Stuffers of Langley BC Beginners Course

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Stuffers of Langley BC Beginners Course

Post by Shuswap » Mon Sep 30, 2013 17:14

Image[/img]

Reno De Gianni and Bill Leathem are the owners of Stuffers Supply Company in Langley, BC. Near as I can tell this is a full service outlet for any and all sausage making equipment and supplies, without the meat.

Yesterday I attended their beginner`s course in fresh sausage making along with about 23 others. It began with the Master Giorgio (sp) making a batch of Italian sausage starting with removing the bone and gland from a pork shoulder, cutting it into cubes and grinding it through a 3/8`s plate. He also made a particular point about removing the gland from the butt since it probably is tainted. I hadn't seen this point made on the many You Tube videos I had watched so made particular note of that. The photo below shows the gland. They then added the individual ingredients including the garlic soaking in red wine. We learned how Master Giorgio mixes the ingredients into the ground meat to ensure complete mixing, which is easier to do than to describe in words.

We were then sent to our stations in groups of four. We made the Italian sausage with pre-mixed ingredients while all 10 lbs. of the Master`s sausage was being cooked on the bbq for our lunch. Of course, it being Italian sausage we had a tumbler of red wine to go with the sausage. We made three other sausages in 5 lb batches from pre-ground pork and pre-mixed ingredients: breakfast, bratwurst and charizo.

There were four highly qualified sausage makers roaming amongst the stations giving us the opportunity to get tips and our many novice questions answered. We were let loose in the store with a special discount offered to attendees so I came home with supplies and a 5lb Lem stuffer.

Having never made sausage until yesterday, the course confirmed for me that, as a hobby, this will be fun!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Oct 01, 2013 15:27

Sounds as though you're off and running in the right direction! Enjoy your new hobby and feel free to post questions and triumphs, there's loads of help here and everyone is interested in the same thing, sausage. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 02, 2013 06:30

Shushwap, looks like you learned a few things and also had fun. Understandably, Stuffers is not providing these classes as a community service, but nevertheless it's great that they are. And it's a good sign that the number of sausage maker hobbyists is growing in BC.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13

Shuswap, do you realize that meat was so cold that it turned your fingers blue? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D