[USA] World's best sandwich

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] World's best sandwich

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 14:09

For Super Bowl festivities I made what is claimed to be the world's best sandwich.

It was indeed delicious...world's best? that's quite the hype for sure, but with a few tweeks it may be the world's best.

Cut the top 1/4 off a loaf of fresh bread. Mine was about 8" round and take out the inside of the loaf to make a bowl

In a heavy pot saute 200 g shallots and 500 g mushrooms with 1/2 stick butter, some Worcestershire Sauce and some brandy. Cook until dry and set aside.

In a super hot (cast iron) pan place two nice rib eye steaks that have been well seasoned. Place in 400* oven and cook to nice medium rare.

Place one steak in bottom of bread bowl. Cover steak with mushroom and shallots. Add a few slices of swiss cheese, some horseradish and some spicy brown mustard. Place the other rib eye on top, more horse radish and mustard and cap with the top of the loaf. Wrap in wax paper and tie closed with string. Double wrap with aluminum foil and place on cutting board. Place another cutting board on top and add as much weight as you can find. Place in a cool place overnight.

Served with a side of pepperoncini's and dilly beans.

This came to my from a friend who saw it on a British blog I believe.

Enjoy

Dave
Last edited by Dave Zac on Sat Mar 10, 2012 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 15:18

...overshoot and eat the wrapping paper too? (Hold the foil and string, please. I'm on a diet.) Man, that looks delicious.

...any idea what a dilly bean is?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 06, 2012 15:19

Dagwood Bumstead would approve. How many did it serve?
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Feb 06, 2012 17:57

Although I'm a big advocate of the 'muffaleta' as being the 'world's best'-that sandwich does look GOOD! :grin:

- Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 18:11

A Dilly Bean is a green or yellow bean done up like dill pickles. We make em and they are delicious.

This particular sandwiched served 4 and we only ate half of it. That is of course after we had all the other junk all day. This was last up on the menu.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 18:58

Dilly beans... kinda like three-bean salad? (Green beans, wax beans, red beans, plus garbanzos, onion, garlic and pickling spice and a bit of sugar & salt in vinegar.) (Plus other beans. We've had as many as... uh...)

Never thought of adding dill to three bean salad. I bet it's good.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Tue Feb 07, 2012 00:48

Mmm....I could adapt that to pork shoulder steaks.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.