Colorado fires

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jun 13, 2013 14:58

Bad news.

Sister-in-law just called, in tears. The house, barn, and 5 acres of timber burned to the ground. An adjacent 10 acre tract that was sold off when my mother-in-law died, a few years back, also burned to the ground.

The worst part is all the memories that went up in smoke. You can buy new furniture, but you can't entirely replace the old furniture that was passed down to you, and the times that you spent there with family. The house was a log cabin, parts of which dated back to 1923. We spent many a happy Christmas season and summer there with them. Now, it's gone.

So, as they say, "Get your house in order."
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Thu Jun 13, 2013 15:06

I am really sorry to hear that
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 15:54

Russ, ol' pard, that's a tough one. So sorry to hear the bad news. It's hard to believe the fire was in the exact same place as last year. Seems like just a continuation - like the fire just took a few months off and then started all over again. What a nightmare. Have your relatives got a place to go now? Keep us posted pal. We'll keep all the fire victims in our prayers.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 13, 2013 17:02

Very sad news. Even after the rebuilding it will take years for the trees to grow. The loss of family heirlooms is always difficult.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jun 15, 2013 17:28

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. Yes, I'm sure that it's hard on the Colorado Springs community after last year's Waldo Canyon fire and now the Black Forest fire. :cry:

Some of those old pines bore marks of Indian trails from 150 years ago. There was a wonderful meadow in the back with an intermittent stream and a beautiful view of Pike's Peak framed by the pines. Pine forests take many years to regenerate. In that particular Colorado climate (Palmer Divide), there'll probably be 20 or 30 years of aspen trees before the conifers can re-establish themselves. ∞

Across the road from our family's former house, there's a 16-acre forestry management area. No doubt the students will have their work cut out for them. :sad:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 15, 2013 19:33

Some of those old pines are quite fire proof. Just all depends on the fire. many years ago the indians set the forests on fire to improve the hunting.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jun 23, 2013 23:19

Here's what my sister-in-law's place in Black(ened) Forest, Colorado, looks like after a wildfire burned it to the ground. This was a two-story log home, 2500 square feet. Note the lack of rubble. The fire was so hot, inside and out, that nearly everything was reduced to ash. Note that they had recently cleared all brush and trees away from the house, as advised by the insurance company and local fire marshals. Incredibly, the house next door survived with nothing but scorch marks. (This was the southern edge of the fire.)

They aren't allowed in for longer than 20 minutes at a time, while wearing a HAZMAT suit and breathing filter, due to the toxicity of the metals used so widely these days in electronics, televisions, etc. The state requires "sifters" to retrieve anything left in the way of china, silver, etc.

So... "Be careful out there," says Smokey the Duck.
no smileys on THIS one.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 24, 2013 02:56

After two or three inches of rain to wash down the ash all that will be left is inorganic. I doubt that there will even be any charcoal. I have explored the ruins of factories that burned in the 19th century and kegs of nails had fused into solid lumps. That is so sad.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Jun 24, 2013 21:37

That is a sad sight, my heart goes out to your family. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 23:01

What a tragic waste. Our prayers are certainly with all the victims.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D