Everything but the cluck

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Everything but the cluck

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jan 15, 2012 23:26

We have been raising and processing our own chickens for three years now and we use pretty much everything the birds have to offer. Livers and gizzards go to pasta dishes, birds are broken down to breasts, legs and wings. Then the carcass is made in stock and meat pieces saved for tacos and soup.

the only thing I've wanted to try and never have are chicken feet. Today was the day. :grin:

Very good actually...then again I will try anything once! The missus and young-en weren't so interested. Although they tried (credit given for effort) they have a 'texture' thing. I would do it again. The collagen is supposed to be very good for the joints too.

Up next is the bird's comb.

Into a soy based sauce to simmer for 1 1/2 hours

Ready to eat
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 15, 2012 23:37

a couple of the stores here sell chicken feet. With the army base and Washington nearby we have a very diverse population and different communities have different offerings in the stores.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 00:30

Nice Job!!! Wife is really liking the pictures and going Mmmmmm, Don't know if I could get past the visual pictures in my head to eat one. I give you a thumbs up for using that whole chicken and sharing with us. Thank you Dave :smile:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 00:59

Dave for President in 2012! :lol:
OK pard, next up are "Rocky Mountain Oysters"... are you ready?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 16, 2012 02:04

I have eaten baluts and find them tasty so mountain oysters are not a challange.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Jan 16, 2012 02:30

I'll mostly try anything once, judging by Dave's photos Chicken "walkers" could be very good.

Rocky Mountain Oysters I'll eat, but Balut I may have to do some thinking exercises on.

Maybe we can get Maz to talk to us about the delicacy from his part of the world, Mopane worms. :grin:
Ron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 00:18

Hi,
I draw the line at Baluts. Mountain Oysters I have eaten several times and they are great.
Grubs of any kind are OFF the menu.
My dear wife would instantly vacate our house. mmmm? got me thinking!!!!! I might have plenty time for mincing and filling skins after all.
Regards,
Jan.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Tue Jan 17, 2012 04:55

Dave,

I grew up in farm the country of Indiana. My mothers parents were farmers. The sold eggs, vegetables, and butter to help out. When the laying hens were slaughtered their feet were used to make the richest broth you could imagine. This will make the best noodles, or dumplings you have ever tasted.

Dick
Dick

Never quit learning!
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 15:03

Chuckwagon wrote:OK pard, next up are "Rocky Mountain Oysters"... are you ready?
I have always thought I would give em a go...maybe when I get back out to the Rocky Mountains for a visit to the Chuckwagon's place we can rustle some up
DLFL wrote:I grew up in farm the country of Indiana. My mothers parents were farmers. The sold eggs, vegetables, and butter to help out. When the laying hens were slaughtered their feet were used to make the richest broth you could imagine. This will make the best noodles, or dumplings you have ever tasted.
We do add the feet when making stock. It adds a deliciousness you wouldn't expect. The collagen is tremendous. Five or six feet in a giant stockpot is just right. Funny you should mention it. Tonight's supper is chicken soup with grandma's egg noodles.

Dave
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 17:25

Maybe we can get Maz to talk to us about the delicacy from his part of the world, Mopane worms.
Bushveld prawns :lol: Yes I have eaten them. What I found is you need to get someone that knows how to cook them. I did come across a group that were harvesting them on a hiking trail , they wrap some plastic shopping bag around their forefinger and thumb then pull them through and all the innards squirt out , there after they are sun dried. I have had them plain and smoked.
Chicken feet are plentiful here also sold in packs of heads and feet mixed in the bag, locals refer to them as " walky talkies." So I would suggest we refer to Dave's dish as "Dave's Walkies." :lol:
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 17:58

Maz wrote: Chicken feet are plentiful here also sold in packs of heads and feet mixed in the bag, locals refer to them as " walky talkies."
Now that's funny Maz. :mrgreen:

But I have to ask...what do they do with the heads?? Into the stock pot? Eat the combs??

Dave
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 17:01

Hi Dave, sorry some how could not find the post, only time I have seen them cooking the heads they removed all the feathers and gave then a good wash and into the pot with a bit of curry powder. Made into a sort of stew but not with the meat falling off the bones if you know what I mean.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 09:37

Dave, how did your Grandma's noodles and chicken soup turn out?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 16:54

Dave Zac wrote:
Maz wrote: Chicken feet are plentiful here also sold in packs of heads and feet mixed in the bag, locals refer to them as " walky talkies."
Now that's funny Maz. :mrgreen:

But I have to ask...what do they do with the heads?? Into the stock pot? Eat the combs??

Dave
I tried finding a nice demonstration but you can definitely stew or gently simmer the combs. It is very popular in France. They are just cooked until tender, similar to tripe, although the combs don't need to be so thoroughly cleaned and the combs take much less time to cook.

Even Michelin restaurants will use them as a garnish or central focus in their tasting courses and charge a lot of money for them.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jan 22, 2012 02:35

Chuckwagon wrote:Dave, how did your Grandma's noodles and chicken soup turn out?
Outstanding indeed. Can't beat homemade stock. Add some sauteed celery carrots onion and mushrooms. Of course chicken. And homemade egg noodles. It fixes what ails ya!