Ice damage

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Ice damage

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 23, 2013 23:20

We are in the beginnings of a deep freeze in the north east US. I was outside a bit ago and noticed that my rain barrel was full frozen over and beginning to bulge on the bottom. So I pull it over and chopped a hole in the ice to drain it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Jan 24, 2013 02:22

Drain it? We have been frozen solid for a week now. Highs are low double digits and wind chill is well below zero. Three dog nights are now four dog nights...we went out and adopted today :lol:
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 02:43

Hang in there folks!

I'm thinking about all of you, as I sweat in a tee shirt, in 70 degree weather, while insulating my new smoker, in Texas... :twisted:

Seriously, stay warm. I have a sister in Maryland, and she has been telling me how bad it is...

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 06:48

OOOoooo! Last week we dipped down a few degrees to 43 BELOW zero. We're having problems hearing other folks speak, as their words often become frozen in mid-air. Most of us have learned how to read lips!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 24, 2013 14:29

Sure is going to be a noisy place come spring when that all thaws out and everybody is talking at once.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 14:41

We are in a cold snap too. It got down to 36F for a couple of hour early this morning but will bounce back to the mid 70's by noon.
I got an e-mail from my daughter she got 16 inches of snow , high winds, white out conditions, roads closed and it's -40 and expected to stay that way for at least a week, that's why I migrate :mrgreen:
Col. Big Guy
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Jan 24, 2013 15:00

There is a upside though. The gang is coming over this Saturday for our beer stick making session .We will be cranking out 100 lbs. of venison sticks.
These cold temps sure make cold smokin easy.
I did a batch (25 lbs. ) of all beef last week. Some folks just will not eat venison since CWD has moved into Wisconsin.
It is 3.7 degrees now. Should help the ice fishermen though.

John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 24, 2013 15:29

BigGuy Just follow the wild geese. They know.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 20:18

You Poor Devils,
Down Under we have a balmy 33 Centigrade, 90% humidity, fires, more fires, dust storms and several cyclones with rain in certain areas up to 12 inches in 24 hours and it's coming down my way. Quite normal now with the changed weather patterns.
Not very good for smoking csabai.
Jan.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 24, 2013 20:44

Here in the Sacramento Valley we've been in the mid-20's at night and mid-40's during the day for a couple of weeks now, dry for the most part. If I drive east for 90 minutes towards the Sierras I can hit snow, tho I never go there this time of year just because of that reason. Managed to pull off a beautiful pulled porkbutt roast in the Pro 100 the other day, starting to think about another batch of smoked chickens for the Super Bowl. With our Mighty Niners being in the Super Bowl for the first time in 18 years my wife and I went to Best Buy yesterday and walked out with a new 70" flat screen Visio for the family room. A friend is coming over today to help me move the 60"er into our bedroom, I'm giving him the 50"er that's in there for his help. The Giants sweeping the Series, The Niners in the Super Bowl, even the Warriors becoming relevant this year. It's a great year to be a San Francisco native, and a great year for TV! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 25, 2013 18:33

...just back from the Colorado Springs area. The Front Range isn't getting much snow this year. I'm afraid that this summer, fire season will be really bad. So... enjoy your snow, you what got some.

Back home in Texas, we finally got a 3" rain, the first since October. Please send more.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.