Ross's Maryland Bakery

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jul 18, 2013 16:48

Thanks to both of you, I think I'm all set! I'll make some buns and rolls tomorrow, I've got a ham and pineapple pizza on the menu for tonight. My wife feels there's no place for pineapple on pizza, but I'm the doing the cooking. Managed to break a incisor on a piece of fried chicken I brought for snacking on our trip, off to see the dentist. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19

Ray, you wrote:
Managed to break a incisor on a piece of fried chicken
Geeeeeeze Ray, what are you feeding your chickens? Bolts n` rocks? :roll:
Hey ol` pal, sometime back I wrote a paper on the reason people gag on the cold fat in cold picnic chicken. If you prepare your own chicken for snacks (served cold), then you should check out this simple trick that eliminates the cold, greasy, fat in picnic chicken. Check it out at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4973

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jul 19, 2013 16:56

The fried chicken thigh was heated up in our hotel microwave, and was darned tasty too! It was obviously a chicken that worked out a lot when it was alive, probably slapped the other chickens around the hen house. Now I get a crown on my upper left side to compliment the two on the right side of my mouth from chomping down a duck and pheasant filled with buckshot. That's just another great thing about sausage, I can be pretty darned sure there's no buckshot in it. Gonna be a lot of pizza, sausage, and burgers the next three weeks until the permanent crown is ready. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jul 19, 2013 17:43

I once chipped a tooth on a hard rustic bread crust.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 08:13

Ross, you ARE a hard ol' rustic bread crust! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Pulled pork BBQ in hand pies

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 23, 2013 15:29

I had a package of BBQ in the freezer so I made a batch of bread. (Eggs, milk, water sugar, salt yeast variety) and chilled it over night and rolled it thin this morning. I used a #30 portion scoop for a measure and placed a square of dough on each pile of meat and cut them out. The cutter is 3 inch diameter. Image I made the left over dough into rolls. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Jul 23, 2013 15:32

Ross,

That's a beautiful cutter. Did you steal it from the Smithsonian museum?
Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 23, 2013 15:39

I found it at TJ MAXX for $3.50 and was pretty sure I could find a good use for it. I had in mind the mince pies that I make in this manner when I bought it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 07:55

Suuuuurrrrre! Ross.
Both IdaKraut and I know where you got this thing. If you say it didn't come from the Smithsonian museum, then of course, it didn't! :shock:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 24, 2013 13:27

I must not protest too much....I must not protest too much....I must not protest too much.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jul 24, 2013 16:13

I think I'm starting to home in on the type of bun I want to produce. I love the flavor the recipe provides, it's the shaping that has given me a hard time. The burger press seemed to do a fairly nice job, tho each bun took about 4.5 ounces of dough, almost double what Rudy recommended

21 minutes in a 380° oven seemed to be just about right

Back to the kitchen to get started on some burgers to put between those buns. RAY

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 24, 2013 16:49

Ray the appearance is good. When you cut them is the texture uniform? 4.5 ounces is a lot of bread to eat with a burger. Store bought generally run 8 to the pound and they can be skimpy for a large burger.
I will continue to work on these also.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jul 24, 2013 17:27

I made the standard mix of 16 ounces of liquid to 24 ounces of flour, my yield was 10 buns and a roll. The burgers I'm in the process of making right now will weigh a half pound each, CW's "hipshot" recommendation. I think the buns came out OK, I'll know more later. Wife is out of town on business, going a little slow this morning. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 24, 2013 18:03

Bread loses a little weight during baking and for that size burger you need a large bun..
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jul 26, 2013 00:20

After 48 hours the buns were heavy and crumbly, dry. I had them stored the entire time in a 1-gallon Ziploc freezer bag, and that bag was inside a 2-gallon Ziploc bag. RAY