If you are ever in Chicago....

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Dumoine
Beginner
Beginner

If you are ever in Chicago....

Post by Dumoine » Fri Apr 13, 2012 09:30

If you are ever in Chicago, stop in Kurowski's Sausage Shop. This Polish market has an enormous selection of homemade sausages, ham, bacons, head cheese and luncheon meats. Hanging behind the delicatessen counter are several varieties of kielbasa. Kielbasa Zywiecka, Bigosowa, Rzeszowska, Mysliwska, Jalocowa, Tarnowska, Swojska, Chkopska, Resnais, Cielecca, Weijska, Kabonos, Weselna, Krakowska. They have smoked whole chickens hanging back there as well. In the deli case are several type of hams, blood sausages, fresh sausages and some very interesting looking bacons. Boczek Fazerowany, Rolada Krawoski, Boczek Zwijany, Rolada Wieprzowa. The staff and customers are all Polish speaking. Once you walk in this place, you will think you are in Poland. The prices are very reasonable. Many of the kielbasas are 1.99 a pound.
Everything I have tasted from there is wonderful. Their hams are the best I have ever had. I also noticed that they go light on the salt here. While many of the recipes on this site call for 1.8% salt, the salt content in the smoked sausages here taste closer to 1.0%. There is also a nice selection baked goods, produce, Polish mustards and condiments. Kurowski's is a must stop for me when visiting Chicago. I think it could be for anyone on this site. I wish I could speak Polish, there is so much I could learn here.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 13, 2012 16:54

Chicago is the largest Polish city outside of Poland. I would love to be a gofer in their production room for a year.
Ross- tightwad home cook
YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by YooperDog » Mon May 07, 2012 18:34

I make quarterly treks to Chicago for my Polish fix. Never been to Kurowski's, but I will put it on the radar for an upcoming trip. I used to like to go to Bobaks on Archer, but it is not the same since all the changes and closing of the restaurant. Now I prefer going to Joe and Franks down the street a bit, besides it is also near a decent Chicago beef shop.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue May 08, 2012 02:38

Hi Dumoine,

I'm flying up to Windy City next week for work, and will definitely have a look at the store.
My closest local store is Patak Meats in Atlanta, they have some divine products as well.
Ron
Dumoine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dumoine » Tue May 08, 2012 04:31

Bubba, i hope you enjoy going there as much as I do. Most of their sausages hang behind the deli counter at room temperature, so you know they take to extra steps to produce them as they did in Poland before refrigeration was wide spread. There is also a good Polish restaurant on the same side of the street about a block east. It is called Staropolska. And yes they serve home made sauerkraut. Everything we had was very good.