WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Feb 26, 2013 16:01

Charlie I am really sorry to hear that.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 26, 2013 17:09

My sincere condolences Charlie.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 21:26

Charlie I am sorry to hear about the hard news you got. My condolences.

Jeff
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 26, 2013 23:16

Seems like the longer we live the more frequently those calls come.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 23:30

Sorry to hear that.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Feb 27, 2013 00:15

Thanks for the thoughts and words folks. This was a guy that should have been with us for a long time....

But, we did try some of the cheese last night and WOW! Tasted great! The almonds will be sampled this evening, and if all goes well with them, I'll share how I did all of it.

If all doesn't go well, I'll be asking all of you what I should do next time! :lol:

Charlie
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 08:02

Hey Ray - there are a lot of pigs around here. I live just off Uvas Rd., which you may have driven on if you visited Cinnabar Hills golf course. There are a lot of wild pigs around here. Sometimes they stand by the road and watch you drive by. A big old one ran into my car once. I've shot a few, and that's how I got into making sausage. I'm not a hunter, but when they are digging up your garden you get religion. Unfortunately, my family didn't like the way they tasted, and at the time I couldn't make a decent sausage to save my life. Too bad I didn't have this forum to depend on at the time.

Cheers,
Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 01, 2013 15:48

Cabonaia wrote:Hey Ray - there are a lot of pigs around here. I live just off Uvas Rd., which you may have driven on if you visited Cinnabar Hills golf course. There are a lot of wild pigs around here. Sometimes they stand by the road and watch you drive by. A big old one ran into my car once. I've shot a few, and that's how I got into making sausage. I'm not a hunter, but when they are digging up your garden you get religion. Unfortunately, my family didn't like the way they tasted, and at the time I couldn't make a decent sausage to save my life. Too bad I didn't have this forum to depend on at the time.

Cheers,
Jeff
Hi Jeff, I played that track right near the end of my golf career, and another one in MH a long time ago, think it was called the Flying Dutchman or something like that. About 23-24 years ago my partner and I were paired up with Tiger Woods and his dad Earl at Tularcitos GC in Milpitas, we were the reining 2-man best ball and scramble champs. 12 years old, I remember Tiger shot a 74 from the mens white tees, I shot a 78 there once in maybe 200 rounds. We're still waiting for him to hoist a trophy and acknowlege the day that changed his game, and his life.

It took me a long time and a lot of failed efforts before I stopped bringing all my wild pigs to Los Gatos Meats for processing. Great tasting sausage can be made from wild hogs by cutting the meat with about 40% fatty domestic porkbutt, the spices determine the type of sausage, as you know. Yep, I sure wish I'd have known back then what I know now. You live in a beautiful area, close the the ocean, close to the country. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 18:40

sawhorseray wrote:Great tasting sausage can be made from wild hogs by cutting the meat with about 40% fatty domestic porkbutt
Where were you with this info 20 years ago?! I DID eat those pigs...I liked the meat ok. Tasted like they ate a lot of bay leaves & berries. I tried to trap one so I could fatten it up...that turned into quite a comedy (found out they are easier to trap then hold on to :idea: ). Wild pigs gave me great opportunity to get some butchering experience, and exposed me to one of the best uses of the Sawzall. :mrgreen:

I never see pigs on my property where I live now -- I'm too much in the trees. But I know where they cross the road to find water, where they like to wallow, what hillsides they enjoy for socializing. I think people drive by them all the time and never even notice they are there. None of these places are open to hunting but I enjoy the view. Now I'm planning to raise my own pigs and have already gotten some good advice on this forum (thanks Butterbean!).

If you're ever out this way give me a shout. We'll have a beer and a kabanosy or two and swap pig hunting stories.

Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 01, 2013 21:13

Cabonaia wrote:
sawhorseray wrote:Great tasting sausage can be made from wild hogs by cutting the meat with about 40% fatty domestic porkbutt
Wild pigs gave me great opportunity to get some butchering experience, and exposed me to one of the best uses of the Sawzall. :mrgreen:
Jeff
That made me laugh! I grew up using a Sawzall too, and tried to incorporate my experience into my first, and last, taxidermy venture

Maybe we could hook up some time like you said, I'll trade you a pack of Kolbasz for a pack of Kabanosy! RAY
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 22:23

Deal!
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Where's the gold!!?

Post by ursula » Sun Mar 10, 2013 04:57

Hi all,
Well the harvest is nearly all in and I've been flat out making quiches, processing tomatoes (from my 60 plants!),freezing beans and juicing apples. It's time to play!
I will be offline for a couple of weeks, heading up to the Golden Triangle in my new car(no, not a Corvette) and prospecting for gold with my newly acquired metal detector. Some cycling too if the weather ever drops below 90.
Wish me luck in my quest for gold!
Warm wishes to all
Ursula
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Fri Mar 22, 2013 09:22

Hi everyone,
My quest for gold in the Golden Triangle was fun, but unsuccessful. Returned home with lots of fresh pork and salmon ready to brine and smoke, and wild weather has torn the door off my lovely little smokehouse, so there'll be some urgent repair work on the cards tomorrow. On top of that, I forgot to take the garbage out before departure of ten days. It was not pretty...
Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22

Wow, girl!
Can you spell o-d-i-f-e-r-o-u-s? P-U! :roll:
Hey, your short jaunt-quest for gold may be over, but we're all wishing and hoping you indeed find "the mother lode" and strike it rich on your next venture. Good luck pal. We've missed you... so get busy writin' in occasionally.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

spring snow

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 25, 2013 15:32

Woke up this morning before sunup and we were getting a little snow. It is still snowing but it won't be around for long when the sun come back out. There may be about 3 inches out there now. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook