Funny where the internet will take you

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Funny where the internet will take you

Post by Shuswap » Sun Sep 29, 2013 00:28

Tomorrow I start sausage making in earnest at a course at Stuffers in Langley BC. In the mean time I have been preparing my sausage making work area by intruding on the newly painted laundry room including a new stainless steel sink. But this post is more about my fascination with the internet and sausage making.

Tonight`s dinner is home-made pizza with Serbian sausage (Skremska). I couldn`t find any reference to the recipe in the Kutas bible but I found this on the internet. I was intrigued by where it took me.

Academicjournals.org cited an article in the African Journal of Biotechnology by faculty members from the University of Belgrade, Faculty of Agriculture in Belgrade, Serbia, the title of which was: "Chemical, sensory and microbiological characteristics of Sremska sausage (traditional dry-fermented Serbian sausage) as affected by pig breed."

I kind of lost interest when I realized none of the pig breeds studied are available here in BC but must be in Africa. Fun though!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 00:47

Shuswap, Do you fish Pitt, Stave, or Harrison Lakes? You're just a little east of Redzed... right smack dab in the heart of some of the most beautiful scenery in the world! Hey Shuswap, you've got to let us know how your classes turn out at Stuffer's in Langly. Did you make your own Skremska? Inquiring minds want to know. As far as I know, Rytek didn't have a Serbian Skremska recipe. Can you tell us a little about it?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Sep 29, 2013 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 29, 2013 02:35

Welcome to the forum Shuswap!

Sremska (not Skremska) refers to two products from the district of Srem in Serbia: Sremska Kobasica and Sremska Salama. Here is a recipe for the kobasica:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDqGzuhcPkU

Have fun at the Stuffer's sausage class tomorrow and give us a review of it.

Next weekend I will be heading to the mainland to attend the Fraser Valley Food Show, and taste some of the entries in the Great Canadian Sausage Making Competion. Stuffer's is one of the sponsors.

http://www.fraservalleyfoodshow.com/
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Sep 29, 2013 03:40

redzed wrote:Welcome to the forum Shuswap!

Next weekend I will be heading to the mainland to attend the Fraser Valley Food Show, and taste some of the entries in the Great Canadian Sausage Making Competion. Stuffer's is one of the sponsors.

http://www.fraservalleyfoodshow.com/
We'll be there too. The Gold winner from last year operates Sedo's in Salmon Arm where I visit frequently for the tasties :mrgreen:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Sep 30, 2013 15:58

Chuckwagon wrote:Shuswap, Do you fish Pitt, Stave, or Harrison Lakes? You're just a little east of Redzed... right smack dab in the heart of some of the most beautiful scenery in the world! Hey Shuswap, you've got to let us know how your classes turn out at Stuffer's in Langly. Did you make your own Skremska? Inquiring minds want to know. As far as I know, Rytek didn't have a Serbian Skremska recipe. Can you tell us a little about it?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If Redzed is on the Island I'm a ferry ride and 4-1/2 hours east of him. We bought the Sremska from Sedo's in Salmon Arm.