Hello from Texas

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Hello from Texas

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 23:22

Hello all, I've been browsing the site for quite a while and decided to join the forum today.

I've been making BBQ for better than 20 years and learn something new about it each time I cook.

Sausage making was a chore I despised growing up, but I have recently gotten back into the hobby. I wish as a child I had appreciated it more.

I've gathered up some of the old recipes dad and his group used to make each year and will be trying them out over the next few months.

What prompted me to get back into it was due to eating some fresh sausage a friend made a couple of months ago, I had forgotten just how good it was compared to the "sausage" you can buy at the average store.

Over the last week I did some kielbasa and boudain and plan to make some more of each this weekend.

I have pictures of last weeks batch, but they are on PhotoBucket, can I post them here if I host them there?

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 03:07

Welcome aboard CrankyBuzzard. Nice to have you here. Yes, you can post from PhotoBucket right here...
Looking forward to your pics and any recipes you may send along. There's a message for you on Hyde Park under "new guys" on page 3. When you click on "welcome new guys", be sure to look at the bottom-right side of the page to click on page numbers.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 04:55

Well once again, thanks for the welcome!

As I said earlier, making sausage in my youth was something I despised each year! But, as I have aged, and tasted the store bought brats and such, I've realized that making my own is the way to go.

My boys share my thoughts and helped a bit when they were in town for Christmas and we made a little Boudain!

That pic represents about 1/8 of what we made. It's NOT what I used to eat in "Nawlins", but it's pretty close! BTW, pork liver is a PAIN to find in DFW! If anyone can help with that I would appreciate it!

The next 2 pics are of the kielbasa I made last week.

It's funny, as a child through teen years I HATED sausage making time! Now, I'm loving it!

I have a couple of "strange" cooks" coming this weekend. I'll post pics and recipes regardless of how they turn out.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:09

Great photos Cranky Charlie!
What time is dinner? Siara and I will bring the booze, dice, and wild women to the party, if you just serve up those great lookin' sausages! :lol:
Is that Dad's secret recipe Cranky? BTW... is Cranky Buzzard a restaurant? Neighborhood concern? Backyard doggery and thirst emporium? Black Tie & Tux?

Here is how you find pork livers in DFW. First you feed your horse a couple of Mama Mia's hot tacos, a couple of lone star beers, a bucket of molasses, a dozen pickled eggs, and all the broccoli and beans he can hold. Then you will have to ride yer ol' hoss into the butcher shop and have him turn a few brodies while you make a few uhh... "requests!" Timing is critical. Make sure Ol' Paint's gastric 'rumblin' corresponds with your arrival time. My butcher is always happy to accomodate me with just about anything I ask him to supply me. Works like a charm every time!

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23

Welcome Crankybuzzard; Good looking sausage you have there. Gotta love that Boudin. Pork livers are imposable to find here too. This might sound strange but I use Braunschweiger instead. Cheap and easy to get and the Boudin tastes great. Here's a batch I made last week.

Do you smoke any sausage's or meat's?

Hey CW if your large intestine is called a colon why ain't the small intestine called a semicolon.

Take care Trosky
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Jan 14, 2011 02:13

Thanks for the replies all! Making me feel right at home here!

Cranky Buzzard is a nickname I got many years ago and that is now what we refer to the cooking team (group) as. Mostly do custom BBQ and the occasional catering job. One of my smokers is typically in use weekly. I do have a full time job, so I don't get to smoke but a couple of days per week.

I USED to aggravate the neighbors until they found out that if I have room on the pit I'll cook something for them as well if they bring it over.

Troski, the Braunschweiger is a KILLER idea! I'll try that on the next batch! Beef liver was a bit too much for some folks and the veal liver is HIGH DOLLAR!

CW, I'll talk to my meat guy about the pork liver.

As for the question about do I smoke sausages or meats... Lets just say I am an addict when it comes to smoking... Just getting back into the sausage making realm, but meats are going full force each weekend. This weekend I have orders for brisket (3), full spares (4 racks), and salmon... Oh, gonna do some sausage as well! :lol:

Once I've been here a while I'll share a few items I have for folks that are just getting into the hobby of BBQ. Since this is a sausage board, I'll stick to that for now.

Gonna go in and patty up some breakfast sausage for the in-laws.

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32

Trosky wrote:
Hey CW if your large intestine is called a colon why ain't the small intestine called a semicolon.
George ol` pal...
I just won the $3 million dollar Utah Lottery! At first I was thrilled and was going to share it all with you! Then I remembered I am in Utah. The lottery winner in this state gets $3.00 a year for a million years. :sad:

Did you ever cut a hole in your wife's closet so you can put in an elevator to bring your grinder up to the kitchen? Your sausages look good enough to eat!

Hey Cranko,
You need to chat with our ol' bud Nutczak from Minocqua, Wisconsin. He makes smoked meats n' Q daily for his catering business too. He can really help you if you are thinking about licenses etc. Ol' Nutczak is quite a pro with a heck of a mobile set up for parties etc. Maybe we can get him to post a few photos eh?

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19

Chuckwagon wrote:Did you ever cut a hole in your wife's closet so you can put in an elevator to bring your grinder up to the kitchen? Your sausages look good enough to eat!

I'm working on it :wink:

Is this one of those Texas sausage's
Last edited by Troski on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:46

Trosky wrote:
Shucks Trosk, mine is called a "rollin` colon" ever since I swallowed... three contact lens, two turtle`s gloves, and a cartridge in a square tree! :lol:

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Jan 20, 2011 17:45

Howdy! Longview, TX here.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Jan 21, 2011 22:23

Hello Nick. You live in one of the most beautiful parts of Texas for sure!

I've seen some of your creations and look forward to seeing more soon!

Charlie