Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Winephile

Re: Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Post by Winephile » Thu Feb 28, 2019 01:19

Yea, I was measuring, combining two recipes, and typing in the recipe as I went. I think I used 6 grams, just less than the 1/4 ounce asked for.

Your comment was very welcome, but threw me for a loop because I know that about Prague 1 & 2. The Dextrose called for 3/4 oz and the ingredients were one after the other. I think I glanced at the book and reversed the measurement for those two entries when I typed it up. Writing the recipe was my lowest priority at the time.

That said, I’m profoundly human and make huge blunders sometimes. Does anyone have knowledge of what, if any, taste indicators come with 700+ ppm? Otherwise, I may have to toss it on general principles.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:37

It won't kill you and you probably won't taste the difference. Just don't eat it all in one sitting. Give it at least a month in the chamber, allowing the nitrate to convert to nitrite and eventually nitric oxide. I'm also confused by your product as Pepin's recipe is really not a "saucisson" but a whole cured pork tenderloin.
Winephile

Post by Winephile » Sun Mar 03, 2019 13:18

You are confused because I was confused. I bought the Fermento because it was listed in “the book“ by some guy that made sausages forever. Now I realize that he was just making commercial sausage for the resulting flavor, not for the excellence of the product. Pepin‘s whole cured tenderloin looked appealing. When I realized that the fermenter wasn’t doing anything to the whole tenderloin, I ground and stuffed it.

On a related point, no one seems to sell fat here in Maryland. I suppose I could use rendered pork fat, but I have no idea whether that could work.

I will start using the recipes on this board and, in the meantime, order some starter culture.

Thank you for your assistance.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 21:27

Just for your information - yesterday made registration on our English site two of polish very valued members - Fisiek56 (known on polish site as Arkadiusz) and Miro(miro on polish site). Both of them are known as Masters of meat processing. Especially Fisiek56 aka Arkadiusz is known as Senior Master in most important fields of polish meat processing like kielbasa and others smoked products, offal products, cured and matured products. Miro is Master as well in these fields. I'm sure that soon they will introduce themself. Additionally as today Fisiek56 has Birthday.
Let me Welcome them to our Sausage Maker website.
Fisiek56

Post by Fisiek56 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 22:06

I would like to say hello to you :D . Stefan has already introduced me so I won't add anything on this issue. Probably some of you know me from the Polish side and know that I write directly what I think often very critically so don't take it for me wrong. So already I have style. About my products tooplease express yourself directly without being beaten by the bush. Constructive criticism is welcomep.S
Because my English is low, forgive me, but I will use an online translator ...
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 03, 2019 07:19

Hey Arkadiusz it's great to see you here. Welcome to the fold! We all look forward to your contributions.