I am lost

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 28, 2012 04:35

Grandma would say "use enough but not too much". :lol:
Ross- tightwad home cook
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Wed Mar 28, 2012 19:08

OK. Follow-up to my last question. On page 476, the calculation examples present the amount of Cure #1 for dry-cured bacon based on the weight of the entire piece, without taking the fat content out of consideration.

Given that the nitrite is not taken up by the fat layers, does it matter if we calculate the amount of Cure Mix on the weight of the entire piece? Seems to me that, since it won't penetrate where the fat is exposed, and will only penetrate where the lean is exposed, and the Cure Mix is evenly distributed over the entire piece, that the lean will still receive only that portion which is on the lean.

I ask because some advise to calculate on the whole piece and others advise to calculate only on the lean, for any curing, including sausage. It seems to me like it would matter in sausage, but not so much on whole muscle or belly.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 28, 2012 20:43

My reply here is my interpretation of what I have read. It would seem that when sodium nitrite reacts with the muscle it ceases to be sodium nitrite because some of the nitrogen is given up as an oxide. I haven't figured out where the sodium goes or what the molecule becomes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Thu Mar 29, 2012 19:43

Sodium nitrite reacts spontaneously with water in the meat to produce sodium oxide, nitric oxide, a little dinitrogen monoxide (laughing gas), and a little free nitrogen and oxygen.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.