[POL] Pierogi

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 16:23

My Mom and Mother in Law made them with-prunes, apples, strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries, elderberries, etc. Whatever was in season. Make the dough and fill in whatever you want.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 16:33

bacon,onion and cheese are what I like :mrgreen:
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 16:38

The ingredients are only limited to your imagination and what you enjoy.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 23:45

Here is my Complete Recipe for Pierogi that was handed down to me from my Mother! It is very detailed as I complied it for a friend of mine who is not Polish and wanted a traditional Polish Pierogi Recipe. I am getting ready to make several batches of these for our Traditional Christmas Dinner and for all my kids to take home with them for the Freezer! I have it on a word Document if you want shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will be happy to forward it to you!

PIEROGI - MOM`S POLISH RECIPE
In memory of Maria Kieltyk (Mom) Recipe Compiled by John Kieltyk

Dough Ingredients
● 4-1/2 pounds un-sifted Flour
● 1 Large Egg (Yolk Only)
● 1/8 Teaspoon of Salt
● 1 Quart of Warm Water (4 Cups)
Directions
1. Place Flour into a Large Bowl.
2. Add Egg and Salt.
3. Add Water Slowly until all ingredients and combined thoroughly.
4. Place Dough Mixture on a Lightly Floured Surface and Kneed until Firm but not overly sticky.
Note: Dough mixture can be made in advance (one day). Place Dough into Small Air Tight Bowls with lids or cover with Plastic Wrap and Refrigerate until ready to use.
This recipe mixture will make enough dough to for approximately 80 Pierogi.

Assembling Pierogi
1. Pull off a small piece of the Dough and Roll into a Circle approximately 3 to 4 inches in diameter.
Note: Rolled Dough should be at least 1/8 of an inch in thickness. The Dough may be rolled out in a sheet form and a 3 inch round cookie cutter used to cut out round shape, then either rolled out a little larger or stretched out over filling for a more uniform Pierogi`s.
2. Place approximately 1 Tablespoon of the desired filling mixture into the center of the rolled out circle.
3. Fold the Dough in half over the Filling.
4. Pinch the ends closed and fold over any excess dough and pinch closed again.
Note: A fork may be used to better pinch the dough together.
5. Repeat the process until all the dough and/or desired filling is used up.
Mom`s Traditional Filling option(s) and recipes to follow.

Cooking Pierogi (Initial cooking)
1. Fill a Large Pot with water and Bring to a Boil.
2. Carefully Drop Assembled Pierogi into the Boiling Water (Uncooked Perogia will sink to the Bottom of Pot)
3. Cook until the Pierogi begin to float (approximately 2 to 3 minutes), to prevent them from sticking to the bottom give the water a stir once you place approximately 6 or 7 into the water.
4. Remove from boiling water after they have floated to the top and cooked for the 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Place into a colander and allow to drain off excess moisture and to cool completely.
6. Brush cooled Pierogi with a small amount of Butter and place them on a baking sheet lined with either Parchment Paper or Waxed Paper in a Single Layer and place into Freezer to flash freeze them.
Note: Doing this will keep them from sticking together.
7. After cooling and flash freeze process place them into a reseal-able Zip Lock Baggie
Note: Label with Filling Type and Date for future reference.
8. For additional protection from the Pierogi`s sticking together, place parchment paper between each layer of Pierogi`s placed into the freezer bags.

Preparing for the Table
1. Place the desired amount of Pierogi into a Skillet with approximately 2 Tablespoons of Melted Butter.
2. Cook on a low heat, turning them often until Pierogi`s turns slightly golden brown and filling is completely warmed.
3. The Pierogi`s may be either cooked frozen or allow them to thaw before reheating and this normally takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes depending on stove temperature settings. (If preparing them from the frozen state cook them on the lowest stove temperature to allow the filling to cook thoroughly).
4. In addition, you may want to sauté them with some finely chopped Onions.
5. The addition of sautéed Onions is best with the following Pierogi fillings, Potato with Cheese, Meat with Sauerkraut, Sauerkraut, Kielbasa with Sauerkraut and Mushroom.
Continued on Page 2 (Fillings)
Continued From Page 1
Pierogi Fillings
Farmers Cheese - Potato with Cheese - Sauerkraut - Meat with Sauerkraut - Kielbasa with Sauerkraut
Apple - Cherry - Mushroom with other options (fruit fillings) available

Farmers Cheese Filling Ingredients
● ½ pound of Farmers Cheese (Andrulis Farmers Cheese)
● 1 Large Egg (Yolk Only)
● 2 Tablespoons Sugar
● 1/8 Teaspoon of Salt
● 2 Tablespoons of Half and Half (Coffee Cream may be Substituted)
Directions
1. In a Bowl, Crumble Farmers Cheese into Small Pieces.
2. Add Egg Yolk, Sugar, Salt and Half and Half.
3. Mix all Ingredients thoroughly. (Do not use a Mixer to Mix Ingredients - either mix by hand of use a fork)
4. Place mixture in a covered bowl until ready to use.

Sauerkraut Filling Ingredients
● 1 Jar Sauerkraut (approximately 2 lbs.)
● 1/2 Cup Onion (Finely Chopped)
● 1 Medium Sized Carrot (Finely Chopped)
● 3 to 4 Bay Leaves
● 3 Tablespoons Butter
● 1/8 Teaspoon of Salt (to taste)
● 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
Directions
1. Drain Sauerkraut of liquid, Rinse and Squeeze with fresh water. (This mellows out the sour taste of the sauerkraut) Rinse and squeeze until the sauerkraut suites your taste (sourness level).
2. Finely Chop Sauerkraut into small pieces approximately 1/4 inches or smaller.
3. In a large Skillet place one (1) tablespoon of Butter along with the Onions and Sauté until browned.
4. Add Sauerkraut, Bay Leaves, Carrots and Salt and Pepper (to taste) along with the remaining Butter.
5. Reduce Heat to a simmer and cook sauerkraut uncovered turning often, as not to burn the sauerkraut.
6. Cook the sauerkraut thoroughly on low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
7. Remove Bay Leaves after Sauerkraut in cooked.
Note: Allow sauerkraut mixture to cool completely before using. (May be made a day or two in advance), to store place in a covered bowl and refrigerate.

Sauerkraut with Meat Filling Ingredients
● 1 Jar Sauerkraut (approximately 2 lbs.)
● 1/2 Cup Onion (Finely Chopped)
● 1 Medium Sized Carrot (Finely Chopped)
● 3 to 4 Bay Leaves
● 3 Tablespoons Butter
● 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
● 1/2 Pound of Lean Hamburger (Ground Round or Ground Chuck)
Directions
1. In a medium to large Skillet crumple Hamburger into small pieces and brown completely.
2. Drain all excess fat from the Hamburger after browning.
3. Prepare Sauerkraut the same as listed above in sauerkraut filling. (Steps 1 and 2)
4. Add the Chopped Onion and Butter to the Hamburger and sauté until the Onion is browned.
5. Add the Sauerkraut, remaining Butter, Bay Leaves, Carrots and Salt and Pepper (to taste).
6. Reduce Heat to a simmer and cook sauerkraut uncovered turning often, as not to burn the sauerkraut.
7. Cook the sauerkraut thoroughly on low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
8. Remove Bay Leaves after Sauerkraut in cooked.
Note: Allow sauerkraut mixture to cool completely before using. (May be made a day or two in advance), to store place in a covered bowl and refrigerate.

Continued on Page 3 (Fillings)

Continued From Page 2
Pierogi Fillings

Potato and Cheese Filling Ingredients
● 8 to 10 Medium Sized Potato`s (approximately)
● 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
● 1/8 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
● 2 Tablespoons of Half and Half Cream (Coffee Cream may be substituted)
● 1/4 Cup to 1/2 Cup of finely chopped Onion
● 2 Tablespoons of Butter
Directions
1. Brown Chopped Onions in one tablespoon of butter and set aside.
2. Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
3. Cook the Potato`s in a large pot filled with water until fork tender.
4. Drain the water from the Potato`s and mash.
5. Add the remaining Butter, Onions, Cheddar Cheese, Half and Half, Salt and Pepper (to taste).
6. Mix all ingredients thoroughly and ensure that the cheese is completely melted.
7. Allow the mixture to cool completely before using.
Note: Mashed potato mixture should be firm to allow for spooning into the Pierogi Dough without running. This mixture can also be made in advance (one day) and stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator.

Apple Filling Ingredients
● 1 to 2 Large Apples (Chopped Finely)
● 4 Tablespoons Sugar
Directions
1. Peel and core the Apples.
2. Chop Apples into a very fine (small) dice.
3. Mix chopped Apples with the Sugar thoroughly.
4. Take extra care to ensure the edges are sealed completely or they will come apart when boiled.
Note: This filling should not be made in advance. Make and use the filling Immediately.
It helps to keep the mixture as free from excessive liquid as possible and one method to do this is to put the filling in a strainer so the juice continually drains as it forms while you are using it.

Mushroom Filling Ingredients
● 1/2 pound Fresh Mushrooms (approximate), (Personal Preference as to what type of Mushroom to use)
● 1/2 Cup Onion (finely chopped)
● 4 Tablespoons of Butter
● 1/8 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
Directions
1. Wash the mushroom`s thoroughly and drain off excessive moisture.
2. Finely Chop the Mushrooms (Small Dice).
3. In a large skillet add the Onions, Butter and Salt and Pepper (to taste) and Sauté until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the Mushrooms to the skillet and Sauté the mixture till the mushrooms are thoroughly cooked and reduced, approximately 10 to 20 minutes on medium heat, stirring the mixture occasionally throughout the cooking process.
5. Allow the Mixture to cool completely before filling the Pierogi`s.

Other Fillings:
Kielbasa with Sauerkraut - Prepare the same as the Sauerkraut with Meat filling except replace the Ground Beef with one (1) ring of Kielbasa that has the casing removed and then finely chopped and cooked down, drain off any excess fat before adding Sauerkraut.

Cherry - Cherry Pie Filling is best used for this, you may want to add a slight amount of sugar if the filling is to tart for your taste. You have to be careful that you do not over fill the Pierogi and you must ensure that the edges are sealed very well or they will come undone when you boil them. It helps to slightly freeze the Cherry Mixture (not completely) to make forming the dough around the filling easier.

Some other types of fruit that can be used to make Pierogi`s are - Strawberry, Plum, Pear, and Blueberries.
Serving
Pierogi`s can be eaten as cooked (Boiled or Reheated in Butter), Served with Sour Cream, and Sautéed Onions.
Fruit Filled Pierogi`s are best served as is or you can serve them with a small amount of Whip Cream of even Ice Cream.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 00:35

Yummmmo Ymmm Ymmm :lol:
Outstanding John. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Dec 02, 2011 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 02, 2011 00:49

I believe that is the most comprehensive recipe that has ever been posted here. I will print it out for myself and a couple of friends.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Dec 02, 2011 01:28

Thanks for sharing John. I have never tried many of your fillings but sure will now! My favorite to date is Farmers Cheese and Potato.

Dave
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Dec 02, 2011 02:26

JBK, thank you for posting the recipes. I love Pierogi's!

I have had Potato and Cheese before, and likewise I will try the other fillings you have posted.
Ron
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 02:47

Your Welcome Guys :smile: Hope you enjoy them! Make a lot they freeze well and make a quick meal any time you want them! My kids say I never make enough!

And I am looking forward to Making some with my own Kielbasa thus year :mrgreen:
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 03, 2011 22:45

jbk101 wrote:Your Welcome Guys :smile: Hope you enjoy them! Make a lot they freeze well and make a quick meal any time you want them! My kids say I never make enough!

And I am looking forward to Making some with my own Kielbasa thus year :mrgreen:
John
John I linked your post to a friend that is as good a cook as I and i am sure that before long I will enjoy some of the pierogi's that she makes from your recipes. She said that it made her hungry just reading the recipes.
She is one of the best examples of how people can turn out to be fine no matter how they were raised. She told me that she didn't know that those funny brown thing in the grocery stroe that were labeled "Potatoes" could be used to make mashed potatoes just like what comes from the box until after she had finished college and was doing her own cooking. Fresh veggies were never cooked in her mother's kitchen.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 09:19

Thanks for the recipes John, your pierogi's look great. I just finished making 12lbs of Polish Sausage that will go great with these :smile:
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:53

ssorllih wrote: John I linked your post to a friend that is as good a cook as I and i am sure that before long I will enjoy some of the pierogi's that she makes from your recipes. She said that it made her hungry just reading the recipes.
Let me know what kind she makes for you and if she likes them as well as you like them also.

I can say the one thing that I am thankful for is my mother making sure that she taught me how to cook (I have 3 sister and was the only boy), but she felt that we all needed to learn how to cook and made me learn :lol:
Gray Goat wrote:Thanks for the recipes John, your pierogi's look great. I just finished making 12lbs of Polish Sausage that will go great with these
Make some with Sauerkraut and your Polish Sausage, just use the Sauerkraut and meat recipe and replace it with Kielbasa that has been diced finely! They are the Best :grin: One of my favorite was to make them :cool:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Dec 05, 2011 16:00

John , I will do that. Their work has slowed down a little with winter coming on. They have a sailboat rigging business.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 16:23

Great looking stuff John. Lookin' at those pierogis makes me hungry. We should add an emoticon that show some chomping teeth :smile:
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Mon Dec 19, 2011 07:24

Easy Dough, After making thousands of pierogis, dough in 15 seconds: Use a food processor! 4 eggs, .5 cups of cold water pinch of salt and 2 cups of high gluten flour. Spin eggs and water with the pinch of salt, add flour and spin until all is mixed. IF dough is too loose add flour until the consistency of desired dough that You want. If dough is too heavy add water. After a few batches (size of eggs matter) You will have it down. WATCH OUT FOR BLADE! Use a wet spatula and drop dough on floured table to roll out. Also, ALL pieces from batches of dough can be used again. Just add water. The big thing is how much can Your food processor handle without bogging down. Cheap Black and Decker will not be as good as a Kitchen Aide (better than a Cuisinart imo) Just adjust. Friends to Me this is better than sliced bread when making these. Will be making these Tuesday for Wigilia. Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia!

Anyone know how to use this image shack to post a pic to this post??? I got into image shack and uploaded a pic but I cannot transfer to this post ! 30 minutes, I give up
Keep them safe until they all come home.