Left over beef and pork, time for stir fry!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Left over beef and pork, time for stir fry!

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 05:45

Had a LITTLE left over beef and about 1/4 of a butt left over so the wife and I decided to have stir fried rice this evening.

Sliced the meats really thin, added some chopped garlic, carrots, celery, green bell peppers, and some slivered onions to the wok. Looking good so far!

Gonna add rice and a little soy sauce in a few...

No pics, but a good idea for the left over meats!

Charlie
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:41

Hey Charlie,

My entire life has been consumed with cooking, baking, in general preparing food. My career took me in an entirely different direction but it was probably best that the passion remained a hobby. I've been retired for over two years now and have devoted 80% of my time to this pursuit. Asian food has always been a huge favourite among our extended family so I humbly submit my signature recipe for your approval. The first part of the recipe cost me an $80 bottle of Scotch Whisky, Whiskey? (there is a difference but I think it applies to the Irish variety.)

The chef from our favourite, local take out restaurant, found himself without a delivery driver one night. He delivered it himself. I recognized him and offered a drink instead of a tip. He accepted and after about three quick 'scotch and sodas' agreed to write out his recipe for "Mandarin Chicken," in exchange for a bottle of 14 year old "Craigellachie." I agreed and we did the deal the following day. :mrgreen:

Although the recipe specifies freshly cooked chicken, leftovers can be used very successfully and deliciously. I hope that this will add something to your use of leftover chicken or pork. :grin:

The 'Manchurian' part is my 'poetic' way of describing the merge of the two recipes.

Enjoy!

Manchurian Chicken Recipe

This recipe is a fusion of Mandarin Chicken and a bean sprout recipe. My friends and family gave it 6 stars! ******

16 oz boneless chicken breast or [thighs, tastier]
1/4 cup sugar (or less, according to taste)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup water
3 teaspoons cornstarch

- 200 grams fresh "snow peas
- 500 grams mung bean sprouts
- 1 medium carrot (diagonally & thinly sliced)
- 1 half small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup water
- 40-50 ml of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Oil for frying and sauté

Chop chicken into bite size pieces. Steam or stir-fry until done. Combine sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan. Heat over medium until sugar is dissolved, stirring often.
Bring to boil. Combine cornstarch and water.
Add to sauce pan, stirring often. Add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer 4-6 minutes or until sauce thickens.

In a wok or sauce pan, heat oil. Sauté onion until it`s translucent. Add carrots and snow peas. Stir fry for few seconds. Add the soy sauce and stir. Immediately add the water, sesame oil, ground peppercorn and sugar. Stir and finally add the mung bean sprout. Mix and stir until the sauce is all over the ingredients. Cover and wait for it to simmer.
Once it simmers, turn off heat and mix once more
Serve over or beside rice or noodles.
May be served separately - we prefer separates. Goes well with pot-stickers.

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.