sausage with ground canine !!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ajwillsnet
User
User

sausage with ground canine !!

Post by ajwillsnet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 22:36

Hello forum readers:
Here is a humorous link to a woman making sausage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dhy-S7smYs . Listen as she describes adding ground canine.

Bert
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 02:09

Cowabunga Bert! :shock:
Not only does she add ground "canine" (you know... the hot red pepper... "canine pepper"), but she also uses a spice she calls Marge-Jerry-Um. Goodness, it seems like I've tried some of 'that there mar-jerry-um' in some Polish sausages. :roll: Bless her heart! She's doing the best she can with what she's got.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat May 04, 2013 18:03

Speaking of canines. Lets talk about coyotes. They are canines right? Let me just go ahead and save you some trouble. Myself and a few others in this area were brought up that you don't kill something less you plan on eating it. Its one of those rules that is beat in your head from a young age ..... of course when I was young we didn't have coyotes like we do now.

All that aside, we shot a coyote one day and my friend Roehoe put in that we should follow the rule to the letter so we cleaned the animal and made plans on BBQ'ing it - low and slow cause if this can turn briskett into manna from heaven just imagine what this would do for coyote. Rohoe also suggested that his wife soak the carcass in a "marmilade" for one day cause he said her "marmilade" would work magic.

After soaking in the "marmilade" the carcass was dusted down with some magic rub and it was put in the smoker to bath in pecan smoke for several hours. The smell of the herbs and "marlilade" slowly cooking was incredible. Unfortunately, the taste of coyote has much to be desired and I assure you if that was the only meat I had to eat I would become a vegetarian or go on a hunger strike.

Just wanted to caution you so you too wan't fall for the lure of cheap meat and I suspect had coyotes been plentiful when I was a boy that coyote would be the one exception to the rule.

Oh, and before you ask, she won't give out her "marmilade recipe" but I assure you it tastes like no other marmilade you have ever eaten.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun May 05, 2013 00:26

Well at least you tried, Kudo's from here. :mrgreen:
Col. Big Guy
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun May 05, 2013 01:08

I laughed at the video, she tried very hard.

Just glad she never added any Cilantro - or "cill ant ro"? :smile:
Ron
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun May 05, 2013 20:29

Butterbean wrote:Speaking of canines. Lets talk about coyotes.
Just wanted to caution you so you too wan't fall for the lure of cheap meat and I suspect had coyotes been plentiful when I was a boy that coyote would be the one exception to the rule..
Shooting called-in coyotes is a runnin' ton of fun, my partner and I have killed hundreds over the years. We have tried a couple of times to find a way to prepare them for the table, absolutely unedible fried , roasted, BBQ'd, boiled, or even turned into dog food. We still always shoot them on sight, any time of year, leave 'em to rot. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon May 06, 2013 05:57

When touring Vietnam five years ago I came across a number of restaurants that specialized in dishes prepared from dog meat. In one restaurant there were dressed fido carcasses hanging in the window. In the countryside I also observed dogs in pens, raised for the table. So those of you who need training in preparing cayote meat, I suggest you find a Vietnamese cook to help you. The link below is from my travel blog where I describe an encounter with a huge transport of dogs destined for the slaughter houses.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-e ... /tpod.html
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon May 06, 2013 06:54

Animals that eat meat aren't very good to eat. Dogs raised in pens for food are most likely to be fed grains and fat to make them up ready for the table. I'm going to drop going further with what I feel about dog-eaters, I'd most likely be kicked off the forum.

Gee, isn't cat-meat more of what a lot of folks desire? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 07, 2013 00:16

I'll go with the pheasant over the canine any day. Nice hunt!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue May 07, 2013 22:01

I have eaten all kinds of things in my time that others would not, such as reptiles and insects, but have no desire or interest in sampling a canine. :lol:

But then, maybe a nice leg of coyote after a week in an equilibrium brine, seasoned with garlic, rosemary and tellicherry pepper, then roasted low and slow, just might change my mind! :grin:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue May 07, 2013 22:37

redzed wrote:I have eaten all kinds of things in my time that others would not, such as reptiles and insects, but have no desire or interest in sampling a canine. :lol:

But then, maybe a nice leg of coyote after a week in an equilibrium brine, seasoned with garlic, rosemary and tellicherry pepper, then roasted low and slow, just might change my mind! :grin:
After a week the best thing to do would be to toss the coyote in the garbage and maybe drink the brine. I'd think even the fillet mignon cut of coyote would cause any man to puke, regardless of whatever it could be soaked in for however long. I've tried a few times and a few different ways, never been able to swallow one bite, just comes right back up in the throat. Terrible stuff, a vile animal. RAY
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed May 08, 2013 06:53

sawhorseray wrote:
redzed wrote:I have eaten all kinds of things in my time that others would not, such as reptiles and insects, but have no desire or interest in sampling a canine. :lol:

After a week the best thing to do would be to toss the coyote in the garbage and maybe drink the brine. I'd think even the fillet mignon cut of coyote would cause any man to puke, regardless of whatever it could be soaked in for however long. I've tried a few times and a few different ways, never been able to swallow one bite, just comes right back up in the throat. Terrible stuff, a vile animal. RAY
So then Ray, if I am understanding your position on this correctly, you are not a proponent of the equilibrium brine method?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed May 08, 2013 23:32

Tennessee Ernie Ford used to discribe the cooking of a country ham. It went something like this; First soak it in good beer over over night then put it in the oven and start roasting it at about 250° F for several hours all the while basting it with sorgum syrup and bourbon whiskey after 24 hours start basting it with brandy about supper time on the following day pull that ham out of the oven make a big batch of biscuits throw the ham out to the dogs and sop up that gravy with the biscuits.
Ross- tightwad home cook