Care To Share How You Got Your Handle?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 04:55

This is going to be a lot of fun. Nothing better than to have a great since of humor. Banter some people call it. I am 66yrs and not enough money to retire. I build and design injection molds for plastic. My tech help for the cad system is known as Master po from kung fu. So that makes me Grasshopper. Hate to say how I got into sauage making, My got a kitchen aid mixer for Christmas. I started to look at the accesories and got the grinder and stuffer. I do know some sauage stuffers, they are having a good laugh at my equipment. They are are also very helpful. I got the Rytek Kutas book and DVD. Havent got a smoker yet, head spinning from all the info. Thanks Mike
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 08:44

Mike, you're too young to retire anyway! :roll: Nice to have you with us pal. Heck, you don't even need the "fancy" table Ross has in the photo. Can you scrape up an old hot plate somewhere? Best to use a thin stainless steel pan on it with a little dampened sawdust. Find a suitable cardboard box, jam a few dowels through it to hold your sausages, and cut a little draft door at the bottom and a "damper" at the top and you're in business.
Now, for goodness sakes, ask these guys some questions. They thrive on it. Don't hesitate. There are no dumb questions around here... just dumb answers once in a while. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Feb 26, 2012 14:48

It's good to see all the NEW members joining the ranks!

My moniker was created in 'jest' of my age, but after reviewing the ages of many of the members here, it now seems strangely more appropriate! :mrgreen:

As one of my 'senior' congregants likes to say, "...it really isn't your age that matters....but what you do while you are aging."

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 26, 2012 14:57

The age is less telling than the road traveled and how hard you drove it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 23:20

My wife and I visited my Grandfather's home island of Faial, in the Azores, ~24 years ago. We found out while there that my family has a nickname, as many there do: Cabonaia. (I don't know how to spell it, so have made a guess.) We found out while I was helping my cousin shell corn with this ancient hand crank machine he had, and my 3-year-old was grabbing for the handle so he could help too. My cousin nodded his head and said, "Cabonaia." I asked his wife, who speaks English, what he meant. She said, "Oh, he said you are a Cabonaia. The Cabonaias, they like to work."

I grew up eating Portuguese sausages, and yeah, I like to work, and making sausages is my kind of work! So this handle that I learned while cranking a handle seemed to be just the thing.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Apr 24, 2012 03:18

I drive a red Z4. I refer to it as the Zed, (Americans would say zee), my wife calls it "useless".
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 03:05

When you see "laripu", which I prefer all lower-case, think Larry-poo. So now you know my real given name.

It also looks vaguely Romanian from the u at the end. When I write satire, my pseudonym is "Ignatz Laripu, Expert in Everything". ;) It's a kind of pose as a stuffy know-it-all.
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
DoubleWide

Post by DoubleWide » Sun Dec 30, 2012 03:04

I was always wide through the beam, and of course as age has come upon me I have gotten wide fore to aft as well.

I was out house looking with the family. I was really picking bad constructon and poor finish work out to the realtor, and he was getting tired of me. Every house seem to have narrow doors, or at least thats my story... Anywho, I started complaining about the doors cause I kept ratcheing in the frames like a pinball, and the realtor commented that maybe they needed to make them Double Wide for me...

Needless to say he didn't sell me a house.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 30, 2012 04:22

Doublewide, I have a small piece of advise for you. When you start making sausage with these guys, gather several of your friends around to help you eat some of the very best sausage and smoked meat you have ever had. I am certain that you will be tempted to make more than you can eat.
You might even be able to have them bring the meat for you to work your majic upon.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Danny

Post by Danny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 20:55

I chose my handle in deference to my mom who taught me how to make sausage when I was just a little tyke.

Her maiden name was Danielecki (how's that for a nice Irish name?) :wink: Anyway, everybody called her "Danny"...and, it also happens to be my middle name. It's impossible for me to make a sausage without thinking of my mom, so I figured that would be the perfect "handle" for me.
Danny
Richard Rowny
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Richard Rowny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 19:08

It's simply my name. It's Polish. As a word, translated into English, it most commonly means =Equal=. Google translate it from Polish into English and there are a number of meanings. Considering it was once fashioned as an identifier for an individual a thousand or so years ago; which one was his attribute?
Dzukija, Vilnius & Podsadzie, Lebedziewo
Ydnark

Post by Ydnark » Mon May 20, 2013 18:04

OK, I'll bite...

Ydnark is my handle, and it is not too existential...

Randy is my frist name, and the last name begins with K so,

Ydnar is Randy spelled backwards, followed by the K. Kinda simple, huh?
Bewildered and Beleagured...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 20, 2013 21:45

CW! I have been a bad influence. Randy done gone and caught the backwards disease.
Ssorllih.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 20, 2013 22:09

Mmmmm..... right again, "rongway"! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue May 21, 2013 16:57

's why I spell mine the simple way: "D", "Yuk", "Duck."
(thankx to my ol' pal, Daffy)
WooHoo! WooHoo! WooHoo!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.