Simple brine for wild turkey?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Simple brine for wild turkey?

Post by tooth » Sat Apr 28, 2012 15:38

Hey guys, been awhile since my last post. Haven't made much sausage lately, but I did bag my first wild turkey yesterday!

I've got him cleaned up whole and chilling (literally!) in the fridge. I'm looking for a simple brine I can use because I want to hot smoke this sucker! I've seen CW's smoke & choke brine, which I'm open to using, however I'd like to understand the process of creating an appropriate brine on my own. I read the brine curing post here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5391
but unfortunately, I still don't understand how to create a brine (and the brine table link below it is busted). Maybe there's a link that I'm missing? or maybe someone can explain a little better what kind of ratio of salt/sugar/water I need? (I know I need to buy the Marianski book. I have the Ruhlman/Polcyn book, and the salt numbers in that seems astronomical for a gallon of brine so I'm hesitant to use that as well)

Let me know what you all think, most recipes call for a 48 hr brine, I wanted to smoke this thing tomorrow, but that seems a little unrealistic based on the given timeline. So the other question is, if I brine it starting today and it comes out Monday or Tuesday, what should I do with it until next weekend? Is it ok just in the fridge, or will I need to freeze it?

Thanks in advance!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 28, 2012 17:37

Tooth, Start by thinking like this: Nearly 3 pounds of salt will dessolve in a gallon of water. That equals 100 on a salinometer. 1.5 pounds of salt in a gallon of water will equal 50 on the salinometer. Now that explains the seemingly large amounts of salt in a brine.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Apr 28, 2012 18:10

A poultry brine is the easiest brine in the world, all that you need to know is 1/2 a pound of salt per gallon of water which will give you a 21 degree brine, which is what's most often recommended for poultry.

The Ruhlman/Polcyn poultry brine recipe is, in fact, a 21 degree brine.

Here's more information on brines and brining:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ma ... king-brine

Have you cooked a wild turkey before?

They're notorious for drying out faster than a crick in a west Texas drought!

I would spatchcock (or butterfly) the bird (cut down the backbone and and spread the bird out flat) and cut into all joints, especially where the femur connects to the body (I pop the ball out of the socket), that will help the turkey cook in nearly half the time which will mean less drying out.
I'd also cover it with bacon, that helps a lot.

Bob
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Sat Apr 28, 2012 20:51

What a surprise- the guy named "Baconologist" recommends covering in bacon! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the link, that's the info I was looking for, it'll take a while to get through and understand it all

What threw me off so much in the Ruhlman/Polcyn recipe was 350 grams of kosher salt in 1 gal of water, long with another 1.5 oz of pink salt. If I understand this correctly, this would produce a much stronger brine than 21degrees. However, if that's right for poultry, great, I'm just trying to understand it all. The ratios given by Ross for 100 vs. 50 degrees, compared to the Ruhlman recipe, he's about 3/4 lb salt plus the pink salt. That still seems high but not quite at 50 degrees. I'm going to keep reading.

How about my question about after it comes out of the brine- refrigerate until the weekend or freeze?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 28, 2012 21:05

Tooth, if you make the brine on the mild side and give the turkey more time in the brine the results will come out about the same. Just for an example if you gave the piece two days in 20° brine or four days in 10° brine the total pick up will be nearly the same.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Apr 28, 2012 23:36

In the Charcuterie book by Ruhlman/Polcyn that I have on pages 63-64 "Herb-Brined Roasted Chicken or Turkey" it's 225 grams of salt per gallon of water.

Bob
Godspeed!

Bob
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Sun Apr 29, 2012 14:08

I see we're talking about 2 different recipes. I was looking at pg 80, herb brined smoked turkey breast. I think I have enough info to be dangerous and come up with a recipe of my own thanks to you guys. After I come up w one I'll post it for everyone and let you know how it turns out.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Apr 29, 2012 14:37

225 grams is a half pound. As Bob stated a half pound of salt in a gallon of water is a 21° brine. We really need to start using the same system of weights and measures in our posts. If we start out using pounds and ounces lets pounds and ounces or make the conversion to metric weights and use those.
Example: a cube that has interior dimentions of 3.94 inches is in truth 10 centimeters cubed and therefore will have a volume of one liter or a bit more than a quart.
Ross- tightwad home cook
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Wed May 09, 2012 22:47

So I made a 21 degree brine, 1.5 oz of pink salt, 6.5 oz of kosher salt/gallon, with .25 oz dextrose per gallon.

I added some black pepper corns, dried thyme, fresh garlic, lemon zest & juice of 1 lemon, and some bay leaves.

I used 1.5 gallons of brine, and injected the bird before submersing. After hanging out in the brine for 3 days, I let it rest in the fridge for a day and then smoked it for 3 hours before finishing in the oven.

It turned out great! I will definitely try this one again. Any thoughts on the ratio of pink to kosher salt? Too much, too little? The turkey definitely had a cure taste and more so in the legs which were the dark meat. Tasted and looked a little bit like ham.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 10, 2012 00:30

Hi Tooth! Hey, I'm glad everything turned out so well with your brine. Do you happen to have a photo or two?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri May 11, 2012 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45

Do you happen to have a photo or two?
I do, but just of me with the bird before I started cleaning it. I'm not one to take a ton of photos, but I've been trying to remember to do so more when I'm cooking/making sausage.

Unfortunately I need an imageshack account to post. Let me see if I can figure it out.
tooth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tooth » Fri May 11, 2012 13:00

He was a Jake, weighed 17.5 lbs, had an 8.5" beard and only 3/4" spurs. Tasted delicious though and now I have a whole bunch of turkey stock in the freezer. Going off on a tangent, but it bothers me how many hunters would shoot a turkey or pheasant or whatever and only take the breast and throw away the legs, etc. There was so much meat in the legs! And boiling the carcass down after it was in the smoker leaves a nice smokiness to the stock. Gonna be perfect for white turkey chili!

ok my rant is over!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri May 11, 2012 13:27

Hey Tooth, You wrote:
Going off on a tangent, but it bothers me how many hunters would shoot a turkey or pheasant or whatever and only take the breast and throw away the legs, etc. There was so much meat in the legs! And boiling the carcass down after it was in the smoker leaves a nice smokiness to the stock. Gonna be perfect for white turkey chili! ok my rant is over!
That bird is gorgeous! And you didn't "rant". Most of us believe as you do in using absolutely everything on the turkey! Good to hear it pal.
I once took a bow and arrows, crossed the creek in front of the ranch house, and headed out deer hunting. I told the crew I was going to bring back a rack of antlers wearing a deer! I showed up later with a wild turkey and for months, I would detect "gobble gobble" from several ranch hands every time I turned my back. The turkeys out here just refuse to wear antlers! :roll:
Nice photos pard. Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue May 15, 2012 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 11, 2012 16:30

I think that your turkey is dead. He was a very fine looking bird but I don't think that resusitation is posible. Perhaps eating him is a good plan. I hate it when people waste good food. All of the bits and pieces picked from the bones after making stock make fine soups, sandwiches, and salads.
Ross- tightwad home cook
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Sat May 12, 2012 03:21

Nice bird Tooth
Unfortunately I had to skip turkey hunting this year. I tore my rotator cuff in January.The doc said no hunting or fishing for at least four months.But my nephew was lucky enough to bag a 20 pound tom.Smoked him up using Stan's recipe on page 535 from the home production of quality meats and sausage. I used the brown sugar. brined for 4 days but did not pump. It turned out absolutely awesome.Smoked with hickory apple blend.

John