Step 1 for Chicken Apple sausage

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Step 1 for Chicken Apple sausage

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Dec 05, 2013 18:06

Last week I got a copy of Bruce Aidells' sausage book from Amazon and wanted to try his Chicken-Apple sausage recipe for starters. I was up early coring and peeling Granny Smith apples for the dehydrator, big Chicken-Apple sausage plans in the near future. It wasn't long before I was thinking of a friends little crank-handle unit that just pops those babies out perfectly in no time. Of course I'd get one if I thought I was going to be doing this on a regular basis, for a dozen apples a couple of times a year I can just suffer. Now the dehydrator is purring away and sometime this afternoon step one should be in the bag. I noticed yesterday that dried apples were going for right about $8 a pound so it'll be interesting to see what my $3 worth at 69≠ lb turns out to be. Whatever it is it's going to be enough for the ten pound batch of sausage I have in mind.
The fact that the sliced apples have to be soaked for 5-10 minutes in ascorbic acid added a little to the cost. I used about a quart of OJ from the fridge and squeezed in some juice from the backyard lemon tree.
Looks like I might have to wait a week to find a more acceptable price on chicken thighs, but I'll be ready to go when I do. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Dec 06, 2013 01:03

Those ten apples turned out giving me a yield of 5&3/4 ounces of dried apple, far less than anticipated. Recipe calls for a ounce of dried apple for every pound of grind. My wife just ordered me some hippie crank coring and peeling machine from Amazon for $25, this project is on hold till it arrives. Oooo, I can see apple pie in my future! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”