[USA] Make your own pastrami for great sandwiches

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 08:16

Wow, Jerbear, it looks pretty good. How about the smoke? How long did you decide to smoke it?
Hey, next time you slice, remember that the real pros never use a serrated-edged knife and they always allow the meat to cool overnight. Next day, it is roasted low & slow to serving temp and cut across the grain very thinly. The thin slices are stacked up as high as you'd like, but the the meat is cut thinly to assist your molars and jaw muscles.

Next time you go into a restaurant and order a steak, take note of the knives you'll be using. If you get an ordinary knife, you're in luck because your steak will be tender. If you are unfortunate enough to get a serrated knife with your steak, be prepared to have your jaw muscles ache from the workout they'll receive. A serrated edge will rip its way through your steak.

Tough brisket? Hey, remember where it comes from. The area between the two front legs of a steer. That's working muscle man! It has to be cooked long n' low to be tender.

Back up and hit it again Jerbear! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Feb 06, 2012 17:21

I completely agree with the serrated knife assessment and only use mine for bread products. Everything else goes with a straight edge blade, if you knife isn't sharp enough to cut a tomato is just isn't sharp enough! I couldn't wait for the full overnight rest so cut the section you see above from the tail end (literally and figuratively) of the flat cut after about 30 min of resting post roast. It wasn't cut across the grain because it would have been a high and thin cut and dangerous so I layed it on it's side for a safer cut for now.

I went aheat with two hours of light applewood smoke. I could barely smell it, the garlic scent was all over the place, but my wife said she could just taste it and thought it was perfect. I'm going to slice it up (across the grain :mrgreen: ) tonight on my newly inherited slicer. I'll post updated pictures then.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:12

Ok, sliced and bagged. Gotta say, this stuff is the reason I make charcuterie....waaay better than the store-bought stuff. Sliced on the vintage electric slicer my grandma just donated. I took the end pieces and trim and pulsed it in my food processor for pastrami hash.:

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:20

Hi Jerbear,
Nice job on the final slicing. Looks good guy. Here`s a couple of serving and cooking suggestions for your pastrami.

"Rocky Mountain Reuben"
(Pastrami On Rye Sandwich)

Although I`m just a pudgy little Swiss boy, I have several Jewish friends who know how to make a terrific "Rocky Mountain Reuben" with homemade pastrami on warm sourdough rye bread. They stack on plenty of Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, kitchen-crafted dill pickles, and of course, a little grated Parmesiano Reggiano. Out here, they spoon on plenty of "Shotgun Sanford's .12 Gauge Mustard" then butter the bread and pan-fry the sandwich in a buttered black skillet until the cheese melts. Some folks like to preheat another black iron skillet and place it on top of the sandwich as it presses down and heats the "lid" of the Reuben.

While you're trying the Reuben Sandwiches, you may also wish to make a "Rachel Sandwich" also.

"Rocky Mountain Rachel Sandwich"
(Another... Pastrami On Rye Sandwich)

rye bread
1/4 pound thinly sliced pastrami
Swiss cheese
coleslaw
Thousand Island salad dressing

"London Broil"

"London Broil" is not actually a specific cut of meat although most folks associate it with flank steak (between the plate and hind shank of a beef) or brisket, the tough, muscular cut from the chest. In the Depression Era of the 1930`s, Keen`s Chophouse, a New York butcher shop, applied the term to any large, tough, cheap, and generally unknown cut of meat usually ignored by average housewives shopping for the best bargains hard-earned nickels possibly afforded.

Today, butchers in supermarkets still place neon-orange label stickers on thinner-sliced chuck shoulder, top round, bottom round, and any other unfamiliar cuts they wish to unload on unsuspecting and hesitant homemakers who are not quite sure what to do with the stuff! Flank steak (brisket) is almost never included these days, as the price of the tough-stuff has almost tripled with the popularity of barbecued brisket.

The chuck shoulder has great flavor although folks slicing it against the grain, see three distinct muscle groups leaving unappealing seams of fat in each slice. Further southward on a northbound cow, the top and bottoms rounds steaks are found and though, more uniform in shape, they`re a little tougher and stronger in flavor. Persnickety folks may even avoid them, stating they taste a little "livery". In the 1950`s, some brave cowpuncher declared he had discovered the solution by simply marinating the meat in Italian dressing overnight. The recipe was well accepted, however the product tasted like vinaigrette - not beef.

Just what is it that makes this cut taste as if it were rubbed in rust? Just use a little "saddlebum science". The more active a bovine`s muscle is, the more oxygen it requires to simply function. Oxygen stored inside an iron-rich protein called myoglobin is released by heat. This released oxygen reacts with the fatty acids found in all meat, producing compounds called "aldehydes". No, not cowhides... aldehydes. Produced during oxidation, the progression develops "off tastes" not unlike liver or iron! The solution? Lynch the cook or simply shorten the cooking time of the London Broil by pre-heating it a bit by wrappin` the stuff inside a little plastic wrap and placing it into 100 degree water an hour before it`s slapped atop the grill. Besides getting rid of the gray band between the sear and the center, the actual cooking time of a steak and inch and a half thick is almost cut in half, shortened from twenty-two minutes to only about thirteen! Now you may understand why the best chefs allow refrigerated steaks to come up to room temperature before cookin` `em.

Grilling London broil over direct heat has the reputation for buckling or curling. Unlike other cuts of better steak which are turned only once during grilling, London broil should be flipped every sixty seconds for seven or eight minutes, then placed over indirect heat until it`s internal temperature registers about 125 degree in about five more minutes.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Feb 11, 2012 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:54

First it was no corn in corned beef. Next, it's aldehyde, not cowhide. Sheesh! Where can the poor critters hide? (Grand-kids say: Tied inside a double-wide.)

Another food myth, up in hickory smoke. Next burning (well, okay, smoking) questions (Inquiring minds want to know):
--If you use real marbles, do you get well-marbled meat?
--Can you be anti-teen and protein at the same time?
--Is a Maillard mallard a Frenchman with feathers? :???:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 05:33

Hi Duck,
We used to get up early and saddle up before dawn to round up the aldes around these parts. The alde is a particularly ferocious critter who only appears during the full moon in the early morning hours. Their hides are of significant value because they are tough as iron. These "aldehides" cannot be penetrated by any caliber below that of an .06 and they are even impervious to inextirpable molecular acid. As a matter of fact, the only substance I`ve ever seen affect an aldehide was a shot of my mother`s neon-green hot chili sauce! :shock:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 17:34

WhooBoy! Me gusta! :grin: How about a recipe for that green chili sauce? Is it New Mexico style green chili? ...the old, traditional kind? I don't know if you can still find that sort of thing where you live, but if you're in eastern Utah, maybe so. (We need a new thread for that topic, too.)

Used to be, you could pull over at any ol' truck stop on the way between Texas and Colorado and have great green chili enchiladas. (Happy memories of Santa Fe, Hobbs, and "Alber cue-cue," as the kids used to call it.) Nowadays, when you ask the waitress which is hotter, the red or the green, and she sez "red," you know it's "tourist-friendly," not the traditional style, and you should order a hamburger instead.

Which reminds me, used to be, there were some really ratty places to eat in Hobbs. Nowadays, though, they are referred to as a "rodent-friendly environment." :lol:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Feb 08, 2012 20:04

I showed my wife (Domestic CFO) this pastrami thread & even read to her the recipes-including the 'Rocky mountain Reuben' CW posted.

I've now been given the clearance to proceed. Now I just gotta find some good prices on beef briskets!

I see toasty hot reubens in my future! :grin:

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Feb 08, 2012 20:45

I got mine at Costco, about $2.39/lb I think, maybe a smidge more. It was Choice, not a bad deal.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 00:27

Hi Guys,
As St. Paddy's Day nears (March 17th), some larger stores will have bargains on "Corned Beef" 'kits' - a brisket usually wrapped in heavy plastic along with a separately-sealed packet of Professor Loinhoc's phantasmagorical, unprecedented, and incredibly phenomenal, secret blend of salt, salt, coriander, salt, mustard seeds, salt, and pepper. Yeah, it's a gimmick to get you to buy the brisket, but they sometimes have a brisket inside that's not too bad at all - at a sale price. The trick is to cure the stuff yourself and use your own fresh spices with a measured amount of much less salt. Don't be afraid to ask for the butcher. Ask him to show you a couple of briskets and note how they "bend" as he handles them (with his glove-covered hands of course). If he handles the meat without gloves, just throw a Hoolihan lassooo 'round his ankles, tie the slack off at the saddle horn with a couple of half-hitches, then drag him feet first out of the store where you can repair his attitude. Ask him about the "sale price" of the brisket while you're discussing proper sanitation and hygiene techniques with the man. I'm sure he'll be happy to oblige! :mrgreen:
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Feb 09, 2012 01:09

Chuckwagon wrote:Don't be afraid to ask for the butcher. Ask him to show you a couple of briskets and note how they "bend" as he handles them (with his glove-covered hands of course). If he handles the meat without gloves, just throw a Hoolihan lassooo 'round his ankles, tie the slack off at the saddle horn with a couple of half-hitches, then drag him feet first out of the store where you can repair his attitude.
CW,
Prior to any necessary butcher-wrangling, is there some characteristic in particular I should be looking for as said butcher plies the brisket between his glove-covered mitts? Flexibility? Twist? Rebound? Bend-i-ness? I want to find this information out before the butcher snaggin & draggin' ensues......

-Kevin
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Feb 09, 2012 03:41

I'm gonna make a guess here because I just did the same thing when I selected my brisket. Because beef fat will get fairly hard under refrigeration the less flexible the brisket is the higher the fat content, consequently less lean meat. I picked the thickest and most flexible brisket at my local store and it served me well.

Pictures of the finished product are a few postings up.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 05:08

Selecting And Trimming A Brisket

Selecting the best brisket from a butcher`s cold case is almost a combination of skill and luck and cookin' the ominous article may seem as if a miracle were needed. On the range, you may choose and cut an eight to ten pound brisket from a medium size beef, having checked the cut for flexibility - and the brand on the steer! :lol: Place your hand vertically beneath the center of the butchered brisket and let the brisket "flop" over the edges of your hand. As with the selection of tenderloin, find a pliable cut with a natural bend. If it is tough coming from the meat locker or butcher shop, it will be difficult to make it more tender upon the barbecue grill.

The large end of the brisket is called the "point". Place the brisket upon a cutting board and remove the outside fat from the brisket's backside with a boning knife. This layer will not render drippings and is hard, tough, and often slightly yellow in color. With a boning knife, cut the thing almost to the muscle so there is only a slight amount of fat remaining. It will look mostly red with just a bit of fat remaining. Yes, there is much waste in preparing a good brisket.

The fat at the front of the brisket is handled a little differently. Notice two things. First, how deeply you must cut into the fat layer of the brisket in order to remove the maximum amount of fat separating the two muscles. This fat layer invariably remains in the center traveling the length of the brisket, separating the two muscles. Second, note the inch thick layer of fat along the bottom of the brisket. This layer will vary anywhere from 1/4 inch to about 1 inch in thickness. If you select a brisket with the 1/4-inch of fat trimmed along this side, you must thank your butcher, as it certainly did not come that way. The goal is to trim this fat edge to about 1/4 inch in thickness, offering a protective layer during the long period of cooking. Although this hardened fat will not render, it will help keep the meat moist while preventing it from absorbing too much strong smoke smudge, becoming overly bitter or having too strong a smoke flavor.

Braising A Barbecued Brisket
(Breaking The Collagen For Tender Meat)... more "saddlebum science" :roll:

Rather than corning a brisket, lots of folks just choose to bake it low and slow, then finish it in a little smoke on the grill. Professionals sometimes inject about a half-cup of "secret braising sauce" into a large roast or brisket for peak flavor. And just what is "secret braising sauce?" Juice a large white onion with two large garlic cloves through your juicer (not your processor - not your blender). Add a few teaspoons each of soy and Worcestershire sauces, then double the volume by adding slightly salted water. It`s that simple. Be sure to penetrate the beef in several places with the needle. Next, using your hands, rub a light coating of your favorite seasoning rub over the entire surface of the brisket. Why not try a bit of my "No Bull" Rub on the derned thing!

"Noble 'No Bull' Brisket Rub"
(Beef Brisket Rub)

1/3 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup paprika
3 tblspns. chili powder
2 tblspns. ground black pepper
1 tblspn. ground cumin
1 tblspn. ground oregano
1-1/2 tblspns. garlic powder
1/2 tspn. cayenne pepper
1/2 tspn. powdered mustard

Next, sear and brown the meat in garlic-flavored bacon drippings inside a large camp-Dutch oven or on a griddle. Allow the meat to develop a bit of caramelized crusty "bark". Place the brisket into a large baking vessel and add only enough water (or stock if you prefer) to come halfway up the sides of the meat. For ultimate flavor, use a little apple cider and two bay leaves.

Place the brisket covered with foil, in your kitchen pre-heated oven at 235° F and braise the meat by slowly simmering it until it reaches an internal temperature of 210 degrees. Maintain that temperature for another full hour to produce an exceedingly tender roast. Begin checking for doneness following another hour`s braising. Start soaking some hickory chips and light your outside grill at this point. For a heavy smudge, I like to spray a little liquid smoke into the hickory sawdust I use for smoking. However, please remember that beef cannot handle as much smoking as does pork. Don`t over-smoke your brisket!

Why is this brisket tender and not dry? At 150 degrees, collagen begins to melt and becomes gelatin-like as the temperature climbs. Collagen is the predominant protein in connective tissue and is moderately tough to chew. And that`s not all! It is found in abundance in tougher cuts of meat.

Now, here`s the saddlebum science behind this project. At 150 degrees, the bonds between individual protein molecules become stronger and tighter and the muscle tissue will have tightened fully at this temperature. In fact, these bonds become so tight they drive water from the meat back into the braising liquid. If removed at this point, the roast will become tough and dry. Surprisingly, once the internal temperature of the meat reaches 170 degrees, a second process begins as melted collagen makes meat seem tender and moist. Don`t stop cooking yet! Further heated, the collagen in the muscle will break down progressively into soft gelatin as the tightened muscle tissue strands continue to separate. Because most collagen won't melt completely until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 200 degrees, the meat must be fully cooked to this temperature to take full advantage of this phenomenon. At this stage, moisture from the cooking liquid will accumulate between the fibers of the meat and as the roast is cooked through to an internal temperature of 210 degrees, the bonds between the protein and water actually rupture. Although the finished product is still tough muscle tissue, it will be more succulent as the collagen has converted into soft gelatin. Inspect the meat closely and you'll see resultant opening of gaps between the tough strands of muscle.

The ideal way to finish a braised brisket or a pot roast is to place it upon a grill a few minutes inside very heavy hickory smoke smudge. Remember to pat the meat dry before placing it onto the grill, as meat will not take on smoke if it is moist. Finally, brush the thing with melted butter and then remove it from the heat allowing it to rest a few minutes. Slice thin n` grin!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 01:54

Well I picked up 20lbs of beef brisket today- Smart&Final@$2.29 for a 14lb monster; and a pair of 3lb flat-cut briskets from Costco.
The brine is cooling, so sometime time in the near future I'll be injecting the group before tucking them away (well-submerged) for their 5-day soak in the fridge.

Speaking of Pastrami: When I was in high-school, I worked at Togo's Sandwiches in San Jose, CA. 'Togos' at that time hadnt become a national chain. In fact, the founders were two frat guys from San Jose state who began selling their sandwiches on-campus in 1971. A few years later, they opened the 'first' real Togos in a converted house near a commercial business park. This 'house' is where I worked. Aside from making sandwiches, I worked in the kitchen as the 'cook' with two other guys my age who had the title, "Slicers." Back then, we made quite a bit from scratch-the guacamole, egg salad, tuna salad, all large batches stored in 2-pound buckets & kept in a walk-in cooler. We received weekly deliveries of 100+pound chilled crates of vacuum-sealed whole roast beef and pastrami briskets. The 'slicer's' job was to take these briskets and using several large industrial slicers (we had three), they'd spend their shift thinly slicing a mountain of the roast beef and pastrami. The sliced meat was then put into a 5-gallon buckets & placed in the cooler. We had a standard stash of about 6-8 buckets that would last only a few days. You can slice an amazing amount of meat in a 4-6 hour shift. Those slicers were scary. Glad I never had to use them.
My job was to keep the sandwich-making area well-stocked. I'd grab one of those big buckets, take a few pound of the sliced meat & cook it in a large commercial steamer unit.
I loved the smell of cooking pastrami.... it made the best sandwiches right out of the steamer! Togos back then had a local bakery deliver fresh loaves everyday, too. Good stuff!

- Kevin
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Feb 12, 2012 02:16

Great story Kevin. I love hearing history like that.