WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:47

When my boys were that age I had to pry them out of bed for school but they would be up at the first light on weekends. Now they have kids and grandkids of their own.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 10, 2012 17:26

Stan Marianski has recently updated the sausage recipe list over on this site: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/ He has added several new recipes and formulations. There are enough recipes on just this page; http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/all to keep a sausage maker busy for a year making different sausages every day.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 10, 2012 17:47

After you have made your breakfast sausage you may want some poached eggs on english muffins. The eggs are last minute preparations but the english muffins take a little longer. The dough is a basic flour, milk and yeast dough that you shape in your hands and bake in an iron skillet and they come out like this: Image
From here they need to be split with a fork and toasted. Then you can poach the eggs.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Old Farts

Post by DLFL » Sun Apr 01, 2012 17:49

I never really liked the terminology "Old Farts" but this makes me feel better about it.

And if you ain't one, I bet ya you know one!

I got this from an "Old Fart" friend of mine!

OLD FART PRIDE

I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only old fart receiving it. Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see.

Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the National Anthem. Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.
Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbour , Guadalcanal , Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam .
If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Farts trust strangers and are courtly to women.
Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.
Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.
Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.
It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politicians, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values.

We need them now more than ever.

Thank God for Old Farts!

I was taught to respect my elders. It's just getting harder to find them.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 01, 2012 18:17

For a little while I thought maybe I would qualify. Does five out of ten make the grade? :roll:
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1st timer needing some really simple directions and help

Post by el Ducko » Tue Apr 03, 2012 04:57

Vermonter wrote:I have three pigs...
What a coincidence. Two of our grandchildren were staying with us this past weekend, and we always like to read stories together, but enjoy it best when we make up our own parts of the story. A new twist on the three little pigs...?

I guess I shouldn't go into details, but how about one little piggie living in a smokehouse, and one little piggie living in a slaughterhouse, and...

Noooo... Not suitable for a two year old and a five year old. Maybe when they hit ten and twelve, we'll do a live, updated version with grinder and stuffer and smoker. Until then, one will live in an environmentally friendly straw bale house, another in a restored wooden Vermont farmhouse complete with beautiful old wooden beams, and a third in a rent-controlled brick tenement in Boston.

...or something. :lol: In a few years, we'll do the Texas version.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 05:44

Hi Jay,
You'll just have to excuse El Duckster... he's off his meds again. :roll: I'm not really sure what he's got, but I bet it`s really hard to pronounce! I swear, that guy's combo plate is short one taco.
Good luck with your piggies this weekend. What other projects have you got in mind for them? Don't be afraid to ask questions around here - someone with knowledge in a particular area will always come to the rescue.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 03, 2012 05:45

My earliest memories are of the farm and dad chopping the head off a chicken. Then it was dunked in hot water and all the feathers pulled off and then mother would hold it over a gas flame to singe the hairs off. Then she would take a knife and clean out the guts and put the chicken in a pot of water for our supper. We didn't make friends with the chickens, we had them for supper.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:03

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Jay,
You'll just have to excuse El Duckster... he's off his meds again. :roll:
You'll have to excuse our beloved moderator, too. In these modern times, there no longer are any moderates, so maybe the Moderator should be called... [Well, he'd probably just delete it.][:sniff-smiley:]

As to the meds, ol' Dr. Duck recommends you "take two" [sausages] "and call me in the morning." ...and don't forget blood sausage in your efforts. It's troublesome to do, but can be well worth the effort. Do some research, though- - I find the English version nasty, but on a recent trip to Chile, I found their blood sausage to be quite good. :cool:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 01:53

Now listen here Duck! Don`t make me use UPPERCASE! And how many time do I have to tell ya... Don't wear polka-dot underwear under those white shorts. Geeeeze, I wonder how many people know that you quit trying to water-ski because you couldn't find a lake with a slope on it! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Apr 04, 2012 02:11

UhOh! Sounds like somebody tried to make friends with Chuck.E.Waggin's chickens again. ...right, Ross? :lol:

And just for the record (45 rpm),
was ... ... it ... ... an ... ...
itsy bitsy teenie weenie jello polka dot bikini,
that you saw for the first time today?

Son, we need ta step outside and have a little talk. :roll:
How long have you been seeing spots? Have you been eating much pork sausage lately? ...RAW pork sausage? :shock:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Appointments and Doctors.

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 09, 2012 14:06

We all hate to have a 9 o'clock appointment and have sit in the waiting room for an hour before we talk to anyone other than the receptionist. Today I had an appointment at 8:15, I got there at 8:00 and saw the Doctor and was out of the parking garage at 8:20. :cool: :grin:
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Apr 09, 2012 14:35

I prefer the first appointment I can get whenever I see doc, dentists, etc. Never a backlog of waiting folks & I'm out pretty quickly. Only delay sometimes if the docs running late.

I have heard it by 'experts' that early appointments are best because not only is it less crowded (& the doctor is under less time constraints), but also because the docs are 'fresher' more alert, and more likely to spend additional time with patients.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Apr 09, 2012 14:35

Ross,

Sounds like the start of a very good week! :lol:

Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 09, 2012 15:06

Some doctors overbook. scheduling patients every 15 minutes and always taking 20-25 minutes.
Ross- tightwad home cook