What is the best compliment you've gotten as a cook?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

What is the best compliment you've gotten as a cook?

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 01:29

This past weekend I made some ribs and sausage for a gent in my area that had never had my sausage or BBQ before. I delivered it to him on Sunday, and got an e-mail from him Sunday night that only said; "on a scale of 1-10 I rate the BBQ at 75".

Well, yesterday I recieved the following! The language is a bit colorful, but nothing that even the elementary kids haven't seen before... The review of my creations follow:

Update on my 75 out of a one to ten rating....
The meat has flavor enuf that it really doesn't need sauce. Like you said, the sauce diminishes the flavor of the meat. All of the meat comes off the bone and doesn't stick between my teeth, it's tender and very flavorful.

Now the eval on the flame throwing sausage: When I got up this morning as I stepped out of bed I managed to fart and the dog got singed and I set the sheets on fire. Not too much damage as it was directed in a small area and I have an extinguisher close by. I gave some small bits of the ribs to the dog but will NOT give her any of the sausage. Fearful that if she farts she will launch for flight and I'll have to send out search parties to find her.

Okay, seriously now Sir Charles, it was a bit spicy and had a nice kick to it but unlike most other hot items I've eaten, it did not make my head sweat. The kick was not like wasabi which is way out of my league. It doesn't burn so much that drinking is needed immediately. The kick is flavorful and reminds the eater that it's not gonna hurt but will leave good feelings of something good that was just eaten.

The short and simple is that you could work for any rib or BBQ place in the country sir and make a mint. The skillful flavors are on par with any I've eaten in my life sir. This is not smoke being blown up your skirt as you know me well enuf to know my years of basketball refereeing permit me to call them like I see them, but in this case call them as I tasted them.
Bob

I think he'll get more next weekend from the sounds of it... Gonna be hard to top! :shock:

Charlie
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Re: What is the best compliment you've gotten as a cook?

Post by Darthfrog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 04:43

CrankyBuzzard wrote: I delivered it to him on Sunday, and got an e-mail from him Sunday night that only said; "on a scale of 1-10 I rate the BBQ at 75".

I'm self taught in the art of BBQ and sausage, unfortunately I'm a bad teacher and a slow learner.
Sounds like you've learned a thing or two. :-)

The best compliment I've received was for a Thai chicken soup recipe I was testing. I had a good buddy over for dinner one night and was looking for honest feedback, so I could improve the recipe. I asked him, "What did you think? Was there too much of this? Not enough of that?" He replied, "There's not enough in my bowl!" as he got up for seconds. :-)

Ever since that dinner, it's known as "Not Enough In My Bowl Soup".

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Feb 26, 2011 22:26

Darthfrog -Buddy,

PLEASE share your Thai Chicken Soup recipe. I had some in the West end of Vancouver, years ago and it remains in the top three of my favourite taste experiences. It was served in a huge bowl with what appeared to be half of a chicken. The broth was to die for, the veggies tender crisp and noodles fat and juicy. WOW! I can still recall this after probably 30 years. It sounds like your recipe may bring the memories back to reallity.

Your new best friend,

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Feb 26, 2011 22:42

Cranky,

I'm trying to guess how you came by your 'handle.' Was there any spousal involvement? :wink:

That certainly was a complimentary letter. Your friend's reference to the dog brought back memories of a dog that we had a few years back. After being ridiculed several times for farting, he figured out how to blame it on someone else. He would let one go then jump up, bark and stare accusingly at whoever was nearest to him. It was hilarious!
I'm sure that we would all appreciate if you would share your BBQ formula.

Cheers,

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Sun Feb 27, 2011 01:15

steelchef wrote: PLEASE share your Thai Chicken Soup recipe. I had some in the West end of Vancouver, years ago and it remains in the top three of my favourite taste experiences.
Hi Colin, I don't think it'd be legit for me to post it here as I was beta testing it for a cookbook. Check your public library to see if they have a copy of "Whole Grains, Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. It's her "Thai Chicken Soup with Black Rice" recipe in that book. But I don't think that it will duplicate the experience you describe; it is a different style of soup.

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 02:07

Hi Darthofroggy,
That is most considerate of you. I wish others would respect copyright laws like you do. However, you've done your part in acknowledging the author and work and may post the recipe as long as it is not done for profit. Of course, it remains up to you.

P.S. I've got several publications floating around out there in space somewhere and very seldom get a request to use any material in print. Shucks, it's not that my recipes are that bad... honest :shock: , it's just that folks usually use it without even mentioning the author. When it is requested, it is VERY much appreciated by an author. I've seen how much Stan Marianski's books have been used without his permission, I'm sure - quite a bit on other sites! Of course NOT HERE.... on OURS! :lol:
It behooves us all to give credit to where credit is due. And, by the way, I hope everyone reading this message is aware of the fact that they may view Stan & Adam Marianski's material on the home page of this site. There is a wealth of information there. Simply go to:Wedlinydomowe.com All their publications are at Bookmagic.com
Oh, and if you use any of Stan, Adam's, or Mirek's info, why not drop Stan and Adam (Seminole) or Miroslaw Gebarowski (Maxell) a PM and tell them how much you appreciate their generosity? :wink: I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 02:53

steelchef wrote:Cranky,

I'm trying to guess how you came by your 'handle.' Was there any spousal involvement? :wink:

That certainly was a complimentary letter. Your friend's reference to the dog brought back memories of a dog that we had a few years back. After being ridiculed several times for farting, he figured out how to blame it on someone else. He would let one go then jump up, bark and stare accusingly at whoever was nearest to him. It was hilarious!
I'm sure that we would all appreciate if you would share your BBQ formula.

Cheers,

Colin
Sounds like a smart dog to me! :lol:

I got my nickname several years back from a friend's wife that stated, "that cranky buzzard ran me out of his kitchen"!

She said this loud enough that EVERYONE in the house heard it, and the name stuck!

Now, about the BBQ formula, no real secrets here, almost everything I do an follow can be found in my BBQ workbook. You can get a PDF copy of it here.

It's free for everyone and feel free to share it with others. I have some updates coming soon.

Charlie
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Feb 27, 2011 04:53

Charlie,

I am in awe and totally impressed with your work. The level of knowledge on this panel is indescribable. The amateurs among us should feel as if a blessing has been bestowed.
Many thanks to you and all of the other dedicated folks on this site for sharing your experience and wisdom.

Colin
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Feb 27, 2011 05:13

Since "Cranky Buzzard" has shared the origin of his 'handle' I feel obliged to share mine.
Our family(s) watch 'Iron Chef America' faithfully.
After a family Asian feast, my granddaughter, (who had been leanring about the history of metallurgy in school) remarked that steel was superior to iron so I should be called a steel chef.
As in Charlie's case, the name stuck and I was kind of proud of it. :oops:

We all know how Chuckwagon got his name, (he was run over at a rodeo.) :razz:

It would be interesting to know how Y'all got 'handled.' :mrgreen: