Pig-in-blanket and sausage rolls

Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Oct 22, 2011 03:34

Ross, those look ready to serve in any top rated restaurant.

That looks like a whole wheat bread dough, it must have been a very delicious combination.
I'll give the bread dough with sausage filling a try as well.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 22, 2011 05:12

24 ounces of unbleached flour 4 ounces each of whole wheat and rye, 32 ounces total flour 22 ounces of liquid consisting of one egg 12 ounces of milk and the balance as water, tablespoonful of salt and of yeast. that made the dough. Enough to wrap 3 1/2 pounds of sausage. I had five pounds mixed in five flavors The Polish didn't get into the mix and only a half pound of the longansia made the cut.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 29, 2011 01:26

I have since given a couple of pounds of this to friends that were going to visit extended family. I am told that it has been received with great enthusiasm. I believe that the product has good marketing potential. The individual pieces are about 2 ounces with approximately equal parts sausage and bread.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:38

Hi Ross,

Is it not amazing how much endless opportunity there is? Maybe with a bit of marketing you could grow this in to a side venture?
Combined with the "quick food" appeal, the bread dough with meat stuffing is unique, I can understand that your extended family received this with great enthusiasm. :grin:

Tomorrow I have family visiting, and am going to make some breakfast sausage today but without the casing to your idea of just pressing through the stuffing tube. I'll separate them with plastic wrap to refrigerate, then fry some up in the morning.
The left over I will freeze and then vacuum pack into portions so the round meat is not flattened.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 29, 2011 13:13

I extruded a pound of sausage onto freezer paper in one long strand and put it in the freezer just like that. When it was hard I cut it into links and straighten the bends and packaged it up.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 31, 2011 02:38

Had my favorite neurophysiologist and her husband over for supper. Offered them bean soup made with ham stock and longkanika sausage rolls in bread. The thought that they had been well fed.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Oct 31, 2011 18:35

Hi Ross,

Based on your earlier suggestion to make "sausage without casing", I ground 2.5 lbs Pork Butt on Saturday night and used a Breakfast link spice combination from a recipe I found some time back. (I can post the recipe tonight when I'm on my home computer)

Using some parchment paper that I cut in strips, I extruded the mixture through my Vertical stuffer, froze them that night and then fried some samples after defrosting yesterday morning. They kept their shape perfectly; I asked my daughter and her husband to criticize the flavor. I felt the salt was a little on the shy side and they agreed, but just adding a little more salt.

Otherwise they worked out perfect, and make a good part of any breakfast.

Your method is a keeper, quick, easy and economical.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 31, 2011 21:38

Casings can be expensive and if we don't need them why use them. I use freezer paper for catching the extrusion as it comes out. I was picking up 20 inch long sections that were just cold but not frozen. Hold both ends and a point in the middle and I could move it from paper to bread dough.
Ross- tightwad home cook