Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 22, 2017 13:22

A ready to eat ham has been cooked which breaks down the protein so there is nothing to left to form a bind.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 22, 2017 17:15

CmdrDick wrote:I was thinking about taking a "Ready to Eat" whole Ham and chopping it up and making sausage.
The short answer is that this is not the way to make sausage. While there are myriads of methods to create sausage, using cooked and processed meats is not one of them. Ham is already a seasoned, smoked and cooked product, what is the purpose of grinding it and stuffing into a casing? And doing so will not extend the shelf life of of such a creation, if anything it will probaly shorten it. And as Bob pointed out, the proteins in the ham have been denatured, the meat will not bind and what you will have is a bunch of crumbs in a casing. That is not sausage.
CmdrDick wrote:"Properly" is the part that is not clear.
I suggest you take a bit of time and read about the basics of sausage making that is available on our site. Start with the section on meat selection. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... -selection
ScottC

Post by ScottC » Sat Dec 30, 2017 21:47

Hi, My name is Scott, I live in California's central coast region and have been making fresh sausage with friends for about 5 years. I'm interested in learning now to make cured sausages, and found this forum when searching for landoaeger recipes. I look forward to sharing in the community!

Scott
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

New Guy, North Eastern US

Post by Kijek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 16:15

Hello Everyone,
I'm from the North east corner of the US, aka, New England States.
Been watchin this site for years and have learned and used a lot of information from you all.
I've progressed a long way with my charcuterie, smoking meats, and BBQin, and would like to join in with you all learning more, and sharing what I've learned from experiences.
Thanks hope to chat wit you.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jan 05, 2018 16:28

Glad to have you and welcome.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jan 05, 2018 20:27

Welcome aboard Kijek! Glad you weathered yestrday's storm and are focussing on sausages!
Hope to see some of your creations soon! :grin:
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 22:42

Thanks Butters & Red

Oh I'm always thinking about making sausages. I got to work on sizing pics???
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 17:57

I see the photobucket icon, that's where I get my pics from, but the funny thing is I can't seem to find where to resize the pics, but like I said I'm working on it.
Any suggestions?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jan 06, 2018 18:36

Kijek wrote:I see the photobucket icon, that's where I get my pics from, but the funny thing is I can't seem to find where to resize the pics, but like I said I'm working on it.
Any suggestions?
Most people on all forums on the net have abandoned Photobucket due to there attempt to force members to subscribe or not display the pics.

While there are various free choices, IMGUR is very easy to use. The optimum size for displaying on forums is automatically adjusted, you can still resize if you wish by editing photos
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:05

Excellent thanks gonna give it a try
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:07

Easy even for us computer challenged folks :oops:

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:31

Seems easy enough, and I'm all signed up, trying to figure out uploading pic from iPhone.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 19:38

I think I got it.
Here a pic of my homemade curing chamber I just finished, but I need a bigger one now.
Knifeman
User
User

West Coast B.C.

Post by Knifeman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 00:48

Hi Everyone

Hope this lands in the right place ! New to this site . I worked in the meat business for over 25 years , boning , slaughtering . I have no experience making sausages though. I have lots of knives and a good quality hand grinder. Thought I would like to start by making some sausages patties that I can freeze for later consumption. So if you could direct me to the right forum and who to ask that would be great ! P.S. I don't think this went into the introduce yourself thread in Hyde Park . Could you help me get it to there ?
Many Thanks !
Knifeman
Last edited by Knifeman on Mon Jan 22, 2018 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Mon Jan 22, 2018 00:54

Welcome aboard knifeman

I`m very new to making sausages but would love to pick your brain on curing. Your experiences will add greatly to this site I`m sure. Again welcome aboard.