Fresh Spanish Chorizo

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
daveduvet

Fresh Spanish Chorizo

Post by daveduvet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 23:22

Hi there! Can anybody point me in the direction of a fresh, uncooked Spanish Chorizo recipe? Thanks in advance.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 23, 2011 01:08

Ross- tightwad home cook
daveduvet

Post by daveduvet » Fri Mar 25, 2011 21:41

Thats an interesting looking recipe. Whats the Phosphate for?
daveduvet

Post by daveduvet » Fri Mar 25, 2011 21:49

Hey. No Worries! I've read up on this now!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Three Great Chorizo Recipes (Marianski)

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 05:27

Hi Ross and Dave,

Many folks are not aware of the vast resources and recipes made available to us on this site, free of charge, by Stan Marianski and Miroslaw Gebarowski. Simply find our "home page" at http://www.wedlinydomowe.com.
Both men are internationally renowned sausage making experts and respected authors. Both advocate NOT using any type of fillers or chemicals in sausage.
I would invite the expert opinion of another qualified professional here - our very own Polish moderator "Siara". Let`s request his opinion about phosphates added to sausage.

There are many types of "Chorizo". Original Spanish Chorizo is dry-cured, air dried, and made from coarsely chopped pork and seasoned with paprika and garlic. Most South American Chorizos are of a fresh type, which is fried for breakfast or grilled on a fire. Mexican Chorizo is made from ground pork and seasoned with chile peppers, garlic, and vinegar. It is moister and much hotter than the Spanish chorizo.

Spanish Chorizo is a dry sausage made from cured pork and is air dried until ready for consumption. The pork is coarsely chopped and seasoned with pepper, paprika and garlic. Spanish smoked paprika (sweet, bittersweet or hot) known as Pimentón gives it its deep red color. Here`s a direct link to the recipe: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/chorizo
Note there are 7 more types of "Spanish" Chorizo on the bottom of the page. These include:

Chorizo Riojano
Chorizo Castellano
Chorizo Cantipalos
Chorizo Navarro
Chorizo Salmantino
Chorizo Andaluz
Chorizo Calendario

Argentinian Chorizo is a fresh sausage and like other sausages made in Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru or Bolivia, it has its distinctive character. When sold on street corners or soccer stadiums they are served on a long French bread that in the USA will be called a subway sandwich. When served this way they go by the name of Choripan which is a combination of two words: Chori-zo (sausage) and pan (bread). The roll is cut lengthwise on one side and the sausage is placed on one of its halves. The second half is always covered with chimichurri which is Argentinian steak sauce. Sometimes the sausage is split lengthwise which is known as butterfly (mariposa) style.
In Uruguay it will be served with mayonaise and ketchup. South American sausages are often mixed with beef and being a fresh sausage they are cooked on a grill. South American chorizos contain more hot spices and are often seasoned with nutmeg, fennel and cloves. Another differenceis that South American chorizos are made with wine or in the case of Mexican chorizo with vinegar which makes them much moister.
Here is the link for a wonderful Argentinian Chorizo recipe by Stan Marianski. http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... rgentinian

Mexican Chorizo Sausage is made from pork that is ground and seasoned with chile peppers, garlic and vinegar. It is moister and much hotter than the Spanish chorizo. Here is the link for a terrific Mexican Chorizo recipe by Stan Marianski.
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... zo-mexican

Dave and Ross, for what it`s worth, I too discourage the use of phosphates or any other chemicals in sausage (other than sodium nitrate/nitrite of course). I believe that as you gain experience and study more about the craft, you too will come to agree with Siara and me about the use of any chemical addition to sausage.

If I may be so bold as to re-post some irrefutable information by Siara, I`d like to point out the findings regarding phosphates used in sausage. Our Polish moderator Siara was reviewing a product called, "special meat binder" available from Butcher-Packer in Detroit. It is used to make a sausage more plump and juicy... artificially.

Quote:
The review analyzes the results of recent studies on the biochemistry of high-molecular inorganic poly-phosphates (PolyPs). The data obtained lead to the following main conclusions. PolyPs are polyfunctional compounds. The main role of PolyPs is their participation in the regulation of metabolism both at the genetic and metabolic levels. Among the functions of PolyPs known at present, the most important are the following: phosphate and energy storage; regulation of the levels of ATP and other nucleotide and nucleoside-containing coenzymes; participation in the regulation of homeostasis and storage of inorganic cations and other positively charged solutes in an osmotically inert form; participation in membrane transport processes mediated by poly-β-Ca2+-hydroxybutyrate complexes; participation in the formation and functions of cell surface structures; control of gene activity; and regulation of activities of the enzymes and enzyme assemblies involved in the metabolism of nucleic acids and other acid biopolymers. However, the functions of PolyPs vary among organisms of different evolutionary levels. The metabolism and functions of PolyPs in each cellular compartment of procaryotes (cell wall, plasma membrane, cytosol) and eucaryotes (nuclei, vacuoles, mitochondria, plasma membrane, cell wall, mitochondria, cytosol) are unique. The synthesis and degradation of PolyPs in the organelles of eucaryotic cells are possibly mediated by different sets of enzymes. This is consistent with of the endosymbiotic hypothesis of eucaryotic cell origin. Some aspects of the biochemistry of high-molecular PolyPs are considered to be of great significance to the approach to biotechnological, ecological and medical problems.

Source:
Code:
New aspects of inorganic polyphosphate metabolism and function Igor Kulaev, Vladimir Vagabov and Tatiana Kulakovskaya G.K. Skryabin Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Region, 142292, Russia Received 16 April 1999; accepted 22 May 1999. ; Available online 10 November 1999.

Link: http://www.sciencedirect....3d&searchtype=a

Gentlemen, I appreciate your concern and scrutiny in this matter and hope you have reviewed the information with consideration for your own health. I adamantly believe that a better sausage product may be made without the use of added chemicals. I would like to reiterate and amplify the concluding sentence of the article:
"Some aspects of the biochemistry of high-molecular PolyPs are considered to be of great significance to the approach to biotechnological, ecological and medical problems.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Mar 26, 2011 08:08

Here are my 2-bits on this subject.

I began trying to make 'real sausage' using Len Poli`s (Sonoma Mountain Sausage) methods. I had never used chemicals, (phosphates etc.) in my sausage before but since I couldn`t achieve a commercial taste, decided to give it a go. I purchased a bunch of "essentials" and must admit that by following his formulas, I did achieve some moderate success.

Then I discovered the British forum which downplayed the use of chemicals and finally this wonderful site. I have discarded all of the phosphates etc, (through my local pharmacy) and now feel much more secure about making REAL, natural sausage.

In doing further research it appears that these chemicals were developed and are used primarily by the huge food conglomerates, to aid in the convenience of mass production.
The use of nitrates/nitrites is a no brainer, now that I have a better understanding.

Len Poli, according to his website is a scientist and professor of microbiology. He also states that he has been involved in advising a `large sausage company` in the San Francisco area.

I`m not suggesting that he is wrong, simply that I feel better, having fed my family and friends, a natural product.

Thank you to our Polish friends, Chuckwagon and all of the other learned folks on this website, for sharing and preserving the true art of sausagemaking.

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:33

I agree with both of you in the minimal use of special purpose chemicals. The total knowledge that I have of food chemistry could be handwritten on a couple of index cards.
In the last whole earth catalog someone stated that the less you do to a molecule the better of you are in life.
I generally avoid using anything in my food that can't be found in the local grocery store. Cure being the exception.
My turkey sausage mix is made with cure, salt, black peper, italian seasoning, red pepper, 75 percent lean turkey and 25 percent pork fat. I mixed the cure and salt with the cut up meat and fat for 12 hours and then ground it through a course plate and added the rest of the seasonong. I will wrap a thin turkey breast around it and roast it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:50

ssorllih wrote:I agree with both of you in the minimal use of special purpose chemicals. The total knowledge that I have of food chemistry could be handwritten on a couple of index cards.
Well you have me there Ross. I wrote what I know about food chemistry on the back of a postage stamp and still had room for the Declaration of Independence.

Jeez, if you guys keep posting these amazing, taste tempting ideas, I'll have no time to paint the fence this year. (Steelwife is not buying this, at all.) :mrgreen:

Your turkey sausage sounds like winner. I had the good fortune to pick up a few turkeys after Christmas at less than half price. Gonna smoke a couple of them but your recipe sounds like a great solution to dealing with at least one other. Thanks!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.