Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Nov 03, 2010 01:14

Hey Topcat, welcome. I have 2 kids in Arizona and a grand baby. We love our visits. Actually, it will be in the 20's tonight. The wife and I are talking about a move for her health. To Arizona?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 00:38

A great big WELCOME to our latest members:

InGrandad Indiana, USA joined: 11/7/10
Jicar USA joined: 11/8/10
Webofconfusion Knoxville, Tenn joined: 11/9/10
Randell Sonoma, Cal joined: 11/9/10
Rjole USA joined: 11/14/10

It's nice to see you folks here. Looking forward to exchanging ideas with y'all! Don't be shy! Say hello! We're all friends on this board. If you need help with something, just ask... someone will come to the rescue. There are beginners and experts on this board... but ALL are just plain good folks!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon Nov 15, 2010 02:38

Hi Everyone,

I was referred to this forum and having looked it over, can say that I'm happy to become a member. I've dabbled in sausagemaking, smoking etc for many years but was unable to really devote enough time to it until retirement, a couple of years ago.
Having produced about 80 lbs in the last month I'm satisfied with every ounce and would be happy to share recipes or offer advice.
Also looking forward to getting the same from more experienced members.

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44

Welcome Steelchef, sounds like your already addicted making 80lbs of sausage in a month. A lot of good people here just ask if you have a question someone will help.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:17

steelchef wrote:Hi Everyone,

I was referred to this forum and having looked it over, can say that I'm happy to become a member. I've dabbled in sausagemaking, smoking etc for many years but was unable to really devote enough time to it until retirement, a couple of years ago.
Having produced about 80 lbs in the last month I'm satisfied with every ounce and would be happy to share recipes or offer advice.
Also looking forward to getting the same from more experienced members.

Colin
Welcome Steelchef. I can always use advice :lol: . Got anything good up your sleeve for turkey sausage? Will be slaughtering next weekend and plan on making some the following week.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:42

Hi Dave,
I refer you to Len Poli's website, Sonoma Mountain Sausage. I was leary at first, of the chemicals he suggests but have purchased Amesphos and that is the sh*t! It is the one ingredient I have found that changes ground meat into an emulsion. Excellent for texture and enhanced taste in fine sausage. My earlier attempts at sausage resulted in ground, seasoned meat, stuffed into casings. OK for country or breakfast links but pepperoni and other traditionally finely textured tubes needed something else. I have yet to have a failure using these formulations.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index.htm

Personally, i do not have a specific turkey sausage recipe that could be recommended. Just haven't made a lot. Usually use a chicken recipe and substitute old Tom. I am going to attempt Len's, 'Smoked Turkey Breast' as soon as we thaw out in the spring.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:55

Trosky

Thanks for your welcome! Yeah. I retired two years ago. The first year was bliss. The second started out OK but I began to get antsy. I was casting about for something more meaningful than XBox and fishing. My wife suggested that I refine some of my old hobbies and that's how all this happened. I'm now working on baking, (particularly bread) and other culinary pursuits.

Cheers, Colin
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 13:13

Hey Trosky,
Did you know that Steelchef and I went to different schools together? :roll:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 13:17

Hey Dave,

Colin wrote:
I am going to attempt Len's, 'Smoked Turkey Breast' as soon as we thaw out in the spring.
Don't let him kid you! He lives in Ft. St. John B.C. They don't thaw out until mid-summer.
That's 30 below country!

By the way, how did your sausage turn out?

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Nov 16, 2010 16:44

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey Dave,

Colin wrote:
I am going to attempt Len's, 'Smoked Turkey Breast' as soon as we thaw out in the spring.
Don't let him kid you! He lives in Ft. St. John B.C. They don't thaw out until mid-summer.
That's 30 below country!

By the way, how did your sausage turn out?

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Not til the weekend after Thanksgiving. Been working my tail off lately and not too happy about it! :grin: I'll post pics when in progress.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Nov 16, 2010 18:37

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey Trosky,
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Yeah, and at the same time too! :lol:
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 19:41

steelchef wrote:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
I don't remember seeing ether one of you there :wink:Image
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Nov 16, 2010 20:05

Trosky wrote:
steelchef wrote:
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
I don't remember seeing ether one of you there :wink:Image
So, Tros' are you and Chuck related? I think I detect a family resemblance. :mrgreen: :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 01:00

Hmmm... could possibly be related... as we're both so danged intelligent! Tros and I are BOTH getting tired and weary of being right ALL the time! :shock: Alas, it's not me in the photo... I'm Soooo much better lookin' (sort of resemble George Clooney) AND... I always wear a tie for a photo!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

More new members!

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 01:10

Hi new members and welcome aboard! We've been waiting for you to get here! :shock:
There are some nice folks on this site... and some of them are pretty crafty. We look forward to conversing with you.
Steelchef is from Ft. St. Johns B.C. (That's B.C. in time!... not a location. :mrgreen: )
Yesterday, Gerrit and Kjuncatman joined us.
Gerrit is from Ontario 11/15/10
Kjuncatman is from Monmouth, Ill. 11/15/10
Say hello folks!

Best wishes, Chuckwagon