WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Time to give it a rest

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 29, 2012 01:07

I took an inventory of my freezer today. I have at least ten pounds of sausage in six flavors plus bacon and ham to last until June. I have been cooking meat that I bought a year ago. I don't need anymore sausage . Is there a sausage maker anonymous somewhere?
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jan 29, 2012 02:25

Ross,
...had a college roommate from Eastern Shore Maryland. (You know 'im?)

There was a time when I was home on leave from the Army, and went to my old neighborhood barber shop for a haircut. The old guy, who had cut my hair all his life, asked me what I was doing and I told him. He stopped snipping for a moment while he thought, then said, "I had a nephew in the Army once. You know 'im?"

Anyway, Eastern Shore duck hunting, or anywhere around the Chesapeake, is supposed to be great. That was close to fifty years ago, so maybe it isn't any longer. You ought to get a friend to take you. Ah, the sight of ducks at sunrise, circling, forming up overhead... while you freeze your buns off below. Take a camera, at least. (That's what we did in Dad's later years.)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jan 29, 2012 02:27

If it'll help, several of us now gladly accept refrigerated shipments, no charge. :lol:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 29, 2012 02:45

We don't see many ducks but the Canada Geese are abundant. There are two kinds now the migratory and the locals. They were hunted by the meat hunters to near extinction but with the grain farmers on the eastern shore the numbers are back. Not unusual to see more than 500 in a single field.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Yay, Ducks!

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jan 30, 2012 00:47

Years ago, my wife and I went to one of the parks in the city of Denver for a Symphony Orchestra concert. On schedule was Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, complete with an artillery battery from nearby Fort Carson, Colorado.

The orchestra finished up the first part of the program and cranked up the main piece about twilight, just as the local ducks were settling in for the evening. The first artillery volley scared 'em, got 'em all up off the lake and flying in all directions. As the music settled into the siege portion of the piece, they began forming up overhead, circling, getting ready to land.

They were just coming in over the crowd for a landing when the final assault music began, and the poor 2nd Looie in charge of the battery gave the command, "Fire for Effect!" ...which scared the you-know-what out of the ducks, peppering the crowd from above. :!:

We figure that although the Germans lost to the Russians back then, nowadays the crowd loses and the ducks win. :cool:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 30, 2012 02:29

Those ducks just had to lighten their load and get out of Dodge.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jan 30, 2012 14:27

Hey, Chuckwagon,

Maybe we should re-name the thread (temporarily) to "Stinky Chat II" at the rate we're going. I apologize for that. :oops:

What's the musical term for a sticky note? (Or does 3M have the patent on THAT too?) (Sorry. Chemical engineering joke. ...too many letters after name. Please refer to previous post. Then take two bourbon and call me in the morning.)

"Okay. Moving right along..."
(Dang! Another of those pesky quotes...)
(...and ellipses, too! What's this world coming to?)
(Uh... to what is this world coming?)(Sorry- - married an English major.)
(...too much education without a helmet.) :razz:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:38

Hey, JohnRambo,
...any progress on that salmon belly recipe? Could you use the same recipe as the gravlax recipe? ...or did you have a different flavor or two in mind?

I'd be interested to know. Seems like I remember that salmon belly is one of the prized ingredients for specialty sushi. :grin: Yum!
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Feb 05, 2012 02:52

Devo, if you want to try something fun with French toast cook it in the waffle maker. My kids totally dig it!
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 02:57

JerBear wrote:Devo, if you want to try something fun with French toast cook it in the waffle maker. My kids totally dig it!

A little history:
I'm not a cook

I'm not a morning person

I'm a single parent

He is friggen lucky to get breakfast :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 05, 2012 03:13

Isn't it kinda funny when somebody puts together a breakfast like that with home cured bacon and home made french toast and claims to not be a cook?
He can probably brine and roast a chicken, bake some potatoes and chop a head of lettuce into four pieces and pour some blue cheese dressing over it and say that he can't fix dinner for four people
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Feb 05, 2012 03:33

I think you're onto something Ross! And Devo, I find it difficult to watch the many pans I sometimes need for weekend breakfasts so using the waffle maker means one less pan to watch, trust me it's easier (assuming of course that you have a waffle maker).
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 03:34

Ross you missed the point:I'M NOT A MORNING PERSON :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:02

devo, If you keep that boy around for very long you are going to have to hit the bed earlier because he will turn you into a MORNING PERSON! whether you like it or not. :lol: :lol: :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:14

Well if I keep him around is a no brainer Ross....he is my son and he is the light of my life so he will be around till I boot him in his you know where. :mrgreen:
Thing is when he was 4 or 5 he would be up at the first brake of day light, now that he is getting older...8 years old OH ya he sleeps till I get him up. I still have the coffee on before he gets up so no worries