the amazing adventures of Pastrami and CB pics.
Stanislaw Lec
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Tue Mar 20, 2012 01:09

Sorry my timing was off Lynn. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I'll bet you sneaked a taste already! :grin:

Jim
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Sun Mar 25, 2012 17:44

At long last, the photos of corned beef and pastrami. The corned beef was terrific - I oven baked it after a three hour water soak. It sliced up beautifully and was just the perfect amount of salty.

The pastrami? Ah, the pastrami. I completely forgot to soak the pastrami before I applied the spice rub. Sadly, it was far too salty to truly enjoy. However, I made notes of everything I learned. Not the least of those things is that I really need a daily work list. This is still very new to me and I haven't quite got the rhythm yet. But I will!

Thanks to all for the support!
Stanislaw Lec
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 23:03

Jim and Lynn, both your projects look incredible! I made one along with you just for fun. Your photography is marvelous but it looks as if your brisket is even better. :lol:
What's next up on the project list kiddies?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon Mar 26, 2012 00:42

Beautiful meat!!!!!!
Dick

Never quit learning!
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Tue Mar 27, 2012 15:35

Chuckwagon wrote:Jim and Lynn, both your projects look incredible! I made one along with you just for fun. Your photography is marvelous but it looks as if your brisket is even better. :lol:
What's next up on the project list kiddies?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Hey CW, thanks for the encouragement! I do enjoy this hobby even more when our efforts are successful! We just completed a 12# batch of Devo's "Kielbasa My Way", made with 6# of venison. We sure love the garlic and pepper flavors. Also, I have the picnic ham in the brine and plan on poaching it this coming weekend. Kabanosy is next "on deck" somewhere soon. That will be my first attempt at turning my Bradley Smoker into a drying cabinet.

Jim ~ I have so much to learn!