New Guy:...and new to Sausage-Making

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

New Guy:...and new to Sausage-Making

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 00:21

Hello everyone.
So after a month or so of gathering equipment, information and expert opinions for forums (such as this one), I took the plunge and ventured into the world of grinding & stuffing a few weeks ago...

Picked up about 16lbs of boneless pork butt from Costco.

I decided to make 3 varieties of sausage; Italian, both hot and sweet varieties (in casings), and a bulk breakfast sausage.

Fired up the new grinder and I was in business. Made 3 separate five-pound batches.

Got a chance to finally use my horizontal hydro,muzzle-loading stuffer -which will actually hold approximately 12 pounds full. I loaded 5 pounds of the sausage (my son assisted using the ramrod to help pack the cannon).

Had a few beginner hiccups in the process. After several 'blow-outs' my boys & I got the hang on correctly applying enough water to the natural casings to ensure smooth transition off the stuffing tube. The nice thing about this stuffer is it is quite easy to control the speed of the meat flow-a very important consideration especially for novices like myself.

The end result:

I was very happy with the results, despite a few beginner-mistakes along the way. Part of the learning process I suppose.
Since this initial episode I've tackled a few other sausages beside the basic fresh variety- an emulsified veal & pork bockwurst, and a smoked kielbasa. I've plenty of photos of the process, but I'll save those for another time and thread.

Glad to finally be part of this very helpful place! :mrgreen:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:33

Hi NorCal,
Absolutely outstanding! If those are your first sausages then you must be related to our pal JBK101. Both of you make sausages like you've done it all your lives. Great photos too.
Your grinder looks like it will easily handle a herd at a time and your stuffer is most interesting. Who makes it?
Wow, with talent like that, you'll have all the neighbors and relatives over to your house lining up for treats! Keep posting and keep grinding! Nice to have you with us NorCal. Oh, I noticed your sig. Do you speak Polish?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 15:27

Hi Chuckwagon!

Thanks for the nice comments! These were my first attempt at sausages, but I felt like I was well-prepped to try it. I've been biding my time for weeks now learning from others, reading, researching equipment, etc. before FINALLY actually doing it. Good learning experience.

The stuffer was built by another sausage-enthusiast (who also happens to be an engineer) I met on another forum. He designed a pretty cool meat mixer as well that I used with my last batch.

My wife & in-laws are all polish so I've picked up a bit of the lingo, but I'm far from fluent and I write it better than I speak it. I DO know they all wanted me to start cranking out the smoked kielbasa. I have more pics of THAT process.

- NCK
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 21:40

NorCal Kid,
Those also look so great, Are you willing to share the design plans for your stuffer! Way cool! have been looking to purchase one but now I might want to just make my own.
John
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Jun 04, 2011 23:38

Nice job Kid...that stuffer though scares me. Sure enough there will be meat paste all over the walls and ceiling :grin:
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 01:26

jbk101 wrote:NorCal Kid,
Those also look so great, Are you willing to share the design plans for your stuffer! Way cool! have been looking to purchase one but now I might want to just make my own.
John
Hi John

The stuffer was designed & built by a sausage-making friend of mine in Montana. He's been making home-sausages for years & is also a gifted engineer. He has designed several sizes (one 2X the size I have which holds about 11lbs of meat!) and custom builds them to order. He'll build the whole thing for you (cost more) or just the plans & some of the critically-engineered parts & you build the rest (less costly).

Nice thing about the stuffer is it can be operated by one person; plus NO cranking.

If you're interested, I can PM his contact info. Nice guy, too.

Kevin/NCK