first Coppa

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

first Coppa

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 06:07

Hi,
My first Coppa at 35% weightloss with the much talked about UMAi/Tubex bags.

Taste is great, I will make some more shortly but will delete the cloves although they are not overpowering.
What amazes me is that there is no dark rim.
Another bigger Coppa started at the same time will dried to a 40% weight loss for comparison.
I am satisfied that these bags work OK.
Cheers,
Jan
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:01

Wow, looks good! I have bought my bags and am currently waiting for an order of culture before trying a coppa and some venison salami.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Jul 26, 2014 13:34

Jan, did you use the recipe for capicola provided by UMAi using just the cure #2? I`m curious if you covered it in paprika when putting it in the bag. That`s what I did.

I see CW`s recipe for cow kick`n coppa has a different procedure to get pretty much to the same result.

I like the netting - I`ll do that next time. Mine is only at 8% weight loss today - a ways to go.

Cogboy, why are you waiting for a culture?

Phil
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 19:54

That's a beautiful piece of work Crusty ol' soul! Nice goin'! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 20:26

Hi Phil,
I used a slightly modified version of Len Poli's recipe but everything basically was the same including the curing times with half the spices/salt used initially and the rest of the cure mix added later on.
The next lot I will delete the cloves though.
Now another 2 weeks waiting probably to test the bigger Coppa when it reaches a 40% weightloss

Cogboy, I hope you are not going to use a culture on the Coppa you are planning?
Cheers,
Jan.
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Sun Jul 27, 2014 03:08

Looks fantastic Jan.
I'm looking forward to trying this years effort. Small one should be ready in next couple of weeks. Bigger ones will be at least another 4 to 6 weeks away. Last years turned out too salty
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 16:42

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Phil,
I used a slightly modified version of Len Poli's recipe but everything basically was the same including the curing times with half the spices/salt used initially and the rest of the cure mix added later on.
The next lot I will delete the cloves though.
Now another 2 weeks waiting probably to test the bigger Coppa when it reaches a 40% weightloss

Cogboy, I hope you are not going to use a culture on the Coppa you are planning?
Cheers,
Jan.
, No I figured to make venison salami at the same time with some of the leftover pork butt after I cut out the coppa.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:07

Cogboy-

There is a good venison salami here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6979 posted by Redzed..if you dont have FLC culture it can be made with TSPX. (I am considering substituting Cumin for the cinnamon and cloves though).

And Jan there are whole muscle cultures manufactured....problem is finding a source.
http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6817