Brined Turkey

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Brined Turkey

Post by DLFL » Thu Nov 24, 2011 22:18

Even though I had brined chicken and pork steaks years ago while in the Philippines I had never thought to do a turkey. So thanks to this forum I got the courage to go ahead and brine one using the recipe I used on chicken . I have to say that 4 days for a 17lb turkey was the most worthwhile endeavor I have ever undertaken to roast a turkey. It was so tender and moist I just about drooled all over the pies! Flavor!!!!!!!!!! WOW

Dick
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 24, 2011 22:23

Tell us again the brine mix please.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Nov 24, 2011 23:13

Brined Turkey

2 liter lemon lime soda
3-inch piece of fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch green onions
1/2 cup salt
1/2 gallon water
1 cup soy sauce

a few days before needed, mince ginger and garlic, dice onions 1/2 inch long and add to 1quart water, hold in refrigerator.

# of Days to brine

Whole Turkeys (up to 10 lbs.) 1 - 2 days
Whole Turkey (over 10 lbs.) 2 - 3 days
A Very Large Turkey 4 - 5 days

"Subtract one day if injected"

Day to start brining add all ingredients and stir to dissolve salt.
If the turkey is to be injected: Take 10% of turkeys weight in brine to be injected.

Inject as below:

Breast - 3 injections 50% of the brine
Thigh - 2 injections 25%
Drumstick - 1 injection 10%
Wings - 1 injection 10%
Back (each side) - 1 injection 5%

Place turkey into food safe container and pour remaining brine over the bird. Add water if needed to cover. Hold in refrigerator.
Last edited by DLFL on Sun Nov 27, 2011 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 24, 2011 23:16

Thank you.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Nov 25, 2011 14:00

DLFL wrote:It was so tender and moist I just about drooled all over the pies! Flavor!!!!!!!!!! WOW
Glad you loved it Dick! An update from my end also on this delicious recipe:-

Previously, in the topic Philippines Grilled Chicken I mentioned how I had tried some Turkey portions and trying this ahead of Thanksgiving.
I have family from the Rolltide state of Alabama and the GA Dawgs state of Georgia visiting me for this weekend.
Well, they all "voted" ahead of time in favor of a non-traditional meal with Turkey not included :cry: .
But my previous endeavors were not going to waste, because I made a second batch of thighs and breasts before they arrived, then served it on Wednesday night as a snack thinly sliced with crackers and cheese on the side.
And they were all regretful that they did not choose to have Turkey yesterday. :lol:
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 08:00

Bubba,
You can't just leave us hangin'...
What DID you have in place of the turkey? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Nov 26, 2011 13:15

Chuckwagon wrote:You can't just leave us hangin'...
What DID you have in place of the turkey?
:grin: I cooked a leg of Lamb and also made some Bobotie.

The night before I rubbed the Lamb with some fresh pressed garlic, spread some fresh rosemary over the outside and sprinkled a little all purpose seasoning, then wrapped it up in some cling wrap. The next day I cooked it over charcoal.

Bobotie is a traditional baked dish made with Beef.

Then along with that I made all the other usual sides. Oh, and I told the ladies they were "banned" from Ron's kitchen this weekend. This was men cooking weekend. :lol:

And just for the posting, here is a photo I took very early this morning from my front porch, a heavy dark cloud was moving in from the south. This is Bubba's view of the South.

Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 26, 2011 17:11

Bubba, I fix leg of lamb that way with oliveoil added to the garlic/rosemary mix. But garlic rosemary and lamb seem to be a match made in heaven.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:18

The leg of lamb sounds great!
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 23:39

Dick, how did you fare this weekend? Did you burn the dressing?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Sun Nov 27, 2011 02:52

Well we had the gang over for thanksgiving. I decided to make 2 turkeys one was our traditional mixed spice brined bird 23 lbs., the other was chuckwagon's "smoke n' choke brined and smoked version, 25 lbs. . Needless to say CW's recipe won the taste test hands down. Regular brined recipe didn't even get one vote! Once again hats off to CW.

John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 27, 2011 03:01

Wow ! that's a lot of food! How do you use all of the left overs?
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 03:32

Chuckwagon,
It was a great day, pies, 17 lb. turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, chicken and noodles, cranberry's, and candied sweet potatoes. All this for three people!
Dick

Never quit learning!
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Nov 27, 2011 03:40

Bubba, I love lamb so I would of been quite happy with your meal. Good too hear that they liked the turkey!
Dick

Never quit learning!
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Sun Nov 27, 2011 03:43

Hi Ross,

There was only about 1.5 lbs. of regular brined turkey left and none of CW's recipe. We had about 18 people. everyone brings a dish to pass so we have lots of veggies and deserts. All the leftovers are sent home with the kids. I may have to build a bigger smoke house to accommodate more turkey as my grandchildren say that they would like to take some back to share with there friends at college.We will be having about 25-28 relatives Christmas eve, so it's about time to plan the food for that occasion. With all the good stuff I see you making maybe you would have some good ideas for my buffet, as I like to add new things.

John