Refuse Corner & Debris Receptacle

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Oct 03, 2012 00:34

The ones willing to learn, always learn.

I knew everything when I was about 9 years old, and than I was about 22 when I discovered I don't know anything.
The one who knows he/she is stupid, knows more than the one who doesn't even know that. :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Project B "Old Timer's Philosophical Chatter"

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 06:39

Project B "Old Timer's Philosophical Chat"
These Old Guys Will Cure The Problems Of The World! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Project B "Old Timer's Philosophical Chatter"

Post by el Ducko » Wed Oct 03, 2012 14:58

Chuckwagon wrote:Project B "Old Timer's Philosophical Chat"
These Old Guys Will Cure The Problems Of The World! :wink:
Hey! ...who you callin' old, Son?

Why... it takes one to know 'bout the pot callin' the kettle not far from where the apple lands from the tree. ...or somethin' lack that.

(Betcha can't translate THAT one for Ursula!)(I'm having trouble with it myself.) :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 22:02

Now listen here.... DuckO!
Don't make me use UPPERCASE! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Thu Oct 04, 2012 16:50

Hey mister cowboy, or whomever may know...gotta couple questions, trying to get my supplies and equip together...yeeee hawwww, hope to get to play in a couple weeks..got some deadlines pressing me which I'm finishing up

Anyway, my A-maz-n is on its way, plan on picking up a 40" masterbuilt and stuffer tomorrow ...seems that sales are going on, must be close time for new models to come out huh!

So .... do I need to buy hog casing pliers or will regular ones work, also will 3/4 " hog casings ( forgot the name) metal nuts...work, I see many different sizes offered.

...for the large 77mm colagen casings should I buy natural or mahogany color?

...i seem to remember a comment that non-fat milk powder is not the same as the non-fat dry powdered milk we have in our kitchens...curious as to how they are different, in my reading Stan has only mentioned it as a binder, I would not have known NOT to use what I have if not for your infinite wisdom " ole buckaroo" :lol:

Trying to get all the items I need ordered and ready...can those of us who came into this project late post our pic's on a separate thread...maybe call it project B ...latecomers

How do ya like your new plantation cowboy...I really believe you are the real deal CW, and I picture "Tonto" some where on your range.

Can hardly wait to get to el duck's chorizo...sounds and looks so scrumptious...so happy to be part of this gang...
Just passin thru ....
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Thu Oct 04, 2012 17:15

I am definitely learning...my little girl who's 5 (yes, I am starting over, my oldest is 33) couldn't believe I had homework ... Between Stan's textbook on meat and this forum ... I am learning this science and enjoying it... :lol:

It's much more interesting than my profession... Taxation :razz:
Just passin thru ....
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21

Angel, you wrote:
I am learning this science and enjoying it...
You just made my day! Thanks for your remarks. :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 19, 2012 18:35

You could use a hubcap for holding the chips on the hotplate. :cool:
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Oct 19, 2012 20:02

ssorllih wrote:You could use a hubcap for holding the chips on the hotplate. :cool:
Oh, yeah! The man's got style!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 20, 2012 17:22

CW wrote:
Along the same lines, I always prefer to add sodium nitrite (Cure #1) to a brining solution while I "cure" fresh pork ribs. The nitrite changes the meat into ham prior to barbecuing. My guests just rave about them. (However, because the meat is not actually that from the rear leg, it doesn`t taste like exactly like ham).
I often throw in a rack of ribs into the brine for a day or two when curing a ham or loin. Then smoke it until its cooked. After chilling it's one of the tastiest "meat on a bone" eat with you fingers feasts you can have. My father told me that in Poland it was common to cure and smoke the whole side bacon part with the ribs attached.

Busy day today. Making the fresh and smoked chorizo, Dziadek's turkey sausage, salami Finocchiona , making a brine for a pork loin and a couple of small picnic hams and doing a dry cure for some schinkenspeck. Spent the entire day yesterday preparing the meat, measuring the spices, studying the formulations and of course cleaning up.
Last edited by redzed on Sat Oct 20, 2012 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 18:47

CW if you have time can we get your brine solution recipe.?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:05

Sure Grasshopper, here ya go: :lol:
How strong must the curing capability be? For immersion, pumped, or massaged products, the legal maximum in-going nitrite limit is 200 part per million. This is achieved when 116 grams (4.2 ounces) of Cure #1 is added to one gallon of water.

As far as the salinity is concerned, I like to use a 21° SAL brining-curing solution by adding 3/4 cup salt to 1 gallon of water, along with 85 grams (3 ounces) of sugar. So, my favorite rib-brining recipe looks like this:

"Lone Peak Longhorn Liquid"
Rib Curing- Brine

one gallon of water
116 grams (4.2 oz.) of Cure #1
3/4 cup non-iodized salt
85 grams (3 oz.) sugar

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:17

Howdy back everybody. I'm still unpacking the car from the trip to CA.
The rest of this class is gonna get interesting. Most of my smokers are still in MO.
CW, I just looked at your brine recipe. Is that a screw up on the 2 x 3/4 cup salt?
I won't tell if it is. :roll:
Chuckwagon wrote: 3/4 cup non-iodized salt
3/4 cup non-iodized salt

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:31

What? Who? Me? Screw up? Sheeeyuks pal, I can only remember screwin' up once in my life and that was once when I thought I'd screwed up! :mrgreen:
Nice to have you back in action Gunny. Now....
GET BACK TO WORK.... and don't make me use uppercase! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Sun Oct 21, 2012 00:18

CW, I kinda figured it to be a misprint and not a screw up. :cool:
I've been trying to stay up with the reading part.
I forgot my stuffing tubes to the stuffer. Got some more coming. Just the plastic stock ones though. :cry:
So I made another batch of breakfast, Italian and chorizo. I had to settle for packing in ZipLock baggies. Hey it works. :razz:
I've got the Csabai and the Kabanosy done. That's when I figured out that I had no tubes. GRRR. Must be the Oldsheimers catching up with me.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker