Refuse Corner & Debris Receptacle

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
SAR

Post by SAR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 06:19

looking forward to learning .....
MRMatuszek

Post by MRMatuszek » Wed Sep 25, 2013 08:53

Hi, Looks very interesting. I have not yet started making sausages and Project B seems just the thing to get me going and on the right track.
Mike Matuszek
Mike Matuszek
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Sep 25, 2013 14:56

I'm in - taking my first sausage making course this Sunday :grin:
M.D.Flan

Post by M.D.Flan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 17:10

I want to join the next project b. not sure how
You are in like Flynn M.D. :wink: See your email. ~CW~
Last edited by M.D.Flan on Wed Sep 25, 2013 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 18:19

UPDATE: Project B2 (geeeze, this sounds like some kind of vitamin injection, doesn't it?)

Project B was originally organized for those who wish to learn the very basics of sausagemaking. It was also for more experienced members who wished to participate to help others overcome some of the obstacles.

In describing the project, we had written: "There will be a ton of questions and we encourage those with experience to share their knowledge while remembering it is a beginner`s project. Let it be said upfront, "There are no `silly` questions here... just silly answers".

The outline has been planned and written for absolute beginners with possible confidence problems and a suggested reading and study agenda is included. Once the registration has taken place, the forum topic will be closed to all persons not registered. This is to prevent those choosing NOT to participate from posting remarks or criticizing beginners` responses or sausage photos. The format includes reading and studying the very basic issues of the craft, while making "fresh" type sausages and then "cured & prep-cooked"- type sausages for grilling. Finishing up, we`ll touch on Semi-dry curing and even make a fermented spreadable sausage. As the chat opens, please pose questions that would help benefit others also.

This is YOUR forum. Send me suggestions and corrections. All I ask is that in this particular project, we remember it is for beginners and not geared for more advanced sausages and techniques. (advanced techniques will be studied in a later forum). Please remember courtesy, fellowship, and the rules of the WD forum.

Please remember to send me your email address if you register and it's not in your profile. I promise not to give it to anyone. I need it to communicate with you outside the PM format. If you would like to add it to your site profile, simply click on "profile" on the top navigation bar and fill it in.

Those signing in so far are:

1. ssorllih
2. El DuckO
3. Sambal Badjak
4. AJWillsnet
5. Grasshopper
6. Tasplas
7. Redzed
8. Crusty44
9. Hamn'Cheese
10. DDWaterdog (I need your email address - I promise not to tell)
11. SAR
12. M.D.Flan
13. Shuswap (I need your email address - I promise not to tell)
14. MRMatuszek
15. Sawhorseray
16. Ursula
17. Markjass

It's lookin' pretty good folks! In about another week, we'll close it and start shopping for supplies and doing some reading!

Thanks and Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Oct 01, 2013 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Tue Oct 01, 2013 04:15

Got room for one more? :grin:
Ursula
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Oct 01, 2013 04:25

I'm in with it! I might not have a lot of smoking experience before this forum, but I've been making sausage for a awhile now, all fresh. I'll post what I'm doing later this week, had to take a rain check on the chicken thighs. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 09:36

Okay Sawhorse, Ursula, and Markjass! You're registered. (See updated post above). It's startin' to shape up nicely. Got some great folks ready to make great sausage! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:09

CW. cool you got my PM. Have been full on.

I call these things artificial road barriers. They are problems/issues in your/my mind that can cause non participation. However throwing them to the wider world can dissolve them or make them solvable.

Here is mine. I have some fermentated sausages, cured breslor and pork loin that are in my curing/drying chamber. They have been drying for 32 days. How can I start another batch of fermentated sausages off if they have not reached the required weight loss? The maximum temperature that is likely to occur in the temperature range over the next month is going to be between a low of 8 degrees and a high of 21 degrees. The humidity may drop below 70% for a short length of time.

This could be an artificial road barrier.
How important is it that I maintain the temperature of my drying goods between 12 and 16 until they lose 30% of their weight? If it is how could I solve this?

This is irrelevant if the fermentated sausage part of this project does not kick off until the my products are ready.

What I am saying is do not dismiss participating in this project if you have artificial road barriers. There are many people with a huge amount of experience who may be able to help you. However if the barriers include: should I measure the ph of the sausages or run from a potential tidal wave (big local news), should I start the project if I am likely to be sent to prison for 20 years, should I go to my in-laws for dinner or smoke my sausages solutions may be more difficult to find.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 02:38

Anyone chompin' at the bit to get going? I had hoped for twenty (three more). The last PB had nearly 40 sign up. How about if we wait for three more to register then close and proceed?
I'll post a new proposed outline within the next couple of days for your recommendations and opinions. I'll also include a shopping list along with some suggested reading to do while we're waiting on UPS to deliver our goodies.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Thu Oct 03, 2013 03:58

No! just use a hackamore, no chomping. Myself I was thinking of colder weather to start. I still have wood to cut and split. All the new comers that signed in for the forum, must not know what project B-2 is. If a person looks at the list. It has a lot of pro's signed up and that will be great for help. Then there is Chuckwagon's bacteria school and test. The first go around was fun and very educational. Another thing I am out of cactus jack meat sticks and I always say I have to get to making some. Going to the project B school makes a person really do it. Maybe more promotion. That is my two cents worth.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:23

Say Mike, just curious...
Did you ever toss a lasso called a "Hoolihan" when you were workin' that Montana ranch? It's a loop thrown at the ground to bounce up and catch the hooves of a bally-faced critter. :lol:
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Thu Oct 03, 2013 16:17

CW! Nope but do know heading & healing. All the new people that signed on the forum this year will not know what they are missing. It will give them an education in how NOT to make there offspring or friends sick. Project B-2 is the ground base of sausage making. Second go around for me will be fine tuning. Getting sick would be no fun. More promotion! Ride safe.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:27

Okay Hoss! I'm in for another round. I still have way too much to learn. Although I have a lot of irons in the fire just now I will try to keep up.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:57

Hey Mr. Wagon - please to count me in on Project B.2 if it is not too late.

(Will send you my email address.)

Thanks,
Jeff