[USA] Pineapple Dreams

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Pineapple Dreams

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Aug 12, 2012 05:32

i'm a big dehydrator and do a lot of tomatoes, apples, pineapples, and plums when I get great deals. Pineapple sausage was a major force in my wanting a new smoker, before this I was always happy to just smoke the salmon I caught, sometimes a few pheasants. Now I want way more, and I will have it, but the pineapple sausage dream still lives on. My debacle with the 20 lb Digital Smokehouse from the Sausage Maker Inc. is behind me now and I'm patiently awaiting my new smoker from Cabelas. What could I do to improve this recipe, it's kind of a combo of things I picked up here and there, and I keep thinking and feeling there's a place for pineapple in smoked sausage. I'll get whole pineapple for 88≠ each at certain times of the year, let them ripen for a week on my counter until they are perfect, and then dehydrate them. Maybe this mixture is too soupy or goouy?

Hawaiian Style Pineapple Sausage

15-lbs ground pork
3-cups dried pineapple (rehydrated)
1-cup pineapple juice
6-tbsp salt
1-cup brown cane sugar
9 -tbsp paprika
4-tbsp Piri piri hot sauce
2-tbsp allspice
3-tbsp garlic, granulated
1&1/2-tbsp anise, ground
3/4-cup soy sauce
1-tbsp Instacure #1

Combine all ingredients; mix well & stuff into 32-35mm hog casings, tied off in pairs, 8" long
Air-dry casings with small fan, 1 hour, dry-to-touch
Place in 160°F pre-heated smoker; apply light smoke and hold until internal temperature reaches 152°. Remove sausage and hose-cool down to 120°, then cool at room temp for one hour. Refrigerate, vac-seal, freeze.

I'm thinking next time I won't tie them off in pairs but just link them up and put them on the rods as they come out the funnel. My inital effort with the new smoker will be something far more traditional and fool-proof than this recipe, but pineapple haunts me. I truly do love this site, there's so much knowlege here. RAY
Last edited by sawhorseray on Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 12, 2012 13:03

The added liquid is usually 10 per cent as 100 ml per kg meat. I think that I would start out with the pinapple still dry in the mince and then add liquid in increments. A light touch of cloves might be good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
broken857

Post by broken857 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 06:07

Those work and that is a good price. Remove and cure the hock. You can make a reasonable bacon from the skin side and still have plenty of good meat for sausage. . Currently I can get butts for 1.29 per pound and I consider that a better portion for sausage and rolled hams.
Last edited by broken857 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
williamjhone
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 19, 2012 14:21

broken857 wrote:Those work and that is a good price. Remove and cure the hock. You can make a reasonable bacon from the skin side and still have plenty of good meat for sausage. . Currently I can get butts for 1.29 per pound and I consider that a better portion for sausage and rolled hams.
Is there an echo here. I posted that exact statement on cuts of meat to use and cost thread.
I am flattered but would like attribution.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 17:37

:shock:
Godspeed!

Bob