Refuse Corner & Debris Receptacle

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 07, 2013 04:40

Will mushroom sausage be on the list? :shock: :???:
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Will Richard III ever RIP

Post by markjass » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:14

Richard III (2 October 1452 - 22 August 1485) was King of England for two years, from 1483 until his death in 1485 in the Battle of Bosworth Field. He was the last king of the House of York and the last of the Plantagenet dynasty. His defeat at Bosworth Field, the decisive battle of the Wars of the Roses, symbolises the end of the Middle Ages in England. He is the subject of the play Richard III by William Shakespeare (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III_of_England). If you have read Shakespear ("Now is the winter of our discontent"; "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!) and have read English History you will know that he was and to a lesser extent now painted as a child killing evil person. Who knows what the truth is?

After the battle his body was brought to Augustinian Greyfriars Friary in Leicester, where he was buried in a crude grave. Following the friary's dissolution in 1538 (Thanks to Henry VIII) and its subsequent demolition, Richard's tomb was lost. Anyway after a lot of dective work, on the 12th of September 2012 his remains were found, buried under a carpark in Leicester.

Rather sadly "An unseemly and undignified" legal battle over where the remains of the last Plantagenet king of England, Richard III, should be laid to rest resumes on Tuesday, 528 years after his death and a year after his skeleton was found under a Leicester car park. Richard's remains are currently in a laboratory at Leicester University (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... WEML6619I2).

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Nov 29, 2013 14:16

MarkJass wrote:Rather sadly "An unseemly and undignified" legal battle over where the remains of the last Plantagenet king of England, Richard III, should be laid to rest resumes on Tuesday, 528 years after his death and a year after his skeleton was found under a Leicester car park. Richard's remains are currently in a laboratory at Leicester University
...thus touching off yet another war in the Wars of the Roses, over who will pay 528 years of accrued parking charges.
Yikes! These guys have nukes, don't they? :shock:
Duk

I needed a little history refresher, so I had a look at Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:The Wars of the Roses were a series of dynastic wars fought between supporters of two rival branches of the royal House of Plantagenet: the houses of Lancaster and York (whose heraldic symbols were the red and the white rose, respectively) for the throne of England. They were fought in several sporadic episodes between 1455 and 1485, although there was related fighting both before and after this period. They resulted from the social and financial troubles following the Hundred Years' War, combined with the minority and weak rule of Henry VI, which revived interest in the alternative claim to the throne of Richard, Duke of York. The final victory went to a relatively remote Lancastrian claimant, Henry Tudor, who defeated the last Yorkist king Richard III and married Edward IV's daughter Elizabeth of York to unite the two houses. The House of Tudor subsequently ruled England and Wales until 1603.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Nov 29, 2013 19:32

I had to have a little refresher myself. There I was thinking Ricky 3 might have made a name for himself in the Crusades, when in fact it turned out to be Rickardo 1, who failed to win back Jerusalem from Saladin, (not to be confused with Palladin, a.k.a. Richard Boone). Seems most of the future media attention in regard to English royalty went to Art, who had that whole Knights of the Round Table and war against the Saxons thing going on. Yep, plenty of movie material there, Sir Lancelot, Guenevire, Merlin, etc.

Why would the pristine waters of the Ganges ever need to be softened? Is curry a common sausage spice in other parts of the world. Holy cow, so many questions! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”