New Years Day Pork and Sauerkraut

Smokin Don
User
User

New Years Day Pork and Sauerkraut

Post by Smokin Don » Wed Jan 02, 2013 19:39

Jan 01 2013

New Years 2013 and I will eat my good luck dinner of pork and kraut. I first started this tradition one New Year`s Day over 20 years ago, I don`t remember exactly when. I ran into a friend at the grocery and he had a can of sauerkraut and some pork. I ask is that all you`re buying and he said "Yes, I got to have my good luck pork and kraut on New Year`s Day". Sounded good to me so I got some kraut and a pork roast for our supper and a meal I don`t think I have missed fixing since.

I think it is a German tradition; the pig is a forward looking animal so that symbolizes looking forward for the New Year. The sauerkraut is supposed to clean the body and soul for a new start in the New Year. New Year`s Day is usually cold here in Ohio so it makes for a great warming meal. I have used all cuts of pork to make this, roasts, chops, ribs, brats and brockwurst. My favorite is a couple of country style ribs, three brats and three brockwurst. These with a pound of sauerkraut and my wife`s knopfles, (German drop noodles), fills my 5 quart cast iron Dutch oven or Crockpot. Since I have had my smoker I smoke the meat first.

Black eyed peas are a southern tradition with different stories as how it originated. Most stories are from the Civil War period. I now have these too in honor of my southern belle cousin`s Father. She said one New Year`s Day they were on the road and her Father stopped at 3 different restaurants before he would eat. He finally found one that had black eyed peas. I figure a second good luck food doesn`t hurt; I need all the luck I can get! I think they do compliment the pork and kraut.

I got the ribs, brats, brockwurst, and 3 slices of bacon I would use in the black eyed peas, on my smoker at 9:30 am. I did them on smoke mode 170 deg. for an hour and a half. I then went to 275 deg. for about 20 minutes. Last year I did them in my cast iron Dutch oven in my smoker but this year I decided to finish it inside in my Crockpot.

At 11:30 I lined the bottom of the Crockpot with some sliced onions and threw in 3 garlic cloves, minced.
I laid the two country ribs on top of the onions then 3 of the brats and 3 of the brockwurst. I covered all with the pound of sauerkraut and some salt and pepper. I poured in a half of can of light beer. I turned it to high for an hour then down to low to simmer all afternoon. My kraut was some Gundlesheim barrel sauerkraut, original German recipe. I poured off some of the juice but did not rinse.

After lunch I did a batch of mashed potatoes, about 3 pounds, added a stick of butter and 3 tablespoons of sour cream. I put them in a Crockpot to keep warm. My wife made a batch of the drop noodles for me; she does them better than I can. She doesn`t have a recipe; two eggs and some flour. If they get too thick she adds some water to thin. She does them in a large pot of rapid boiling water; cutting them in with a knife.

About 4:00 I took the country ribs out and removed the fat, shredded and back in the Crockpot along with the noodles. I added some water and back on high for about 45 minutes then back to low. I saved out some of the noodles for my veggie daughter in law.

Before I was ready to eat I sautéed some onions, green peppers, a few chopped hot peppers and the bacon; then added the can of black eyed peas, partially drained, and heated.

My wife, daughter, and I ate a little after 5:00. I had some seeded rye bread and some Kerrygold Irish butter to serve with all. That sure was tasty and will have leftovers to eat and send some to my Mother.

Our daughter in law stopped in later and had some mashed potatoes, noodles, kraut and did eat a piece of sausage! The smell and temptation must have got to her!

This should taste better with some of you members homemade sausage!

Ingredients

Ingredients for the black eyed peas

All done on the smoker

Meat on top of the onions in the Crockpot

Sauerkraut and seasoniong added

My wife making the drop noodles

Noodles drained

Pork and kraut before adding the noodles

My Plate

Smokin Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 03:28

That looks delicious, Don!
Godspeed!

Bob
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 03, 2013 04:31

Don you have presented us with an appetizing recipe and one that I will certainly try. But, my friend, you lose points for using canned beans, supermarket sauerkraut and store bought sausages. Based on your previous posts and your blog, you have a passion and talent for cooking, so why not broaden you horizon and go beyond the assembly line? Soak your own beans, make your own sauerkraut and stuff your own sausages!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 08:05

Don, ol' pard,
I afraid Redzed is absolutely right. And ya' jest caint arg-ya with someone who's right! :mrgreen: With talents like yours, why not make these dishes from scratch ingredients?
All this time, I thought canned sauerkraut was made to throw at politicians!
Don, once you make your own kielbasa, you'll never even consider buying it in a supermarket again... ever! And most of what they call kielbasa in the grocery store, doesn't even resemble the real thing... in appearance OR taste.
I'm going to make you a challenge. This year is only one day old. Why not make a resolution to make your own perfect smoked kielbasa and kraut by the end of 2013? Look in the MRI and you'll find a couple of "killer" bean recipes too. However, I'll just bet that an ol' shark like you has a couple of great bean recipes tucked up your sleeve.
Now don't feel offended. Feef challenged! Your recipe above, looks fine... IF... a person eats processed foods. Shucks pard, if I had to eat canned veggies, I'd toss the "innards" and eat the can!
Don, by the end of 2013 you could be making professional sausage in every respect. I know you like your local butcher's sausage but... chances are he's adding "more economical" ingredients to make bulk sausage to sell at a higher profit. At home, a few cents saved by pinching on the ingredients, just isn't going to make it! In a small batch of ten pounds, skimping just isn't going to make great sausage. It might make good sausage, but not great sausage. And home hobbyists seem to select better cuts of meat for their sausage too! Great pork butt is a much better choice than random odds and ends.
So, my challenge is this: If you get a copy of Stan's book and read it by the end of April, then start making delicious sausage, you will have time to perfect it by August. Then, by November, you'll be able to make incredible semi-dry cured sausage. If you post a photo of your best kielbasa in December, I'll send you twenty bucks! If you fail and give up and go back to store-bought sausages rather than eating your own, then you send me twenty bucks! How about it? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Thu Jan 03, 2013 08:25

Sorry I guess I will stick to posting homemade foods. My butcher is 3rd generation German family owned and uses only minimum ingredients as you would in homemade sausage. It is not typical grocery store sausage. He is only a two minute drive away so very convenient. Besides his fresh stuffed sausage, he does, Italian sausage, sage sausage and 12 different brats. His bacon is the best! The black eyed peas I was the only one to eat them so was not going to do a large batch. I use dried beans for large batches. At least give my wife some points for the great home made noodles! Smokin Don
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:49

Shucks Don, if I tied into a batch of those beautiful home made noodles, my body would think I'd died and gone to heaven! Please let your wife know that we think she must be a terrific spouse and a good cook too! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:55

Whoa...tough crowd! :shock:

Looks good, Don-and yes, points given for home-made noodles ("Spätzle"?)
Although I do concur that nothin' beats the homemade varieties of the foods used here, (love my HM sauerkraut!!), I can also appreciate the cobbling together of a variety of ingredients for convenience sake.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 03, 2013 17:10

Don, Yesterday the Safeway store was selling about six cases of jimmy Dean sausage for a buck and a quarter a pound. It is pretty good sausage and the price was right so I bought a small supply. I am not a purist and good food is good food no matter where you find it. I even bought an oven ready Purdue oven stuffer a while back because it was 69 cents a pound. Don't let these guys beat you up some of them can't boil an egg. lol
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 20:48

Chef Don,
Those photo's of your finished plate looks great to me.
I would have stuffed it all past my tonsils like a starving Abyssinian, the only change I would have made was the amount of butter of my bread.
Keep up the good work.
Jan.
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:35

Chuckwagon wrote:Shucks Don, if I tied into a batch of those beautiful home made noodles, my body would think I'd died and gone to heaven! Please let your wife know that we think she must be a terrific spouse and a good cook too! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
CW my wife loved the compliment!! Since I do most all our cooking, two things she does better than me, the noodles and crispy fried potatoes! Don
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:33

Well ask her if she wants to run away with me and learn how to make sausage, since you won't learn how! :wink:
Hmmmm.... tell her there's ice cream on Sundays and she can ride my pony! Oh, and I almost forgot... I've got the best lookin' mustache in the Rocky Mountains, even if I have to mention it myself :shock: . Yup, it's a "babe magnet" alright.
Want to reconsider makin' sausages pal?

P.S. Yes, yes! *ahem.. ahem... with my mustache, they say I look a lot like... ahem... Charles Bronson! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Jan 05, 2013 22:33

Chuckwagon wrote:Well ask her if she wants to run away with me and learn how to make sausage, since you won't learn how! :wink:
Hmmmm.... tell her there's ice cream on Sundays and she can ride my pony! Oh, and I almost forgot... I've got the best lookin' mustache in the Rocky Mountains, even if I have to mention it myself :shock: . Yup, it's a "babe magnet" alright.
Want to reconsider makin' sausages pal?

P.S. Yes, yes! *ahem.. ahem... with my mustache, they say I look a lot like... ahem... Charles Bronson! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
CW who says I won't learn how to make sausage! I allready have, look unnder sausages on my cooking blog. I have all the equipment and made some garlic sausage and I also made some Goetta, this past summer. As far as my wife running off, she has not left by now she never will!! :mrgreen: Don
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02

Oh, all right Don! I didn't realize you'd begun making sausages. I stand corrected. However... I think you ought to grow one of those "babe magnets" on your upper lip and make sure you hang onto your wife! :roll:

My best wishes to you sir!
Smokey Wagontrack
Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom J » Sun Jan 06, 2013 15:40

Speaking of home made sauerkraut.

This brought to mind my first attempt at making sauerkraut many, many years ago. Reading from one of the popular canning books I remember it said "LAYER of cabbage and A LAYER of salt".

Well I did not have that much salt to put A LAYER on (like how much is A LAYER anyhow?) , keep in mind I was doing this in A 10 gal crock so quickly turning all the pages of all my canning books looking for what heck is A LAYER and nothing to be found I just made A guess.

Perhaps this was my first BIG, BIG lesion in common sense and as I am sure you have guessed, it would have made the Dead Sea taste like A fresh water trout stream.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 20:28

Tom J,
I know exactly what you mean. I have a lot of old sausagemaking books and they list everything in teaspoons, tablespoons, pinch, handful of this and layers of that , etc etc.
I can put my hands on 3 different size teaspoons and tablespoons and most of my friends have hands the size of gravel scoops.
And then everybody says, weigh your ingredients accurately, get scales with 0.01 gram!!!!!!!!!!
Buy or import one of these and the Government thinks you are distributing nose candy or other associated crap.
The Marianski books, LUCKILY, now list everything in Metric, what a relieve, so much easier than ounces?? The USA or Pommie ounces? and there is a difference of about 1 litre between Gallons, miles per gallon, kilometers per litre etc. It all depends where you live.
I am not Einstein?
Cheers,
Jan.