[USA] Blackriver's Chili Recipe

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Blackriver's Chili Recipe

Post by Blackriver » Sat Feb 04, 2012 19:34

I was going to grind my own meat to make chili. I have heard of a course grind called a chili grind. Has any one ever done that? I was thinking of grinding 2 times through a 1/2 inch plate. Does that seem right?
Last edited by Blackriver on Sat Mar 10, 2012 23:39, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 01:41

Hi Scott, you ol' salty dog!
You bet that will work. I've even seen it larger and only run through once. There are some folks out here that even make it larger using a cleaver in each hand with quick chopping - the original food processor. :roll:
What else are you putting into the chili? Wanna try something good? Put a shot or two of soy sauce and a tablespoonful of tomato paste in a plastic bag with the meat overnight in your fridge. (Be sure to mix it throughout the meat). It really add a nice subtle flavor when the meat is cooked. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun Feb 05, 2012 22:49

Thanks a lot for the reply! Great idea on the soy sauce and tomato paste. I might even pass it through only once. Like always you are very helpful!
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 23:54

Hi Scott,
You got me interested in your chili recipe. Can you PM it to me or put on the forum?
CW's suggestion of marinating the meat overnight in soy sauce and tomato paste sounds good to me.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 08:59

Hi Jan,
That's an ol' trick chuckwagon cooks have done with Dutch ovens. The flavors of soy and tomato paste (not sauce) is saturated in the meat the night before it is browned in a little melted butter the next day. When the "Malliard Effect" turns loose with all its flavors, the soy and tomato have already worked overtime. Of course, all the other chili ingredients go in the pot the next day also, right along with the pre-flavored meat.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Feb 07, 2012 01:45

Jan, I would be more than happy to post my recipe.

1978 World championship Chili

This is a large batch but it can be divided in half.

3 medium onions diced
2 green bell peppers (stems &seeds removed) diced
2 large celery stalks diced
2 small cloves garlic minced
1 or more jalapenos (stems & seeds removed) minced
2 tablespoons vegtable oil
4 pounds coarsely ground lean chuck(Chili grind)
1 (7- ounce) can diced green chiles
2 (3-ounce) bottles commercial chili powder
2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 (15 ouce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons cumin
hot sauce to taste
1 (12 ounce) can beer
1 (12 ounce) bottle mineral water, not carbonated
2 to 3 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
In a large stock pot, saute the onions, green peppers, celery, garlic and jalapeno in the oil until soft. Add the beef and continue to cook until the meat is browned.
Add the remaining ingredients, including 1/2 can beer (chef says drink the remainder) and just enough water to cover the top. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 hours, stiring often. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:23

Hi Scott,
Thank for the recipe. I have a 1/2" grinding plate for my #22 mincer so no problems with the chili mix.
All the ingredients look great. I might have to use rump steak for the meat as chuck is expensive here and I have heaps of rump in the freezer.
Can you see any negatives in using rump? apart from it being on the lean side and not marbled very well.
Thank you again.
Best Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 07, 2012 03:49

Jan , you might add some beef fat if you have it. Kidney fat is best. The man I learned meat cutting from said that the farther back you gou on a steer the poorer the meat gets.
A rancher I knew in Oregon said the full cuts from the beef thigh were called soup bones in the 1930's. The loin and the ribs were the primal cuts.
Ross- tightwad home cook