Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
H_Nutczak

Post by H_Nutczak » Sun Jan 02, 2011 17:48

Hi All,

So, Whats cooking?
I am at the restaurant getting our Pulled Pork,Beef Brisket, and Spare-ribs cooked for today's crowd, Then I plan on making some bratwurst and Italian sausage this afternoon for our dinner tomorrow when the restaurant is closed.
And I have 2 pork bellies that are going to get cured, One for salt-pork, the other for bacon.

I though Sunday was the day of rest? Not in the restaurant business it isn't!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 00:43

Welcome to the site Pappa G! I come from a long line of horse thieves and renegades and a few of them settled in Nor/Cal. Would you by chance know where Lake Almanore is? Heck, I didn't even know you could get there from here! :roll:
Is anybody out there besides me, smokin' kabanosy this week?
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Double R

Post by Double R » Fri Jan 07, 2011 05:19

High everyone. I am new to this site. Im hoping to learn some things on fermenting and drying sausages. I am a bbqing sausage making nut. Hoping to have some time to do some sausage making and getting ready for what i need for drying and fermenting. Talk to ya later.
i
Last edited by Double R on Mon Jan 10, 2011 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47

Hey Folks! We`ve got two more new kids on the block! Welcome to the forum Double R from the great state of Nebraska and a big hello to Palace hill in Oil City, Pennsylvania (the prettiest green state in the union!)

Hey guys, if a short fortuneteller escapes from prison, is he a small medium at large? And do marathon runners with bad shoes suffer the agony of de feet? :roll:

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Palace hill » Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:37

Greetings Chuckwagon!
Thank you for the nice greeting. Sounds like you've been in my neighborhood.
Actually we live in the suburbs of Oil City (12 miles out). Palace hill was where I was raised. A nicer Polish community you would be hard pressed to find.
I've been lurking here for a while now, trying to learn a thing or two. As a child and youth, one of my fondest of memories was enjoying kielbasa for Christmas and Easter from Mr. Kulinski's corner store. God, was that good. He knew what making kielbasa was all about. I was his best customer, I think. That now only exists in my memory. As the aging process takes over my life, one of the traditions I want to pass on to my sons (3) is the great memories of my love for the real deal. We only have access to store bought stuff now (yuck) and I want to change that. I think In this website,I found the right place.
As a guest, I've tried your recipe for hot smoked kielbasa in the recipe section. Pretty good, but not exactly what I remember. but pretty good(lots of compliments) My experience with making and smoking kielbase now stands at one batch (11 lbs.) As you can see, I've got a long way to go, but I'm a willing learner.
My eldest son and I made the first batch together. The grin on his face told me that he is hooked now too.
As we move on in this process, we'll have many more questions, I'm sure.
Thanks again for allowing us an opertunity to learn. We're watching.

Yours truly.

Palace Hill
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Jan 08, 2011 14:37

Welcome fellas. Keep at it. As you continue to learn and improve your product, each new batch of sausage, each new ham, each new trial brings excitement and smiles to your belly and lips :lol:

Dave
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 01:23

Hello new members "Old goat" from Virginia (the ham makin`est place in the U.S.) and "toolmann" from aurora. Uhh... just one question toolmann. Is that Aurora, Illinois, Aurora, Colorado, or Aurora in Scotland?

Trosky accidentally swallowed a dollar bill. Don`t ask me how it happened. All I know is when I called the hospital to see how he was, the nurse said, "No change yet!" :roll:

Welcome aboard new guys!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 02:38

Hey Palace Hill,
You sounded just a bit dissapointed in one of the kielbasa recipes posted on this site. How about trying an original Polish recipe by Siara of Belgia/Plock. He's a moderator on this site and very much experienced. I'm no expert but I can certainly recommend this recipe. I've found that many folks "fudge" a little on the instructions then blame the recipe for inconsistencies. Please take the time to prepare the ingredients correctly. If the directions are followed to the letter, then the kielbasa will cause your tongue to slap the daylights out of your tonsils.

White Sausage ( Kiełbasa biała )
Classical Polish sausage. Mostly chosen by Polish forum members for grill or BBQ.
Recipe: based on 1959 Original .
For total of 10 kg of raw product.
Meat Ingredients:
1. Pork class I not cured 2 kg
2. Pork class II not cured 7 kg
3. Beef class I or II. not cured 1kg
Ingredients used during production:
1. Salt 180 to 220 g ( depending on your taste )
2. Pepper 10 g ( herbal pepper 20 g )
3. Garlic 7 g ( fresh garlic )
4. Marjoram 10 g (dry marjoram )
Additional materials:
1. Hog casings 32-36mm diameter.
2. Butchers twine ( cotton )
Finished product:
Sausage not linked in continuous rope
Preparation:
1. All meat should be cut in pieces of 5-6 cm or machine diced.
2. Grinding:
- Pork class I - 13mm plate
- Pork class II - 10mm plate
- Beef class I or II - 2mm plate. (Tip. do not use 2mm immediately, use 10mm first then 2mm plate)
3. Emulsifying:
- Beef class I or II grind 2 times on 2 mm plate adding 45% of icy water or ice. Add spices and salt during process.
4 Mixing:
- Mix pork class I with class II. Add 6% ( of total weight of class I and II together ) ice water during mixing. Next add emulsified beef and mix all together until mixture will become sticky.
Stuffing:
- Use hog casing 32 - 36 mm. Tie up end of hog casing by making knot. You can also use butchers twine. Remove visible air pockets with a needle. Divide continuous rope by twisting to 10-15 cm pieces. Leave the sausage in continuous rope.
Drying:
- dry for 15 to 30 minutes
Tip: staff 10 -15 cm of sausage. Heat few liters of water to 73 °C and keep the sausage in the water until it'll reach 68 °C to 70 °C inside. Try, and adjust salt or other spices to your taste.

Recipe by Siara (Poland)
Passed along with best wishes, Chuckwagon
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56

:lol: :lol: :lol:Thanks for your concern CW. That's been happening to me allot lately. :oops:

By the way here's your change. :wink:

Take care Trosky
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Wed Jan 12, 2011 19:47

Chuckwagon wrote:Hello new members "Old goat" from Virginia (the ham makin`est place in the U.S.) and "toolmann" from aurora. Uhh... just one question toolmann. Is that Aurora, Illinois, Aurora, Colorado, or Aurora in Scotland?

Trosky accidentally swallowed a dollar bill. Don`t ask me how it happened. All I know is when I called the hospital to see how he was, the nurse said, "No change yet!" :roll:

Welcome aboard new guys!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
no thats AURORA ONTARIO , CANADA, but i live and work for now in columbus nebraska :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 02:47

Hi Guys,

Toolmann, Thanks for the clarification. Ontario is incredible. What a change you've made going to warmer and flatter terrain eh? Have you adjusted?

Hey sausage makers...
We've got another member. A hearty welcome to CrankyBuzzard in Texas. Hey Cranky, do you eat babyback pork ribs or genuine "'Texas Dinosaur Bones" from those longhorn beef critters?

Trosky ol' bud, did you take a close look at that nickel? Did you make it in your basement or something? Sure looks like a "ringer" to me. :???:
Hey Trosky, Are Santa's helpers called subordinate clauses?

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:47

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Guys,

Toolmann, Thanks for the clarification. Ontario is incredible. What a change you've made going to warmer and flatter terrain eh? Have you adjusted?

Hey sausage makers...
We've got another member. A hearty welcome to CrankyBuzzard in Texas. Hey Cranky, do you eat babyback pork ribs or genuine "'Texas Dinosaur Bones" from those longhorn beef critters?

Trosky ol' bud, did you take a close look at that nickel? Did you make it in your basement or something? Sure looks like a "ringer" to me. :???:
Hey Trosky, Are Santa's helpers called subordinate clauses?

Best wishes, Chuckwagon

Thanks for the welcome CW!

Babybacks are nice, FULL pork spares are my favorite to cook, but the beef dinos are what me and my boys COVET in the world of BBQ! The longhorns that dad grows and sells are a bit too lean for my taste! I prefer his goats mostly... For the beef ribs we tend to rely on the butcher ( bro-in-law) to supply us with some angus or other critter that actually has some meat on the bones! :mrgreen:

Now, a bit about pork spares here at Cranky Buzzard... Never trimmed other than some extraneous fat! The ribs come from the package, get rinsed off, get a slather, rubbed with some goodness, and then hit the pit! Unless the customer wants trimmed ribs, they go on whole! I'll also add that our ribs, and other smoked meats, NEVER have BBQ sauce applied to them! All meats are served as they come off of the pit; bark and moisture only! If a guest wants sauce, it's on the table in a bowl. Not all of us in Texas drown our meat with sauce. :wink:

Looking forward to LEARNING a lot from the folks here and sharing the LITTLE I know about sausage... I also have a couple of ideas that I will be making this weekend and will post pics when done.

This looks to be a wonderful place to hang out when it comes to making sausage! I hope I can be a good contributor, I tend to do things that most others won't... :shock:

Charlie
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Thu Jan 13, 2011 07:35

Welkome Charlie and all new joined members, we look forward for your contribution, and hope you can also benifit from genereal knowledge on this board.
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Jan 13, 2011 18:31

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Guys,

oh yes I did , thanks for asking !!! and what warm weather ??? had -25C the last few nights , today it warmed up to -9C
and yes its quite a difference from Ontario to here , not a bad one at all
Last edited by toolmann on Thu Jan 13, 2011 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 01:25

Welcome aboard AlMichalak from Yardley, Pa. Great to have you here. We've got quite a few members from Pennsylvania now. You guys will have to get together for a sausage roast sometime. Shucks, invite the rest of us dudes and we'll bring something to paint your tonsils with! You know... wild mare's milk... rookus scamper juice... Kansas City sheep dip... Texas tornado varnish! :shock:
Are you a beginner or an ol' pro? The weather report says you folks are gettin' clobbered with snow today. Any truth to that? It might be the best time to stay indoors and make a few batches of kabanosy eh? :wink:

I've got a buddy in Ohio named George. (Trosky) He has one of those photographic memories! But in his case, it never developed. :lol:

Again, Weclome aboard.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon