[HUN] Bean Soup

Mysticl

[HUN] Bean Soup

Post by Mysticl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 18:29

My German grandmother was born and raised in a small town in Hungary where most of the town folk were also German. This soup comes from her and we always called it Bean Soup ... in truth I am not sure of it's origins whether German or Hungarian, but it's a recipe the like of which I have never come across in any cookbook or online recipe list. I have seen similar ham and bean soups but nothing exactly like this using a paprika roue to flavour the final product. It is absolutely delicious, thick and hearty and a complete meal by itself. The recipe makes a very large pot but it never lasts. It is best eaten right after you make it but it reheats passably well and can be frozen although personally I think it suffers from the process, however it is so good initially, that it can handle a little degradation and still be quite good or at least good enough ;) This is a somewhat (completely?) uncommon personal family recipe that I thought I'd share.

Bean Soup - source Barbara Knipf
Serves 8 or more as a main course -

Ingredients

1 smoked, old fashioned ham half or cottage roll (approx 800g)
1 cup White Navy Beans
1/2c red lentils (optional - you can use other colored lentils if you like, I use a mixture)
1 lg jumbo cooking Onion or 2 medium, quartered
water
4 cups Chicken Broth (I use a 1L mason jar of home made chicken stock but a bought 1L carton will do)
4 cups Ham stock (TOTALLY optional I only use it rarely IF I have some home made on hand which isn't that often but it does make this extra delicious otherwise just use water or more chicken stock)
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
small Bag Baby Carrots (or 6-7 large raw carrots, sliced)
2 Tbsp Bacon fat or alternative (butter, lard etc)
2 tbsp all purpose flour, heaping
2 tbsp paprika, heaping
Chicken flavoured Bovril or Better than Chicken Bouillon (optional to taste)
1 Package Broad or extra Broad EGG noodles (you need a hearty noodle to stand up to this soup store bought Catelli/Unico are fine but make sure they are egg noodles and use the whole bag.)

Directions:

Starting the night before or early in the morning soak the beans and lentils in a large dutch oven style soup pot, covered on the counter, using enough water to just cover the beans and then a bit more to allow for expansion. If you omit the red lentils add a few more navy beans to make up the difference. Note: I have done this soup without this step and it works just fine because of the long cooking time but if time permits I do this to help the soften the beans as well as to allow them to de-gas ... and because .. that's how my grandmother did it ;)

After soaking do not drain the beans just add the ham, rough chopped onions, chicken broth (and an extra Mason Jar of Ham stock if I have it) and garlic to the beans in their soaking water and top it up with enough additional water (and/or stock) to fill the dutch oven/soup pot and simmer UNCOVERED to let gases escape for about 6 hrs, stirring occasionally, and adding water as needed to keep the meat covered. Liquid level is usually kept about 1 1/2 inches below the rim of the large dutch oven, enough to keep the ham covered, it's not an exact science ;) The time is somewhat approximate, I generally start mid or late morning and let this simmer all afternoon. Just keeping a light eye on it to top up as needed with water.

About 1 1/2 hrs before serving remove meat from soup and reserve.

After removing the meat puree the soup using an immersion blender to emulsify the beans, onions and garlic making a smooth pure soup base. My grandmother did not have an immersion blender so she would sometimes strain the beans out of the soup and mash them with a fork before returning them (or most of them) to the soup, it gave more "texture" to the soup, more of a rustic feel but I really like the immersion blender method and it's easier,less messy, and imo makes a better soup.

After blending, continue to simmer the soup while you make your Roue.

In a separate small sauce pot make a roue by melting fat (bacon fat is best but butter will work or even lard) in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted and hot, add the flour and paprika stirring constantly to make a very thick paste and cook about a minute or so to get get rid of the *raw* taste. Remove the pan from heat and SLOWLY (it will bind at first) add water (about a cup or more) a little at a time stirring constantly until you have added enough water to make a pourable sauce.

Pour the roue sauce into soup, stir, and add your carrots to the soup.

Meanwhile take the reserved meat, place face down on a cutting board and trim off the outer rind by slicing down from the top all the way around the ham. Discard rind and dice remaining meat into small 1/2" pieces then return meat to soup. Continue to simmer til carrots are done adding water as needed to keep the soup topped up to within 1 1/2" from the top of the soup pot/dutch oven. Make sure to leave room for adding the noodles at the very end.

Taste the soup at this point and season with a little bouillon if you like. I usually end up adding 1-2 Tbsp of Better than Bouillon, Chicken flavour but Chicken bovril is nice too ...

Meanwhile prepare broad or extra broad egg noodles in salted water as per package instructions. When cooked, strain and add to thickened soup. Viola ... soup's on!

Enjoy.
Last edited by Mysticl on Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon Sep 17, 2012 18:32

Sounds very good, Mysticl!
Godspeed!

Bob
Mysticl

Thanks Bob :)

Post by Mysticl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 19:05

I also wanted to include some basic nutritional data as calculated by the Livestrong nutritional calculator as input by me using the exact ingredients and amounts I personally use for this soup.

Based on 16 servings of 1 cup each the nutritional values for the soup are approximately as follows -

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 bowl (1 cup)

Amount per Serving
Calories 236
Calories from Fat 72.6
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 8.07g - 12%
Saturated Fat 1.49g - 7%
Cholesterol 40.96mg - 13%
Sodium 262.99mg - 10%
Total Carbohydrate 33.41g - 11%
Dietary Fiber 6.14g - 24%
Sugars 3.16g
Protein 8.01g - 16%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 21%
Carbs 56%
Protein 13%

Of course that is based on my soup ... with my ingredients (including noodles) if you alter or use different ingredients that will affect the final nutritional values but as you can see this is pretty darn fiber rich and if eaten as a main course (usually about 2 bowls) you can get a whopping 12 grams of fiber - about HALF the daily recommended
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 21:55

Hey, hey, Mysticl...
That is a dynamite recipe! Wow that looks tasty. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting it. Your grandmother must have been a mighty sweet woman and a great cook too! Thanks for sharing. I'll post it in the MRI (member's recipe index) on Sunday.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Sep 19, 2012 16:47

Hmmmm...bean soup. One of my other favorite. I started to cook that, when I was 9 years old. :wink:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 17:22

Gulyás wrote:Hmmmm...bean soup. One of my other favorite. I started to cook that, when I was 9 years old. :wink:
Sounds good Gulyás!!!
Is it done yet? LOL :wink:

:mrgreen:
Godspeed!

Bob
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Sep 19, 2012 18:13

After removing the meat puree the soup using an immersion blender to emulsify the beans, onions and garlic making a smooth pure soup base. My grandmother did not have an immersion blender so she would sometimes strain the beans out of the soup and mash them with a fork before returning them (or most of them) to the soup, it gave more "texture" to the soup, more of a rustic feel but I really like the immersion blender method and it's easier,less messy, and imo makes a better soup.

If you put all the ingredients in a crock pot, cover with chicken stock, turn on low for 24 hrs., the split peas, beans, etc. dissolve. Nothing burns in a crock pot. Take out, add more stock to your desired thickness and re season. No watching, or burning on the bottom. It's up to you what veggies you add and size of the crock pot. At the very least, the crock pot cuts down on cooking time, without being attended to.
Mysticl

Post by Mysticl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 20:46

nuynai wrote:If you put all the ingredients in a crock pot, cover with chicken stock, turn on low for 24 hrs., the split peas, beans, etc. dissolve. Nothing burns in a crock pot. Take out, add more stock to your desired thickness and re season. No watching, or burning on the bottom. It's up to you what veggies you add and size of the crock pot. At the very least, the crock pot cuts down on cooking time, without being attended to.
This is true Nuynai :) Up until recently I did not have a crockpot ... and not sure my current one is big enough but it might be. For the most part with the pre soaking and long slow cook time most of the bean do indeed dissolve or at least become mush, the lentils virtually disappear even before pureeing but the onions not so much ... I also like the pureed texture of this soup when blended and my husband positively despises anything that even remotely reminds him of split pea soup. When I first made this I had a hard time getting him to try it, after that he curled up his nose every time I made it, until he tucked in, that is ... now he loves it and requests it although I still can't get him within a mile of any split pea soup ;)

Thanks for the suggestion though, a crockpot might be just the thing for someone with less picky diners and for anyone who likes a more rustic presentation .. like myself ... when hubby isn't around ;)

One note though, I have never had any issues with burning the bottom of this soup, so no worries on that account, too much liquid, even after thickening with the roue .. although I do manage to burn the bottom of just about every other sauce I make on my stove (I need a new range! Horrible horrible low setting on all elements!) ... spaghetti in particular ... the crockpot has saved me there for sure!
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:15

Just had this soup for supper. Very nice recipe Mysticl. I love the addition of paprika...it's not your normal bean soup. I added a ham bone to cook with and made egg noodles instead of a bag of store bought. I have a recipe book from my mom that was my grandma's favorite Hungarian recipes. there are few with beans but not this one. It's a keeper indeed.

Dave